Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,000

0 members and 3,000 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question should I fed now? please help ASAP

Chance has finished shedding (expect for his head & eyes)

Should I fed him now? I think he might be getting dehydrated?
    Its been over 16 years since I have had to take care of a snake and I want to make sure I do everything correct. If I had not taken this snake, it would have been killed.

Thanks

Re: should I fed now? please help ASAP

I always offer food on feeding day and allow the snake to choose to accept the prey or not

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

I wouldn't feed right now until you get the eye caps off. Now would be a good time to do it instead of waiting for a couple days while he digests.

You can achieve two things at once, fill up a tub with warm water. Don't make it so deep the snake has to swim or can't touch the bottom while resting. It should only be half way up his back at the deepest.

The first thing he will probably do is drink some water. Put the cover on (or back in the rack) and let him soak for 30 min to 45. Keep an eye on him.

Then, after a soaking, you can attempt to remove the eye caps and stuck shed with a washcloth and him sliding through your hands.

Thanks

Thank you both.I'll soak him again,but I'm to scared to take off the eye caps.I guess they are on,I never saw them come off and his eyes are clear but really hard.Are they still on?
    Its been over 16 years since I have had to take care of a snake and I want to make sure I do everything correct. If I had not taken this snake, it would have been killed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SherriX2 View Post
    Thank you both.I'll soak him again,but I'm to scared to take off the eye caps.I guess they are on,I never saw them come off and his eyes are clear but really hard.Are they still on?
    If they are clear, then chances are they came off. Check his shed?

Thanks

"I wouldn't feed right now until you get the eye caps off. Now would be a good time to do it instead of waiting for a couple days while he digests."
    ~~ I dont understand this part? Are u saying to feed now,or dont fed now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    If they are clear, then chances are they came off. Check his shed?

he didnt shed normal,I had to help him by slowly peeling the wet skin away.I cant get the skin off his head.His head feels rough and dry.And his eyes are pretty clear,but hard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SherriX2 View Post
    "I wouldn't feed right now until you get the eye caps off. Now would be a good time to do it instead of waiting for a couple days while he digests."
    ~~ I dont understand this part? Are u saying to feed now,or dont fed now?
    I meant help get the rest of the shed off now instead of waiting for him to digest.

Quote Originally Posted by SherriX2
    he didnt shed normal,I had to help him by slowly peeling the wet skin away.I cant get the skin off his head.His head feels rough and dry.And his eyes are pretty clear,but hard
    Perhaps a close clear picture? I'll be honest, but I have never poked my snake's eye ball to know how soft it should be

If he didnt do it at all, and neither did you, then yes, perhaps it is still on. I used a soaking sopping wet terry cloth wash cloth to help get sheds off. Just gently but firmly wipe with the direction of the scales.

Thanks

Given the situation, I would get the shed off before feeding. In the future though when sheds are going a bit smoother for you, pick a feeding day and stick with it. Like McKinsey said, they either accept the prey or not. Nothing bad will come of the snake skipping a meal. My snakes eat on Wednesdays, regardless of shedding, and they have no problems.

Connie's terry cloth trick works well. You could also try putting the snake in a wet pillowcase for 15 minutes or so.