Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,035

0 members and 3,035 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How Early Can you Cut Eggs

Hey Gang...Figured this question is fairly advanced. Simply put how early can you cut an egg and what do you need to watch out for?

Reason: I have a clutch of eggs at day 46 they have started to get moldy and green (just started in the last 2 days not sure why they waited so long). However, they still have veins(though they are getting fewer everyday). I have seen movement in the eggs and it started me thinking at what point could I cut them to check for live animals (so I could remove any truly dead eggs) and/or to help a snake that might end up dying in the egg.

Nothing "special" expected form the eggs but I would still like to save as many of the babies as possible.
    Sean

Thanks

Re: How Early Can you Cut Eggs

i have cut eggs at day 48 for the same reason just try not to cut the veins that early. but they should be fine if the eggs just started to mold
    0.1 spider het ghost 1.1 het ghost 1.1 het pied
    0.1 spider ball python 1.0 het red
    2.0 pastel 1.0 mojave 1.0 Lesser
    1.0 het clown 0.22 normals
    1.0 boxer 0.0.1 red foot

Thanks

Sean, we cut at day 52. However with one clutch I somehow miscounted my days and cut at day 45. I can tell you I was totally freaked, ended up on the phone with Kara, Tim and Robin completely sure I'd gone and killed the hatchlings with my stupidity.

Said hatchlings are sitting in their hatchling boxes as I type this. Just fine, eating me out of house and home and perfectly healthy. Granted they all sat in those eggs that extra 7 days and didn't start coming out till day 53 but they all did quite fine being cut 7 days earlier than I'd planned.

P.S. I know have the cut date written on each hatching box so I never miscount again. Thanks for that suggestion Tim!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gncz73 View Post
    i have cut eggs at day 48 for the same reason just try not to cut the veins that early. but they should be fine if the eggs just started to mold
    Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Sean, we cut at day 52. However with one clutch I somehow miscounted my days and cut at day 45. I can tell you I was totally freaked, ended up on the phone with Kara, Tim and Robin completely sure I'd gone and killed the hatchlings with my stupidity.

Said hatchlings are sitting in their hatchling boxes as I type this. Just fine, eating me out of house and home and perfectly healthy. Granted they all sat in those eggs that extra 7 days and didn't start coming out till day 53 but they all did quite fine being cut 7 days earlier than I'd planned.

P.S. I know have the cut date written on each hatching box so I never miscount again. Thanks for that suggestion Tim!
    OK..I am off to go cut and try and save some kids...wish me luck. I will post pics of the "adventure" shortly.
    Sean

Thanks

They were all dead I am very disappointed especially once I opened up the eggs to look at the babies...perhaps I was wrong in saying they were nothing special.

This first pic shows the eggs right before I cut them...the center egg had died a couple weeks ago but was attached so I didn't remove it...all the other eggs were white 2 days ago.

This is what I pulled out...a full stripe (on all the babies)!!

Dad was a imported Yellow Belly and mom was a normal CH from 3 years ago...though I always thought she was something special. No stripes on either of them.

Pic of Mom (could she be a spectre (sp?) - I think they are ones that throw stripes when bred to YB)??? When I got her she was as bright as a Lemon Pastel but after laying browned out like a Grazy Pastel...she is neither as far as I know.
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel View Post
    They were all dead I am very disappointed especially once I opened up the eggs to look at the babies...perhaps I was wrong in saying they were nothing special.

This first pic shows the eggs right before I cut them...the center egg had died a couple weeks ago but was attached so I didn't remove it...all the other eggs were white 2 days ago.

This is what I pulled out...a full stripe (on all the babies)!!

Dad was a imported Yellow Belly and mom was a normal CH from 3 years ago...though I always thought she was something special. No stripes on either of them.

Pic of Mom (could she be a spectre (sp?) - I think they are ones that throw stripes when bred to YB)??? When I got her she was as bright as a Lemon Pastel but after laying browned out like a Grazy Pastel...she is neither as far as I know.
    I'm sorry to hear that man. It's never good to have anything like that happen. Good luck on your next try though, maybe you'll get some real special stripes. :]

Thanks

sorry to hear about your bad luck. they would have been hot babies too. better luck next year or with your next clutch
    0.1 spider het ghost 1.1 het ghost 1.1 het pied
    0.1 spider ball python 1.0 het red
    2.0 pastel 1.0 mojave 1.0 Lesser
    1.0 het clown 0.22 normals
    1.0 boxer 0.0.1 red foot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that man. It's never good to have anything like that happen. Good luck on your next try though, maybe you'll get some real special stripes. :]
    Quote Originally Posted by gncz73 View Post
    sorry to hear about your bad luck. they would have been hot babies too. better luck next year or with your next clutch
    Thanks...I will definitely be trying again next season with this pairing...now I want to know what mom is or is carrying.

Anyone got any ideas what it might be?
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Sean,
    did that clutch have any extremes while incubating(i.e. too wet, too hot, too cold)? I ask that becasue extremes in incubation or "egg stress" have been known to create extreme looking snakes that aren't truly genetic(I believe that is what happened to the Halo clutch that Cue had a couple years ago). Judging from the developement of those snakes, I would say that they died at around day 32 - 34. Were the eggs slightly firm at all when you cut them? I ask that also, to estimate when the eggs went bad.

I am not implying that you not try the breeding again next year, because there may be something going on with the female, but I always like to try and figure out exactly what is going on, especially with eggs.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Also, I meant to answer your original question, even though I know you already cut them. About 3 weeks after I talked to Jo, and let her know it would be ok, I cut a clutch at day 45, because my calculations were incorrect. Boy did I learn to listen to my own advice on that one. At any rate, they are all eating there 3rd meal this week, and we didn't lose a single one.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast