Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,100

2 members and 3,098 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

How do i tell if a rat is an ASF?

I was just curious about the rats i buy from a local pet store if they are ASF or not... How do I tell?

Thanks

Re: How do i tell if a rat is an ASF?

ASF's are mice-size.
    They are almost always white with different shades of brown (some almost black) in blotches and spots.

Heres some pictures.

Hope that clarifies some things.

Thanks

Yes thank you, the rats I buy look a lot different than that. The adults are much larger and have shorter hair. Thank you

Thanks

Well the ASFs are about twice the size of mice (at least mine are)but still alot smaller than a rat. I think the crazy eyeballs and hamster-like fur is what really distinguishes them
    Check out www.killerpets.com and let me know what you think! Always looking for ways to improve the site

Registered User SapphireTigress's Avatar
    Thanks

What always gets me is their ears! They are so awesome. Also, their fur is more ruffled and has a hint of curl to it.

And the price for them would be much higher. The local herp store here sold 1:3 for $30 until he decided not to carry them and we bought them up.
    Balls aplenty, but never enough! 0.1 pied, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 het albino, 0.1 poss het albino, 3.0 black pastels, 2.4 pastels, 1.1 spiders, and a lot of not-so normal mommas with offspring in the incubator.

Dinker baby BP: 1.0 Cactus Jack. Dude's got circles. Grow, baby. Grow.

For a unique diary of life amongst kids and kritters, please visit www.sapphiretigress.blogspot.com. Be warned, the blog likes Firefox and hates IE.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupter View Post
    Well the ASFs are about twice the size of mice (at least mine are)but still alot smaller than a rat. I think the crazy eyeballs and hamster-like fur is what really distinguishes them
    Ahaha, that reminds me. The other day when I had to pick up a mouse from Petco (smell issues) I noticed a size difference.. to me they always looked mouse-size but they are a bit bigger and longer haired. They also have much bigger eyes than I expected compared to a mouse.

It's been so long since I've had actual mice..

Thanks

Yeah I hate keeping mice but I have a couple females that occasionally refuse f/t or even live rats and the only thing they will take is small live mice. I keep 1 tank of mice because of this. I just let them breed or do whatever they want until they are needed. If it gets crowded, I feed them off I bought an ASF trio 1:2 in march and only one female had babies, then the male died randomly so I waited for the males from the only litter I got to grow up and make tons of babies with all of the females. I just noticed 3 females looking rather pear-shaped tonight so hopefully more will come
    Check out www.killerpets.com and let me know what you think! Always looking for ways to improve the site

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupter View Post
    Yeah I hate keeping mice but I have a couple females that occasionally refuse f/t or even live rats and the only thing they will take is small live mice. I keep 1 tank of mice because of this. I just let them breed or do whatever they want until they are needed. If it gets crowded, I feed them off I bought an ASF trio 1:2 in march and only one female had babies, then the male died randomly so I waited for the males from the only litter I got to grow up and make tons of babies with all of the females. I just noticed 3 females looking rather pear-shaped tonight so hopefully more will come
    My main female gets HUGE when shes about to blow.
    I hate to pick her up by her tail (cause it can hurt them but she gets so nippy when shes in season) and you can see her just overflowing with babies. Aha.
    I might have to get another tank for mice if I can't get my bp to switch. Ugh.

Thanks

hate to say it but they are freackin cute now I have to breed them too but man I guess I have to feed them to the snakes to lol