Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,975

2 members and 2,973 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

rats eep chewing out of tubs???

ok Ive used this same rack for around 6 months everything went fine but then all of the sudden a group of rats chewed out of one of the tubs. so I thought it was a problem with the tub maybe it had a dent or something. so I moved them well they chewed out of that one. well I out them in one of those lab breeder tubs with the metal top. well today I notice that a nw group of rats has chewed a hole into theirs. any idea of what I should do? I use the standard black concrete mixing tubs. please help

Thanks

Re: rats eep chewing out of tubs???

Quote Originally Posted by johnabrams82 View Post
    ok Ive used this same rack for around 6 months everything went fine but then all of the sudden a group of rats chewed out of one of the tubs. so I thought it was a problem with the tub maybe it had a dent or something. so I moved them well they chewed out of that one. well I out them in one of those lab breeder tubs with the metal top. well today I notice that a nw group of rats has chewed a hole into theirs. any idea of what I should do? I use the standard black concrete mixing tubs. please help
    What type of watering system are you using?

We had 3 chew outs early on during our rat breeding program. After a little looking into it we figured out it was tubs that had watering valves that had slow drips. This caused the bedding material to become damp and they started piling the bedding up in the back of the tub. This left the front without bedding and the water pooled in the corner closest to the valve. Not sure if the rats thought that digging a hole would get rid of the moisture or something else, but they all chewed out on that corner. Two times we caught them before they escaped the third time they escaped, but we rounded them up.

Thanks

Re: rats eep chewing out of tubs???

well my badding was getting dirty after a few days.... normally I clean every 5 days, that one I cleaned about every three. I'll try to tighten it up a little and see if that helps...once I get more tubs that is.