Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

1 members and 2,929 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Payment Methods

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Payment Methods

What is the best payment method when buying from a small time breeder in a different location?

Paypal is probably the most prefered method for buyers, but I think it realy offers a false sense of security. I heard that when purchasing a live animal with Paypal, that the transaction is not disputable. Does anyone know if this is true??? Details??? I know sellers don't particularly like Paypal because of the transaction fees.

Nobody wants to send cash. Aren't money orders pretty much the same thing as cash? Personal checks could work, but I don't think they are disputable either if you don't get what you were supposed to get, or if what you get is dead / damaged.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic???!!!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Re: Payment Methods

Paypal. If you don't trust the person enough and feel they might rip you off, then don't go through with the transaction.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't know this for a fact, but I believe I've read on Fauna that Postal Money Orders are pretty safe, because if there is fraud involved, it carries a heavier penalty. I'd have to do more looking.

I'd probably take cash in person, and I'd accept money orders and personal checks (they'd have to clear before I send out animals).

I'm set up for Paypal, but I haven't sold anything yet.

Thanks

Credit Cards allow you to dispute charges but I'm not sure what their rules/policies are when it comes to live animals. Its worth looking into if you're not confident with who you're buying from.

Not all small breeders have information avaiable to judge their reputation upon; its part of the risk people take when dealing with a small breeders. Sometimes you score an awesome animal at a great price and other times you get burned. Trust and knowing who you are buying from are the only way to ensure a happy transaction from start to finish.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Well, when I bought my pastel male last year I sent the money via postal money order, and made it so that he would have to sign his name and have it verified before he could walk out with the money, and so that I would be contacted separately to confirm the money had been signed for. The transaction took longer, but was secure because I had reciepts. It worked well, though, and felt far more safe than sending cash or something.
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks

I prefer PayPal. Buyers have the choice of using a credit card or having the money taken straight from their account. I really like that feature as a buyer. I would have to agree with Nathan - if for any reason you don't trust the seller, don't send them your money! Unfortunately, it is always a risk buying animals online.

As a seller, I do not like to accept check or money order as it takes so much longer. I have had several potential customers tell me they will mail off the check or money order asap and then I never receive anything, nor do I ever hear back. That means the animal has been on hold for a week or two for nothing.

At shows, I prefer cash. I would love to be able to accept credit cards, but those fees make PayPal look like an incredible bargain. For those that don't know: there is a $15-20 monthly fee, fees on each transaction (usally just under 2% to about 3% plus .30 per transaction) and then the kicker for me - the $20 monthly minimum. Each month you must accumulate $20 in fees or pay the balance. So for people like me that only need to accept credit cards at shows, tack on $20 to the monthly fee 9 months out of the year. I love to use my credit card at shows (hate carrying cash), and I always wondered why some people didn't accept them. Now I know.

I did just learn about a service that PayPal has - sending money via text message on your cell phone! You need to activate your phone ahead of time, but it does offer an alternative to running off in search of an ATM at shows.

Thanks

Im currently dealing with a possible buyer that will only use PayPal, but my dad does not have a PayPal, causing a little bit of trouble... he wont even do a cashier check

my dad owns his own refuse truck parts biz, and has a credit card machine, but anything i sell with that i have to ad to the price to cover fee's... i have done that, and i have also done personal checks, and am willing to do cashier checks...

im hoping that this potential buyer will change his mind, seeing as i have no acces to paypal... :/
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

Thanks

If the concern is disputability then your best bet is to get a credit card with good fraud or purchase protection - and use it for all your on line transactions - because although you can't dispute a paypal payment for live animals (yes there is a clause in their TOS), you can dispute the purchase through your credit card company. It's a long and tedious procedure but it can be done -- make sure you keep all details of a transaction until you are completely satisfied everything is as purchased. In some cases the cc will refund your money immediately but if they decide you couldn't provide necessary proof they will take the money back. As well there is usually a time limit -- I know my cc that I use for all my snake purchases has excellent protection but two years later when I found out that I received a bunch of bogus hets from Top Shelf Exotics there was nothing they could do for me.

As a seller - I prefer Google check out - its fees are cheaper than Paypal and doesn't require buyer to open an account -- and the money is in my bank account usually in a day or two as opposed to the 3-4 that it takes paypal. But as a seller I'm flexible and I'm willing to take most forms of payment -- but things like cash, checks and money orders,etc. I do require them to be sent via an insured and traceable means - as protection for both parties.
    Tosha

The web page: JET Pythons
    The blog: http://jetpythons.blogspot.com/

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tosha_Mc View Post
    As a seller - I prefer Google check out - its fees are cheaper than Paypal and doesn't require buyer to open an account -- and the money is in my bank account usually in a day or two as opposed to the 3-4 that it takes paypal. But as a seller I'm flexible and I'm willing to take most forms of payment -- but things like cash, checks and money orders,etc. I do require them to be sent via an insured and traceable means - as protection for both parties.
    Google Checkout doesn't allow animal sales.. I had it and they refused service after they found out about my site. I learned the hard way..
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    Google Checkout doesn't allow animal sales.. I had it and they refused service after they found out about my site. I learned the hard way..
    Yikes - interesting - I'd never heard that -- I know I've bought and sold a bunch with out problems -- I guess I'll go back and check their TOS. Of course Paypal says the same thing and look how many people use it.

Google Check out animal policy.

Animals, animal parts, blood, or fluids and noxious weeds, prohibited seeds, plants or other organisms (including product derivatives) in danger of extinction or whose trade is otherwise regulated by law
    The way they wrote this animals could be all encompassing or it could mean "animals in danger of extinction or ..." in which case unless we were selling Panda bears we'd be ok. But you are probably right - LOL.
    Last edited by Tosha_Mc; 06-16-2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Additional information
    Tosha

The web page: JET Pythons
    The blog: http://jetpythons.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast