Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,892

2 members and 2,890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Sweet Stray

Thanks

Sweet Stray

There is a cat that roams the neighborhood. He is intact and thin but very very friendly. He comes up to us all the time and hangs outside the door. A few days ago he was wearing a collar but now its gone. There is no identification and he's really thin. (starting to be able to feel individual bumps on the spine) We bought him some food since he's looking so thin. He keeps trying to get into our friend's apartment and he follows us.

My friends are moving in and they really like the cat. They want to adopt him. Ok, well we all do, but I'm afraid that he has an owner. Of course, if he is this thin and running around intact outside than the owner isn't doing a very good job. We hope to make a vet appointment and at least get him tested for feline leukemia and such and get him evaluated to see if he's healthy. He has a bad case of ear mites.

So what would you do? Would you try and find the owner, turn him into a shelter, or keep him? We want to keep him though.

Also, if we were going to keep him, what would be the best QT for him. We have a 2 bedroom so keeping him confined to one room would be fine. What kind of precautions should we take with him? What should we get him tested for?

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas? While I'd love to do "the right thing" and try and find his owner, I don't think they are doing a very good job and I hate seeing an animal suffer just because "well he belongs to someone else and there's nothing you can do about it." If we don't end up keeping him, I might snag him and take him to get fixed at least.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Sweet Stray

I would place found ads, and get him scanned for a micro-chip. There's no telling WHY he's separated from his owner - he could have been lost for some time, which is why he's thin.

Thanks

He had a fairly new collar on last week. Now its gone but you can still see where it had been. I'm not exactly in a part of town where lost animals get taken care of very well. There are a lot of outdoor/feral cats around.

Also, our friend noted a change in behavior the other day. The cat seemed more wary of people for a day or two, as if it didn't trust people, and then today, he was fine.

Bascially, I'm afraid of putting up found signs and having the cat returned to an owner who will not care for him properly. Even if he is seperated from his owner by accident, and that is the reason he is thin, he's still intact and roaming free. Its probably wrong to do so but I'm probably going to get him neutered anyway, and that way if he is returned and the owner lets him outside, he can't contribute to overpopulation. A responsible pet owner's first responsibility is to get their animal spayed or neutered. All of my cats are.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Since I just took in a stray cat just a couple days ago I think you know what my answer is.
    -Abbi [:

1.0.0 Chinese Water Dragon - Axel.
    0.1.0 Ball Python - Seether.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Doby.
    1.2.0 (plus strays I feed!) Cats - Lucky, Kitty, and Meggy.
    0.0.3 Fish - No namesssss.

9.0.0 Rats - Louie, Chessie, Elliot, Eddie, Loki, Andante, Stevie, Igby, and Zigby. (RIP Boys. <3)
    0.1.0 - Tremper Albino Leopard Gecko - Izzy (RIP.)
    1.3.0 - Angus, and the girlie trio. (RIP.)

Too many frozen mice, mealworms, and crickets to count! Don't you love reptiles?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You could contact your local humane society and see what their policies are for strays brought into them (or if they take found animal reports).

At the humane society I used to work at, the person who brought a stray in could be an interested party for the animal and if the owner didn't come then they were first in line... however, if the animal didn't pass evaluations the reporting party generally wouldn't get called..... but, maybe a possibility none-the-less.

Thanks

If it were me I'd put up signs and if someone responded I'd ask them how they would feel about me keeping him or at least point out his condition. He could have a medical condition causing him to lose weight even if his owners are feeding him.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Catch, neuter, release. Works fine and the "owners", if there are any, likely don't care what happens to the cat anyway.

If they can't afford $15-$20 to neuter their cat, then how are they going to provide proper care(vaccs, food, litter, vet visits if sick)?
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite