Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,475

0 members and 2,475 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Greetings from the Flood!

Good evening!

I'm new here, and new to BPs. I just got a young BP from craigslist of all places - his previous owner was a college student who snuck the snake into his dorm room and, predictably, got caught and was told he had to get rid of it.

I've had herps before but never a snake, but I've always wanted one. So I did my research, lots of reading, and so far things are going well. He's in the middle of a shed so he looks less than ideal right now. I'm leaving him alone for the most part, but I couldn't help but take a photo of him:

"Don't look at me, I look like a zombie snake!"

As for the other creatures in the house.... I have three dogs. Two Dobermans and a Welsh Corgi.

Ilsa is my oldest dobe - 7 years old. She's the love of my life - great dog. She couldn't care less that there's a snake in the house...

Ronin is my younger dobe - 5 years old. Retired show dog and general pain in the rear. Cute though, so I can't stay mad at him for long. Not to mention he's done his job protecting me more than once... gotta love a dobe that isn't afraid to try to take a mugger's face off! He's fascinated by the snake...

Lastly, the demon corgi, Ada. She's nearly 2 years old, and the most infuriation dog in the house - when a 25lb corgi thinks she's a dobe... life is interesting.

As for me... I'm just a poor college graduate, degree in graphic design. I work in a print shop and freelance for dog show magazines on the side. Doesn't bring in much, but it keeps kibble in the bowls, and now rodents in the snake.

I live in Iowa, and right now I'm pretty much watching my hometown get washed away by the Cedar River. I'm not in any direct danger, as the town I live in now is only marginally flooded. The dog park is under water, which is no fun but at least we're not in any danger!

One quick question though - does a BP absolutely need a lamp, or is a head pad sufficient? I've read mixed things about it, and if I could, I'd rather not use one. I'm probably being paranoid, but it seems like too much of a fire hazard to me. And the last thing I want to do is burn my little snake. He seems to like it cooler anyway - he came with one hide on the warm side of his terrarium. I know that BPs should have hides on both sides, so I put another one in the other end... and he spends most of his time in the "cooler" hide.

Anyway, that's me. This looks like a great forum, I look forward to learning a lot more and meeting more BP folk! This may be my first BP, but I highly doubt it'll be my last... I think I'm hooked!

Thanks

Re: Greetings from the Flood!

1st of all 2nd of all.. those are some beautiful critters u got there!

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

I AM IN LOVE!!!

I am getting a Doberman as my next dog, and your animals are awesome...

WELCOME, and did you know we have a dog section? I think you need to acquaint yourself with it and post LOTS of pics.

That Zombie Snake is looking good too! Nice and dark

Quote Originally Posted by sekaiNdobes View Post
    One quick question though - does a BP absolutely need a lamp, or is a head pad sufficient?
    Heat pad is fine...
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

He looks like he may need a little assistance with his shed if it doesn't come off in the next day or two. Here's a great link to help you!

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=43403

Wait until Judy (JLC) sees your thread - she adores dobe's as well!

And I don't use lights for any of my crew!

Thanks

OMG, your dobies are beautiful!!! (always been a sucker for them) your corgi is cute too.. congrats on your new snake! (and welcome to the site). Beautiful photos too.. i love the bokeh in them

Thanks

Hi! I'm in Iowa City and the river is rising here, too. We've had massive evacuations and large portions of the town underwater already, and the crest isn't supposed to arrive until Tuesday. I'm already forming contingency plans for my ball pythons if I get evacuated....

Great job adopting that ball python! It looks like he does need a little help shedding. If you go to www.8ballpythons.com go to the Journal, then click on "Shedding Lessons". That video is really good.

Just let us know if you have more questions!

JonV

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome!

He looks like he may need a little assistance with his shed if it doesn't come off in the next day or two.
    Yeah... that's what I've been thinking. At first I was torn between giving him his space (since he's in a new home) and helping him, but if it's not gone by today, tonight I'll give him a hand.

WELCOME, and did you know we have a dog section? I think you need to acquaint yourself with it and post LOTS of pics.
    No I didn't, I'll check it out... and don't worry, I'm a photo nut - there will be GOBS of photos!

Thanks

to PB.net !! Your BP is very nice looking.. Your dog are soo awesome!! Very nice...
    Stephanie

Thanks

Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Hello and Welcome! Congrats on your new snakie! There is a world of great info here, I too LOVE your Dobies! We had a Fawn that we recently lost to old age... amazing dogs! Love the dobie trapped in a Corgie's body too!

Ummm.... we're pic happy here, if you haven't noticed!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast