Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,860

1 members and 2,859 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Exclamation I'm doing something wrong....

Ok, so, went to give my little meal worms some new taters, and when I turned them over, the potatoes were covered in these tiny little white bugs. Very small. So, I cut off the ends and continue to check all of the taters, when I see a pile of them under one in the corner. I spoon out some meal, and it's like the entirety is swarming with these microscopic bugs! They make the meal move like it's alive.

I turn over another potato, and my little superworm is curled up with these things all over him.

I tried to take some pics, but the batteries were dying, and I didn't have very good light.

They are really really small little white things on his body, what the heck are they and what do I do?! Should I just throw away the whole tub?

I can take more later when the batteries are fresh, but that will be later tonight.

Thanks

Re: I'm doing something wrong....

I read about this on a site before we started breeding mealworms. I am guessing they are grain mites. Hope this helps!

Grain mites:

Of all the problems that you may face with your mealworm culture, grain mites are probably the most troublesome. Grain mites are about the size of a speck of flour, and will breed in practically any type of grain you put them in. They can survive being frozen, and go for months without food. You only have two defenses against grain mites. The first is to not get them in the first place, microwave your bedding before using it. This should kill any grain mites and their eggs. The second, and best option probably, is regulating the humidity. Grain mites need a level of humidity of 75% or higher to reproduce. Keeping your humidity level down to 55% and making sure there is some ventilation to where you are keeping your mealworms should prevent grain mites from hatching and reproducing. One other method is to keep your mealworm boxes on a pan of water to form a moat around the box. This only helps though if your grain is clean, and your starter worms are also. Your mealworm colony will have a distinctive smell, if that smell changes significantly to a kind of piny smell, you probably have grain mites. You will probably also notice a dusty substance forming on the air holes and the sides of your box. If this happens to your colony, destroy it and start over. Its disappointing to have to do but there is no good way to get rid of them. Dump out the worms, clean the box with bleach, let it thoroughly drive, and watch your humidity, grain, and mealworm sources better the next time.

Thanks

good guess grain mites. i would get all the worms out and use a different substrate. and jusi sprinkle some food on top.

Thanks

Well, I threw out the bedding after I posted, and separated the worms into little containers. Where would I pick up mite free super worms? I got the first from a show, and they were fine, then I bought another batch from Petsmart, and got these stupid things. May just be coincidence?

I'm just not cut out to raise insects.

Thanks

It's very hard not to find mealies or superworms without grain mites... The best I've been able to do is attempt reduction control.

You could try getting the hyposis mites (mites which eat other mites) and seeing how that works...it's something I haven't tried.

I've had a few that seemed to get horribly infested and I've just thrown out the colony and started over

I usually try to dry out the colony as much as possible to reduce the spread though.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959