Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 754

4 members and 750 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to wean?

Thanks

When to wean?

I was wondering what is a good age to wean baby ASF's?? My asf had her litter about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I just didn't know when to take them out and put them in different caging from the parents. Any help will be appreciated...

Thanks
    Alan

Thanks

Re: When to wean?

It depends on what you want.
    If you want them big and fat then don't ween them and let them ween themselves.

If you want them to stay smaller, ween early. :] Not too early, but when their eyes are open and they are definite hoppers.

Thanks

We just remove them one month to the day after they were born. Usually by then the females are on to the next litter and they need the break from nursing two groups, as well the older ones are quite able to be independent by then. It is fun to watch the big babies help out with the little babies though.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I've weaned before the mothers had the next litter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    It depends on what you want.
    If you want them big and fat then don't ween them and let them ween themselves.

If you want them to stay smaller, ween early. :] Not too early, but when their eyes are open and they are definite hoppers.
    Do you have any proof that rats that wean early stay smaller? Or is that just a guess?

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

I wean as soon as their eyes are all the way open. that is usually a few days before the next batch of babies come.

I disagree on it having a negative impact on the size of the babies to pull them as soon as their eyes are open. Once seperated, they grow at the same rate, and get the same size as ones that are not pulled.

Common sense tells me that it is probably better for the moms if they don't have to nurse all day long the few days before delivering 12 more!!! I believe that pulling the babies when I do increases the health and weight of the next round of babies because mom gets a rest from nursing for the last few days of pregnancy!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Do you have any proof that rats that wean early stay smaller? Or is that just a guess?
    I don't have any significant proof of it happening to anyone else except for me. I didn't ween or separate my first litter of ASFs and they're all the same size (pretty big) and the second litter I did ween. They are about 1/4-1/5 smaller than the first litter. :]

I also heard of this happening with other litters. Heres a picture of mine.

On the left is the bigger 4 month old non-weened. On the right is the weened (about 3 months and a week old?)
    The left one was this big by the second-third month aprox.
    Last edited by blackcrystal22; 06-27-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    I wean as soon as their eyes are all the way open. that is usually a few days before the next batch of babies come.

I disagree on it having a negative impact on the size of the babies to pull them as soon as their eyes are open. Once seperated, they grow at the same rate, and get the same size as ones that are not pulled.

Common sense tells me that it is probably better for the moms if they don't have to nurse all day long the few days before delivering 12 more!!! I believe that pulling the babies when I do increases the health and weight of the next round of babies because mom gets a rest from nursing for the last few days of pregnancy!
    I don't think it's a negative effect, they've just been smaller for me for some reason. :[
    Thats about when I would ween them. They still get as fat as ever, but they seem a bit smaller in size. I donno, maybe I have weird genes or something..

Thanks

I pull them between 21-24 days.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    I don't think it's a negative effect, they've just been smaller for me for some reason. :[
    Thats about when I would ween them. They still get as fat as ever, but they seem a bit smaller in size. I donno, maybe I have weird genes or something..
    What I meant is there a difference in adult size? Knowing what I do from regular rats, it makes zero difference in their adult size if I wean early or late.

The ones just weaned later or from a very small litter have more fat deposits, but they are the same size as the other adults.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast