Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,139

1 members and 3,138 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Small Rat Breeding Setups

Small rat breeding setup

This method is ONLY good for a snake that eats FT.

This method is not for snakes that only eat LIVE feeder rats

You want to breed your own feeders, you have 1 snake, but you don’t want to be over run with rats either.

If you have 1 snake, I still recommend either buying bulk F/T from online suppliers. This is not only economical, but saves you a lot of time, smell and frustration. Breeding rats is costly. Please look at Lord Jackels review “Should I breed, how many to breed?” and it shows very clearly that breeding rats is only saving you money when you own many snakes.

5 snakes means 5 rats per week * 26 weeks (6 months) = 130 rats
    To buy at the pet store = 130 rats * $4 = $520 (avg.)
    To buy F/T from a .com = 130 rats * $0.92 = $120 (avg.)
    ($0.69 each rat + $0.23 ) ($0.23 is what is costs to ship each rat total = $30)

To breed = $146
    I assumed 12 breeder females (to produce 10 feeders per week) and 2 males * $4 = $56 + Monthly Food/Bedding = $15 * 6 month = $90 (and you have to buy/build housing for all of them = $??)

Take this to a year: 260 rats
    Buy F/T = $192 (since you could buy the whole year at once the per rat cost goes down)
    To Breed = $236 (getting closer but still not worth it)
    If you still insist on breeding your own feeders because your snake eats F/T readily, then this is going to be much easier! If your snake only eats live, I do not recommend this.

• Minimum Rat Breeding Group

At the very minimum, I recommend buying 4 young rats. 2 males, 2 females. They MUST be separated by sex!!!

٭Rats are social animals and need to have a partner at all times! If you remove each animal by themselves, they can quickly take a down turn in health. Rats do appear to suffer negative effects when not with a partner. For their physical and mental health, they need to be with other rats.

With this set up, you can use either a rack or tubs given they are big enough for adult rats to live in comfortably.

You’ll need at least 5 different spaces for these animals.

Housing:
    2 tubs for the nursing mothers
    1 large tub or cage for the males while not breeding females
    2 tubs for any weaners that you need to grow up to a larger size
    CO2 Chamber ( I do NOT recommend any other form of euthanasia)

Bedding: Pine pellets ($6 for 40 lbs) or Aspen shavings ($12 for 4 cubic feet) for nursing mothers
    Food: Mazuri 6F ($25 for 50 lbs) or Harlan 2016 or 2018 for nursing mothers

If you plan on just feeding weaners, you can CO2 the animal at 4 weeks of age. They should weigh anywhere from 60-80 grams avg. This means you do not need the 2 holding tubs.

• Breeding Process

Once the females reach 5 months of age, or 250+ grams, they are old enough and big enough to breed with minimal risk. If you’ve taken the time to buy young rats and socialized them, you’ll have a much easier time dealing with the mothers and her young when cleaning or moving.

Day 1 - Pair up one male and one female into each tub. Both females are being bred at the same time.

Week 1 (day 7)- Check on the little love birds!
    Week 2 (day 14)- Is momma getting big yet?
    Week 3 (day 21)- After the 3 weeks, you will remove the males from the tubs and put them into one large tub/cage to keep each other company.

Week 4- Both mothers should be given plenty of nesting material. Shredded aspen works very well. They should have their litters during this 4th week.

Week 8- After 4 more weeks, the pups will be weaners and need to be removed from the mothers by sex to grow up, or be euthanized with CO2.

With this process, your 2 females will have anywhere from 9-16 pups average. You can CO2 the litter, and you’ll have 18-32 weeks worth of food in your freezer for 1 snake etc.
    • Prepare ahead of time and give yourself at least 2 months in advance to produce more weaners.

Hope this helps those of you willing to pay for quality. This is still more costly than buying bulk F/T or from the pet shop, especially in initial setup cost, but it does guarantee quality food for your snake.
    Last edited by JLC; 06-18-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added text at member's request

Thanks

Re: Small Rat Breeding Setups

That was SO helpful! Thanks Connie!!
    I have 10 snakes and am breeding mice now in the slow process of trying to switch everyone over to rats. My two largest female BPs take a small rat each already, and my 2 adult corn snakes shouldn't care as long as it's a rodent. I'm hoping my juvi corns will take rat pinks/fuzzies and my thriving pig of a rescue BP will hopefully take hoppers. Because I plan on breeding corns in the future, and since I'm doubtful that my young normal female BP will switch, I will be keeping one trio of mice.

That write up answered most of my rat breeding questions, but I still have one: I have gotten rid of all but that last trio of mice and currently have about 30 weaners/small adults growing up to be fed off. I want to get rid of those mice before I start on rats, but I also want to get my four rats at a young age to raise them up together (by sex, of course) to breeding age. About when should I get those four young rats so that I can start them breeding once most of the surplus mice are gone and I've started the switch for all snakes?? Currently I use up 2 XL/jumbo, 2 large, 1 medium, 1 hopper/small, 1 fuzzy and 1 lg pink/sm fuzzy mice each week, the last three sizes every 5 days.

Sorry for the length...
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

all of your advice seems to work too well connie! i remember asking advice from you and started with 13 rats. now i have 200+ and i only have 10 bps to feed!
    raymond

Thanks

Connie:

Great post. Plain and simple. I am learning so much from these threads.

Thanks!
    Laurie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    I have gotten rid of all but that last trio of mice and currently have about 30 weaners/small adults growing up to be fed off.

I want to get rid of those mice before I start on rats, but I also want to get my four rats at a young age to raise them up together (by sex, of course) to breeding age.

About when should I get those four young rats so that I can start them breeding once most of the surplus mice are gone and I've started the switch for all snakes??

Currently I use up 2 XL/jumbo, 2 large, 1 medium, 1 hopper/small, 1 fuzzy and 1 lg pink/sm fuzzy mice each week, the last three sizes every 5 days.
    Oh wow, that involves math somehow! Haha, I would get the young rats as soon as possible as it doesn't seem like you have months worth of mice left, but merely weeks.

Females really need to be 5 months of age for breeding, and when they arrive in stores like Petco, they are usually 6-7 weeks of age. So you'll have possible 3 -4 months before they are ready to breed.

If you weigh them, they should weigh over 250 grams to breed.

I hope that answered you question! Forgive me if not, it's a Monday.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Breeding rats is costly.
    To keep my costs down I bought 2 females, 1 male and raised enough up for breeding stock. It does take alot longer to get started but it drops the startup cost quite a bit, also you can buy all the cages/etc as you need more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Somed00d View Post
    To keep my costs down I bought 2 females, 1 male and raised enough up for breeding stock. It does take alot longer to get started but it drops the startup cost quite a bit, also you can buy all the cages/etc as you need more.
    I wasn't so much talking about initial start up costs, but total costs like I described in the beginning.

It just costs more to raise your own rats if you have only a few snakes to feed.

The cost of housing and feeding your rats overall costs more than just buying bulk FT online or a live rat weekly from pet store.

That's been my point in this whole thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Oh wow, that involves math somehow! Haha, I would get the young rats as soon as possible as it doesn't seem like you have months worth of mice left, but merely weeks.

Females really need to be 5 months of age for breeding, and when they arrive in stores like Petco, they are usually 6-7 weeks of age. So you'll have possible 3 -4 months before they are ready to breed.

If you weigh them, they should weigh over 250 grams to breed.

I hope that answered you question! Forgive me if not, it's a Monday.
    I know... math is evil!

I will be getting my rats from the reptile store where I got all my mice. Since they go by size there, I plan on asking for weaned rats and weighing them to get a rough idea of age by weight. 250 is the goal before putting the males in.
    And I suppose you're right with the time span. I'll see if I can find some plump, healthy looking rats when I go in tomorrow to pick up the PK smalls for my big girls (they kill them for me since I don't have my CO2 chamber sealed up yet). I have two open mouse tubs since I fed off my other two trios that I can house the pairs in.

Thanks!
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    I know... math is evil!

I will be getting my rats from the reptile store where I got all my mice. Since they go by size there, I plan on asking for weaned rats and weighing them to get a rough idea of age by weight. 250 is the goal before putting the males in.
    And I suppose you're right with the time span. I'll see if I can find some plump, healthy looking rats when I go in tomorrow to pick up the PK smalls for my big girls (they kill them for me since I don't have my CO2 chamber sealed up yet). I have two open mouse tubs since I fed off my other two trios that I can house the pairs in.

Thanks!
    LOL, thanks! I suck at math! If you can get just weaned rats, it's really just so much easier to deal with the moms. No claws in your hand, no slices of skin missing when you pick them up lol. Ouch, even my tame ones have some killer toenails.

Thanks

Woops one sec
    Last edited by littleindiangirl; 06-17-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast