Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,504

0 members and 1,504 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

When to force feed?

I recently aquired 20 CH females. Since I got them I have attempted feeding twice. So far only about 8-12 of them have taken the live rat pups I've offered. My question is, when should I start force feeding the ones that haven't eaten? I have read Adam's guide many times. I really do not want to resort to mice, I just don't want the headache of dealing with rats AND mice. Also, at the moment I do not have access to any ASFs. I just want all these girls on rats. Any advice?

Thanks

Re: When to force feed?

Quote Originally Posted by Pwilliams58 View Post
    I recently aquired 20 CH females. Since I got them I have attempted feeding twice. So far only about 8-12 of them have taken the live rat pups I've offered. My question is, when should I start force feeding the ones that haven't eaten? I have read Adam's guide many times. I really do not want to resort to mice, I just don't want the headache of dealing with rats AND mice. Also, at the moment I do not have access to any ASFs. I just want all these girls on rats. Any advice?
    Try assist feeding before actual force feeding. You would have to force feed when a vet would, when they lose weight or get skinny. :]

Some of them may have to eat mice, the smells can be different and could cause them to be picky. D:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

I start all my Ball hatchlings on hopper mice and have never had one not switch to rats...

To answer your question though...I assist feed at the 5 week mark...It's very important to make sure you use a small prey item. I like to use fuzzy mice.

Thanks

Why not just try mice if it might help get your snakes to eat? I got a little red tail from someone and he said she rarely ate - and he was feeding exclusively rats. As soon as I got her home and on mice she hasn't missed any feeds except 1 or 2 when she was in shed.

I would try mice before I would try force/assist feeding..

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bottom line - what's more important? Your convenience of rats only, or them eating? If it takes mice to get them started, then it takes mice to get them started.

How long have you had them and how old are they? If you've read Adam's guide, then you know he doesn't even consider to assist feed (not force feed) them until 7 weeks AFTER their first shed.

Offer them hopper mice and see if they'll take them - you have plenty of time to convert them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Oh yeah I should have specified 5 weeks after the first shed...Which puts them at 6-6 1/2 weeks old...

Also do they have hides?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coldbloodaddict View Post
    Oh yeah I should have specified 5 weeks after the first shed...Which puts them at 6-6 1/2 weeks old...

Also do they have hides?
    They are roughly 4 weeks past their first shed. Yes, they do have hides.

Thanks

Were they feeding before you got them? If so, what were they being fed? If they were already started on mice, then that may be what you have to feed them for the time being. Most balls will switch to rats with no problem but some will not. Feed them what they want to eat, not what you prefer.

After you have tried feeding them hopper mice and they still refuse to eat and are loosing weight then you may need to assist feed them.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

They are roughly 4 weeks past their first shed. Yes, they do have hides.
    Are their hides small and snug (touching them on all sides when they're in them)?

Thanks

pretty darn close, perhaps ill try putting crumpled newspaper in their tubs tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast