Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,033

3 members and 3,030 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Household thermostat?

I'm sure others have had this thought and most likely someone has tried it out already. Has anyone had any success using a household thermostat to control your rack heating? Not the room temps, but the flexwatt temps.

Thanks

Re: Household thermostat?

I have made a homemade rheostat with 2 dimmer switches and 2 electrical plugs that worked great until I bought my thermostat. Allowed me to dial all the way down to "0"
    Took a couple of days adjustment and then marking temps and hashes to get it set but after initial trial and error I could get temps right on the money.

Thanks

I have a thermostat made for an under tile heating system that I have been too chicken to try out on my snake enclosures. I would first want to hear that others have done it and not messed everything up before trying it myself.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Unfortunatly I couldn't find one that would run the temps I need (95F)... Also the probe is built into the unit and would have to be modified and tested for accuracy.. perhaps recalibrated due to resistance in the wire.

Thanks

i used to work for a plumbing and heating company (managed the warehouse) and i had talked with a few people about the possibilities... basically there's only one type that would work and that's a low-voltage heating only thermostat. they're cheap, but it'd be much harder to use and have it work correctly unless you can figure out a way to attached an external or remote probe.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Well I guess from the sounds of it it just makes more sense to simply buy one that is made for the job at hand. Oh well thought it might make a fun weekend project but it seems more pain than it is worth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
    I'm sure others have had this thought and most likely someone has tried it out already. Has anyone had any success using a household thermostat to control your rack heating? Not the room temps, but the flexwatt temps.

The only purpose that would be served by using a household thermostat is the unnecessary complication of a rather simple application. Household thermostats are low voltage controllers that control relays. They are not full load controllers and cannot work alone to control your rack heating without a relay circuit in place.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Desert View Post
    The only purpose that would be served by using a household thermostat is the unnecessary complication of a rather simple application. Household thermostats are low voltage controllers that control relays. They are not full load controllers and cannot work alone to control your rack heating without a relay circuit in place.
    Thanks...

I think I kinda reached that conclusion in a round about way already. Thought I didn't concern myself with the technical details to be honest, but at least now I know why I reached that conclusion.

Thanks

Industrial Thermostats can be used and are currently in use. The Ranco and Johnson controllers are perfect examples. The big thing with these is they use a remote temp probe. By the time you were to modify a basic household unit to work you could buy a raw Ranco and be way ahead!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post
    Industrial Thermostats can be used and are currently in use. The Ranco and Johnson controllers are perfect examples. The big thing with these is they use a remote temp probe. By the time you were to modify a basic household unit to work you could buy a raw Ranco and be way ahead!
    Yeah that's what I started to realize as I was doing research on them.