Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,603

1 members and 2,602 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

View Poll Results: Have you been bit by your BP?

Voters
3200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, more than once

734 22.94%
  • Yes, but only once

580 18.13%
  • Never and I've had at least one BP for over a year

682 21.31%
  • Never but I've only had my BP for less than a year

1,204 37.63%
Page 79 of 83 FirstFirst ... 29697071727374757677787980818283 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: POLL: Have you been bit by a BP?

I got bit by my first BP when i was younger. Other than that I've been bit by wild king snakes and that's about it.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Thanks

Bit once, poor shed when I inherited her, eye caps stuck, she hit my finger rather than the mouse! User error, has never happened again!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus - "Always faithful terrible lizard."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to e_nigma For This Useful Post:

dr del (05-02-2020)

Thanks

By a BP? I’ve only been bitten once. Years ago, I thought this particular animal wasn’t going to eat, so I tried to grab the dead rat (it was f/t) from her enclosure. She, in fact, DID NOT want her food taken away from her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Yep. My normal buy was Very defensive when I first got him. He is good now though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Deep Purple Passion BP

Thanks
    Ball Pythons are generally quite docile. However those who have been mistreated (like my current rehab project) or are hungry, in shed, etc. can bite. It doesn't hurt very much at all, mostly like any snake bite the speed is a bit startling if you've never been bitten before.
    Some girls were horse girls growing up. I was a snake girl.

Daughter of a herpetologist, student of the "Snake Man" Al Robbins, lover of all animals.
    Finished my M.B.S! Currently employed with grassmere outreach!

I specialize in rehabilitation and work with local fish and wildlife for rehab/release of native species. For exotics I work with reptile sanctuaries to rehabilitate and rehome to either qualified private owners or humane licensed facilities. I do not believe in fatal population control.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't know everything but I can point you towards resources.
    Do not message me with images of a snake you killed to identify it. I will ignore you.

Thanks

Lessons learned- hope this helps others

In four years, the only other strike was due to my son coming in too fast from above/front. That time, Cinnamon let go of him, immediately... a defensive bite.

In retrospect, Cinnamon had shed in the day or two prior and hadn’t eaten in over a month. I was anxious about it and in a hurry, because it was getting too late at night. I had handled the rat to ensure it was thoroughly warmed. I used a short 4” hemostat to offer it. The snake struck PAST the rat and grabbed hold of the thumb on my opposite hand, at least a foot past the rat... and coiled up, constricting around it. That caused it to bleed pretty good.

The shock was far worse than the bite. It hurt a little with a larger snake, but it’s very tolerable. The bite left tiny pinholes in opposing U shaped jawline patterns. Recovery/healing was very fast. I took the normal precautions of washing the wound and applying antibiotic salve to stave off any infection. I had no pain as it healed and three days later you couldn’t tell what had happened.

The bigger problem was how to get the snake to RELEASE me after biting, since my thumb was going to become dinner. I wasn’t sure what to do. With the adrenalin lowering in my system and rational thought returning- I realized that forcing/prying could end up in injury and a bigger loss of trust, so I ended up going into the bathroom and put her briefly under the faucet with some cold water, barely dribbling.. and she IMMEDIATELY unlatched.

We’ve been staring at each other with hurt looks through the enclosure door, for about two weeks, now... but it’s time to get back on the bus and try again. Once she eats, she’ll feel better and be happier... then, after a couple of days, I will start handling her again in order to rebuild trust.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I've now been tagged 2x, both by hungry young pastels, one looking for food and one when I removed food he hadn't taken. Both hit me quick once and backed right off, couldn't really feel anything, those teeth are tiny.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    I've now been tagged 2x, both by hungry young pastels, one looking for food and one when I removed food he hadn't taken. Both hit me quick once and backed right off, couldn't really feel anything, those teeth are tiny.
    Odd enough my best EVER Royal feeder was a Pastel .. he ate every time plus any leftovers.. . I had to use a hook to get him out as he was insatiable.. lovely once out of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Odd enough my best EVER Royal feeder was a Pastel .. he ate every time plus any leftovers.. . I had to use a hook to get him out as he was insatiable.. lovely once out of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The one was an acquaintances that I had for a year, the other the rescue I took in last year. What's interesting is both of them are/were great feeders for me, never the slightest issue but both were in poor condition when I got them, stuck shed, severely underweight, "wouldn't eat". Nothing wrong with the snakes and everything wrong with their setups and temps.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-25-2020)

Thanks

I have had 3 ball pythons and a current boa constrictor and never gotten bit. I came really close once, but to my surprise, the ball python didn't even open its mouth. It just lunged at me and hit me with its head lmao.

Page 79 of 83 FirstFirst ... 29697071727374757677787980818283 LastLast