Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,432

1 members and 1,431 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

how to buy a snake from someone far, far, far away

How do you buy a snake from far away without getting screwed???

From beginning (picking the animal) to middle (how to pay) to end (how to make sure it actualy ends up on your doorstep still alive and healthy)....

Post your horror stories... post your favorite stories... post what you would do different next time. Post what you know!!!!

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Re: how to buy a snake from someone far, far, far away

Bought a female 66% possible het Pied female from someone who was supposed to be reputable. Received the snake and kept it for a year until I finally sexed it at over 800g. Snake turned out to be a male. I contacted the seller who said he would refund part of my money and that I had to pay to ship the snake back($74 via UPS). Seller went back and forth saying he would send me a pair of possible het hypos, which I didn't need, and I could keep the possible het pied male. He then said he wanted the possible het pied back so he could recoup part of his loss, and he would refund part of what I paid.

Long story short, I sent the snake back, got part of my money back and the seller has the snake on Kingsnake still trying to sell it.

Oh well! I just used that money to get an adult possible het Hypo female.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    Bought a female 66% possible het Pied female from someone who was supposed to be reputable. Received the snake and kept it for a year until I finally sexed it at over 800g. Snake turned out to be a male. I contacted the seller who said he would refund part of my money and that I had to pay to ship the snake back($74 via UPS). Seller went back and forth saying he would send me a pair of possible het hypos, which I didn't need, and I could keep the possible het pied male. He then said he wanted the possible het pied back so he could recoup part of his loss, and he would refund part of what I paid.

Long story short, I sent the snake back, got part of my money back and the seller has the snake on Kingsnake still trying to sell it.

Oh well! I just used that money to get an adult possible het Hypo female.
    that sucks a big one!
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python, 0.1.0 Albino Ball Python, 1.0.0 Spider Ball Python, 0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0.0 Sorong Type Green Tree Python, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Whites Tree Frog,

Thanks

Well, first thing to do is make sure the source is trustworthy and has a good selling rep! I've heard tons of horror stories, that one included (which does suck big time. Sorry to hear that Becky), about shady deals.

Next would be to make sure you can get extra pictures and size indications if possible. That way you know the snake you want is really what you're seeing. This is where my minor bad story comes in: I found a beauty of a female Hypo Bloodred corn snake on SerpenCo.com, a very reputable business out of Florida I believe. He couldn't give me any other pictures due to work load, so I ordered her anyway because she looked like just what I wanted. The fault was mine in not asking him via email how BIG she was... I expected a snake around 50g at least and got one that was 6g. Turns out she was (and still is) a slow grower and was the size of a hatchling. Oh well, she's a great little snake...now I just have to see about getting her to grow up.

Payment is the next thing to be sure of. PayPal is pretty good but can still have its drawbacks. Get whatever deal made on method of payment in writing (paper or via email) whenever possible.

Shipping is the most nerve wracking part of ordering any critter from far away. That's the one part where neither you nor the sender have control. Make sure to get a tracking number and keep your eye on the package.

So, mostly it's all about making sure the source is a good one and that you keep track and records of all parts of the transaction. Nothing a little research can't straighten out.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Well, first thing to do is make sure the source is trustworthy and has a good selling rep!
    okay now what about buying from first time breeders/sellers? You know, giving the little breeder a break?

yes i have a horror story that involves a first time breeder/shipper, but it was a lesson that we both learned well. Would I buy from this person again? Yes, because they learned their lesson (as did I) and the next snake they shipped to me (replacement for the first snake-the horror story) arrived safe and sound. I was kept up to date on how my new snake was doing while it was in their possession along with pics. I also have a minor horror story of my first bp being shipped via DHL without a heat pack in early November of '07. Too boot, he wasn't delivered on the day he was supposed to be, but the following day.

Its a matter of checking people out, but also following your gut instincts, we have them for a reason! If you feel something is wrong then follow through on that feeling and avoid that breeder/seller/snake. Eventually I will breed ball pythons too.. I would hope somebody would give me a chance, seeing as I do not have a "snake business" rep yet, just the rep of being the person I am right now.
    Doris

Thanks

This is what you do... Check the person or business out on the BOI, and you will get all the best and worst stories(if any) from most of that persons buyers. Then most of the time your payment will be through paypal. Choosing the animal is going to be up to you. If you feel comfy and like the animal you see (on a computer screen) then its all up to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Buy from someone that has been referred, has a good reputation or that someone else has had a positive experience.

Whenever you make a purchase online you are taking a chance but by doing your homework you lessen the chance of problems.

Also the lowest price can mean the biggest scam.

I purchased a female Pastel years ago when they where alot of $.
    Well this one was a bargain and after 8 months turned out to be a boy. I have several breeders that I have done lots of deals with that I wouldn't hesitate to buy from. One of my nicest animals came to me sight unseen because of the trust and relationships I have built with a certain breeder. Experience is your best friend. Do your homework and build relationships and you will be fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ladydragon View Post
    okay now what about buying from first time breeders/sellers? You know, giving the little breeder a break?

yes i have a horror story that involves a first time breeder/shipper, but it was a lesson that we both learned well. Would I buy from this person again? Yes, because they learned their lesson (as did I) and the next snake they shipped to me (replacement for the first snake-the horror story) arrived safe and sound. I was kept up to date on how my new snake was doing while it was in their possession along with pics. I also have a minor horror story of my first bp being shipped via DHL without a heat pack in early November of '07. Too boot, he wasn't delivered on the day he was supposed to be, but the following day.

Its a matter of checking people out, but also following your gut instincts, we have them for a reason! If you feel something is wrong then follow through on that feeling and avoid that breeder/seller/snake. Eventually I will breed ball pythons too.. I would hope somebody would give me a chance, seeing as I do not have a "snake business" rep yet, just the rep of being the person I am right now.
    Excellent points! When buying from someone I've never purchased from before, I do all my research on the BOI and ask around as well. But what really makes/breaks the deal for me are the interactions I have with them via email and on the phone. I really don't like curt responses like "The female pastel still available, 250 grams, we accept paypal". I know people are busy, but a short response like that tells me nothing at all about the person selling the snake. I prefer to get to know someone a bit before I buy.

JonV

Thanks

One of the longest transactions I've had was with a well known breeder of colubrids.

I bought the snake in late Oct or early November. Then the IL cold winter weather set in. The winter tempeatures finally gave up in IL so that the snake could finally be sent in early April. Just as i was about to send the breeder an email, stating the temperatures and inquiring if the snake could be sent, I got an email stating that the temps looked good and if that week was good for me. The snake arived in great shape and had been fed and housed over the winter in their facility (even though I owned it at that time).

I have had a couple snake transactions where I spent a lot of time communicating with breeders discussing winter temperatures and waiting for the snake to be sent. Both have gone very well. I checked the websites for the animal I wanted, sent off an email, did my research on the breeder beforehand..etc.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ladydragon View Post
    Of course, I just wasn't exactly sure how to put how to deal with a brand new breeder. You put it perfectly, though, in that you should look for any reference to them and then trust your instincts.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast