Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,158

1 members and 1,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Suggestions Please

Alright, as some of you may know or have seen, I have been working on different backgrounds, etc for the "Collection" pics on my new site that is in the works. I am only going to use pictures with these backgrounds for collection pictures and I will use a plain white or black background for availables. The site is going to be a dark site (black, dark gray, and red as of now) and I was wanting to use a black mirrored background for the collection pics. I took a picture today just messing around with the camera a cheap light box I made up to see how they would turn out. I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT SLR with an 18 to 55mm lens. What I need to know from you photographers out there, is how I can do better pics using what I have. I used only auto focus, and don't know anything about setting things up myself, but can get the instruction booklet to find out how, if you throw some things out that I need to do differently. Thanks alot.
    Also, the light box was a simple cardboard box, with a hole in each side and one in the top with a light at each hole,, the inside was lined with a black sheet, and made it hard for the light to shine through, probably some of the problem, and a mirror was placed on the floor.
    Custom reptile and amphibian enclosures! As well as other custom wood working.

Thanks

Re: Suggestions Please

Looks hot man! I suck at photography so I'm probably not the best to critique someone else's though. I like it a lot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    Looks hot man! I suck at photography so I'm probably not the best to critique someone else's though. I like it a lot.
    Thanks brotha, I appreciate it, I don't think I am too far off, but I know there is some improvement to be done, just need some help figuring out exactly what that is.

Banned (Jasballs)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PrototypePythons View Post
    Thanks brotha, I appreciate it, I don't think I am too far off, but I know there is some improvement to be done, just need some help figuring out exactly what that is.
    Try it without the mirror

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice but (well you know me I got to criticize ) I would center the subject and the reflection, this way the mirror image is not partially cut off.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Nice but (well you know me I got to criticize ) I would center the subject and the reflection, this way the mirror image is not partially cut off.
    Man, you are SO MEAN!! Haha, just kidding, this is what I wanted, criticism on how to improve it, and yes I did noticed the nose reflection got cut off due to the subject not being centered, that will be taken care of next time for sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I would center the subject and the reflection, this way the mirror image is not partially cut off.
    I agree, and like already mentioned, try it without the mirror. I would also recommend looking at the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens for this kind of photography. The optics are super compared to the lens that comes with the camera kit, plus its fairly cheap, less than $100 on amazon.

Thanks

I understand peoples suggestions of not using the mirror, and just going with the plain background, my reason for using the mirror is to just do something a little different, alot of people just have your typical plain backgrounds, not that there is anything wrong with that, its just that I want to try something a little different, thanks for the suggestions though.

Banned
    Thanks

Some lenses you should look into-

Canon standard EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens
    Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens -or- Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

Try to center your subject more, and give proper aperature settings and lighting. Aperature will give you a much better, more focused, clearer image instead of blurring past a certain point in the depth of field.

If you want to have a mirrored image, ditch the glass, and pick up a Black velour background. You can buy one at B & H. Then once you snap your picture, edit it in photoshop. Duplicate the image and flip it vertically. Set the copied image of the animal right underneath the main image snake. Change the opacity to 30-40% or so, and put a black to transparent gradient over the copied image. That, or take the eraser tool, change it to brush rather than block, and enlarge it to 175 or so, and erase the top and fade the image in a bit, so it appears like it's reflected.

Work on your lighting too. Pick up even one alien bee, with a 10 foot stand, a brolly box, and a boom arm, to set it over the subject. That or if you have the extra cash, pick up the digital bee package. Just note that the Digital Rebel XT doesn't have a PC socket, so if you want to fire it from the cam, but don't have the radio transmitters and receivers, pick up a hot shoe adapter to use a sync cord

Thanks

Hey bud, I struggle with all this jargon too, but Andrew sent me to this link and I read it several times before and after a session. I'm slow like that, but I try.

http://www.geofflawrence.com/photography_tutorials.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast