Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,861

0 members and 2,861 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Too Many for a beginner?

My Boy Friend called me to ask if I would like an Iguanna.
    We had those before & I didn't really care for them at all.
    Stinky & not tamed.
    He also asked if I would like 2 proven breeding Gray Rat Snakes.
    Now, I am kind of on my own with this. My Daughter's really like the snakes, but are not really inerested on learning more than they already know. They only handle the ones we have once in a blue moon. Same here with actually taking them out for handling.
    But, I love learning & Just fastinated watching them in thier enclosures! I rather do that than watch TV!
    I already have 2 Balls & 1 King. I did have a baby Corn, but somehow it seemed to have disappeared.

These rats are adults. I am not looking to breed snakes.
    I just really enjoy watching them move about & watching them feed.
    Is this too much for a beginner of snakes?
    Is there any certain husbandry I should look for? Or should I just look under Rat Snake for a care sheet?
    More than likely these 2 are housed together.
    I know this is a bad thing for Balls & Kings. If I were to get them, should they be housed in seperate enclosures?
    If, I were to get them, I would want to take the best care for them as I really try to do for my others.
    TIA,
    Yvette
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic8383_1.gif

Thanks

Re: Too Many for a beginner?

If you think you can keep up with the husbandry requirements of these 2 snakes and keep up with your other snakes as well then I do not see why not. I would not keep the 2 snakes together - especially if you are not looking to breed and they are proven breeders.

I would find a couple different care sheets on them - since some you will find will be newer than others or have more accurate information - I never read just one care sheet.

As long as you ask questions here I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm taking care of 11 snakes by myself - not to mention the cats/rats/sugar gliders I also care for on my own - not a single person helps me, but I also have more time to devote to them since I do not have children. As long as you manage your time and keep cleaning/feeding schedules constant than the routine of basic care for the animals should go smoothly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
    Now, I am kind of on my own with this. My Daughter's really like the snakes, but are not really inerested on learning more than they already know. They only handle the ones we have once in a blue moon. Same here with actually taking them out for handling.
    But, I love learning & Just fastinated watching them in thier enclosures! I rather do that than watch TV!
    I already have 2 Balls & 1 King. I did have a baby Corn, but somehow it seemed to have disappeared.
    Based on what you have written here I would suggest you skip them. First, snakes live for 20+ years easily, you don't really have any help and it sounds like they are pets that you just want to watch so why do you need any more then the 3 you have. Also, the fact one "seemed to have disappeared" like it is no big deal gives me red flags that more snakes is probably not a good idea...I would suggest you just enjoy the ones you have and give them the best care possible before you quickly outgrow the novality and get more than you really want to care for and feed weekly.

Just my 2 cents.
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel View Post
    Based on what you have written here I would suggest you skip them. First, snakes live for 20+ years easily, you don't really have any help and it sounds like they are pets that you just want to watch so why do you need any more then the 3 you have. Also, the fact one "seemed to have disappeared" like it is no big deal gives me red flags that more snakes is probably not a good idea...I would suggest you just enjoy the ones you have and give them the best care possible before you quickly outgrow the novelty and get more than you really want to care for and feed weekly.

Just my 2 cents.

x100!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I agree with what everyone has said, even though that seems contradictory.

It is not too many snakes for one person to care for by themselves. Nor is it too many (or too difficult of species, based on what I know of these species, altho I haven't kept most of them myself) for a beginner to be able to care for properly.

However, I advise beginners to wait a while before getting a second snake, or adding more snakes if they already have 2 or more. As has been pointed out, snakes live a long time. If you are just a beginner, how can you know if you'll stay interested that long?

So the question isn't really whether it is too much for a beginner, but is it too much for YOU? For your level of interest, for the amount of time, money, energy, etc you want to put in to it. Are you willing to figure out what happened to the one that "seemed to have disappeared" and fix the problem to be sure it won't happen again?

Only you can answer those questions.
    Casey