Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,346

1 members and 3,345 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Rat Diet Question

Is it possible to design a diet that would give my rats all of their required nutrition without resorting to lab block? I really want to start putting my animals on natural diets. I figured I'd start with my rats. My ferrets are on a kibble diet since things have been hectic here and we haven't had time to prepare raw meat meals and switch our new ferret additions over to a raw meat diet.

Anyway back to the subject at hand. I was wondering if those of you who keep rats as more than just feeders could help me research a rat's complete dietary need and how I could go about designing a diet that would help them get everything they need without having to go out and buy commercial food. I would be willing to cook/bake/prepare just about anything, but I do not want to resort to buying bagged, commercial food. This is kind of an experiment I guess. I want to design an organic natural diet for my rats and see just how expensive and time consuming it will be.

Anyone want to help me in this? First few things on my list to do are compiling a list of safe veggies, fruits, ect that are safe for rat consumption, and also trying to find their needs as far as nutrient intake.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Rat Diet Question

To be honest, even the most avid rat breeders comment on the issue of not really knowing if they are creating a perfectly balanced diet for their rats or not. I've seen this repeated all over the web at different rat web sites. The use of supplementing their diet like Becky's mix is the really best way to ensure your rats are getting adequate nutrition combined with the lab blocks.

I would not remove lab blocks from their diet. If you would like to give them the best options available for feed, do a google search for Rat diet, or Rat feed. You'll be met with all the same websites I've seen and the many different diets or regimines rat breeders use.

http://ratfanclub.org/diet.html
    http://www.spoiledratten.com/feedingcontent.html
    http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html
    http://www.dapper.com.au/articles.htm#diet
    http://ratguide.com/care/nutrition/diet.php

Hope this helps you in your search.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Asides from the concern of knowing if they are getting a complete diet, I'm sure it will take a lot of effort. Just doing the research will take a lot of time. You already say that things have been hectic and you've had to take your ferrets that were on a more natural/raw diet and put them on kibble.

While your intentions are admirable, be careful you don't over extend yourself. I've been guilty of this in the past. I have a friend who tries to keep her family on an all organic diet home cooked etc diet. Then she gets busy and her family ends up eating McDonald's because she doesn't allow anything that would be not as good as her ideal diet but better than McDonald's into her house.

OK, 2 paragraphs about what was supposed to be a quick work of caution. Anyway, if you want to go ahead with it, I think the links Connie provided are a good starting point. Also keep us updated, because I'm sure many people here would be interested in your findings.
    Casey

Thanks

They NEED to stay on a lab block diet. If they do not, you risk them getting too much/too little nutrients. If you try to do this, they can get too much or too little of a mineral or vitamin, and they could easily die. There isn't ANY breeder, even the most reputable breeders in Europe, who feed an all natural diet.

Get lab blocks, either from Harlan or from Mazuri, and in addition, make an organic, wholesome grain/dried fruit/dried veggie mix. Fresh veggies, fruits, grains, and meats are always welcome. They are omnivores, just like us(just no gallbladder).

You cannot replicate their diet, it is impossible.

I also hope you are supplementing your ferret's(and cats if they are on raw) diet with vitamin/mineral supplements, otherwise she's going to end up blind and with heart failure.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

If you feed the ferret's raw diet properly they do not require any supplements but we have a vitamin supplement that we use anyway. Certain meats and organs provide different nutrients and we give whole prey as well to make sure we didn't miss any nutrients (they get skin, fur, certain organs you can't find in the grocery store, ect.)

As for the rats, I already feed them Mazuri lab block. I was just hoping to find a really good natural diet for them. If lab block is in their best interest, I will not change that part of their diet, but I am going to find organic ingredients for their fruit/grain/veggie mix.

Thanks for the replies.
    Under Construction.....