Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,065

0 members and 3,065 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: we gotta bunny!

Thanks

we gotta bunny!

Sunday is my sons 4th bday.. we had planned on getting him a puppy but because were on the fourth floor we have put those plans on hold, so instead we got him a bunny, it was the landlords rules we had to get rid of our pet rats before moving in and my son hadnt been the same since they went to their new home.

Its name has changed from Simon to Chowder to Alvin and it now remains nameless lol. The bunny is going to be a "house rabbit" and already has its own corner of the house. He (?) is currently in our vanity area baby gated in so hes not locked up in a cage all the time, we have a little carrier type cage that has its litter pan, food, water, exc in there. He seems to be settling in nicely, hes sooo sweet and is even licky. My sons are very happy.

Ill add pictures later on today

Anyone have any comments or feelings on bunnys living alone? Should they be in pairs like rats?

My boys have already donated some of their toys to him and so far hes had very few accidents outside its litter box!

Thanks

Re: we gotta bunny!

That's so sad you had to get rid of your rats!

Congrats on the bunny, post pics!

Registered User SapphireTigress's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ADEE View Post
    The bunny is going to be a "house rabbit" and already has its own corner of the house.
    If he's a house bun, with lots of attention, there won't be a problem. They do litter train really, really well, and you can look online for specifics. Even if they make messes, they're pellets and sweep right up.

I made a harness for mine. He doesn't care for it much...
    Balls aplenty, but never enough! 0.1 pied, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 het albino, 0.1 poss het albino, 3.0 black pastels, 2.4 pastels, 1.1 spiders, and a lot of not-so normal mommas with offspring in the incubator.

Dinker baby BP: 1.0 Cactus Jack. Dude's got circles. Grow, baby. Grow.

For a unique diary of life amongst kids and kritters, please visit www.sapphiretigress.blogspot.com. Be warned, the blog likes Firefox and hates IE.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think they really do need to be kept in pairs like rats do. I started with one bunny and had to wait about a month before I could get the next one from the breeder (had to wait for the second litter to be weaned). It was AMAZING the difference in overall behavior of the first bunny after we got the second--it was SO obvious she was happier and her overall quality of living was much improved. Even though we gave her lots of love and attention every day, our human companionship was no replacement for bunny love.
    - Emily

Thanks

I will certainly post some pictures.. if compared to rats, he (?) is a white varigated bunny with black ears, and has a nice long black stripe down his back. I wanted the all white with black eyeliner and black ears but the one we selected was very lovable, didnt mind being held and even gave us kisses. I do know they are dwarf mix bunnies..and soft as could be!

Its very amusing looking around on the floor of our vanity area to avoid stepping on the furball at 5am. He came up and gave me kisses this morning while getting ready for work... I was very surprised just how much they love getting your attention, fuzzy little creatures lol. I had bunnys growing up (3 of them) and loved having them around but they were outdoor rabbits (now looking back, very inhumane in south floridas heat but at least they were in the shade) Im glad our little friend can be inside full time

we do need to get some more toys for him.. right now hes got a black plastic bowling ball he enjoys moving around, a few hard plastic blocks and a stuffed bunny rabbit from easter lol....how fitting i know

Thanks Emily for the info on your experience.. I might go back today and pick up its cage mate.. I know the breeder personally who supplies the store and hes always had very healthy stock. Now to confirm the sex of ours before bringing in a nightmare for babys lol. I had read some horror stories about housing multiple bunnys but i also thought they should have a friend... Glad to hear you agree with pairing them up, Lord knows they have plenty of room to play!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

My rabbits especially love things that aren't toys. Their absolute favorites are small cardboard boxes that they can get in and on and that they can chew.
    - Emily

Thanks

Thanks Emily.. I did put a pepsi box in there this morning before leaving for work

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oooh, empty soda boxes are a serious favorite in my bunny area (the dining room). It's hilarious to look over and see that box moving around on its own.
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    Oooh, empty soda boxes are a serious favorite in my bunny area (the dining room). It's hilarious to look over and see that box moving around on its own.
    lol.. thats too funny! I will be posting a picture of his living space tonight when i post his pictures

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I can't wait! I need to take photos of my bunnies too--perhaps I will be inspired to do so when I see your photos.
    - Emily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast