Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,019

2 members and 3,017 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm new anddd..

Thanks

I'm new anddd..

I want advice. Haha. Isn't that great? First, for my introduction.

My name is Krissy, I'm 17, and I love ball pythons. And that's what I need advice about.. I don't know what kind of ball python to get.

I love the regular ball pythons, but I think the ivory and albino ones are gorgeous. I've never actually owned a ball python, but I know they're a big commitment since they can live up to 40 years.

I love the way they feel, which makes me want to go ahead and get the cheaper option...to satisfy my want. BUT. I'm wondering if it would be better to save up for the one I *really* want.

I don't have a job at the moment, but I'm looking. My mom has FINALLY (3 very long years) agreed to letting me get one, as long as I pay. Which makes me spaz out and want to buy one ASAP. I've had two past friends/acquaintences that owned regular ball pythons, and I begged to hold them every time I went over to their house.

I know the obvious thing to do would be to save up. I'm just all...not patient. I've already decided to buy everything before the snake as I earn money. First would be the cage. I want to go all out and buy one that's large enough for stretching room as it ages (but not so big that it crowds my already over-stuffed room). Then comes the decorating.. Hahh. Habitats and all that jazz. Then comes the thermometer, heating pad, etc.

Oh, and I live in Louisiana. If there are any breeders in the Baton Rouge/Walker area, I'd love to chat about the various prices and such. Even though I'm already leaning towards buying one from Exotics By Nature.

So yeah. Any stories/advice/welcomes you want to give are muchly welcome.

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I'm new anddd..

Well, first off, welcome.

Secondly, I think you need to evaluate your setup before you get your animal. Put your initial money into the AWESOME housing you will be putting your potential snake in, and then save up for the animal. It would not be a good idea to do it the other way around, and have a expensive snake in a shoebox under your bed

EBN is good people. I suggest talking with them.

Look around (search for threads to find your answers), take some time, ask some questions, etc..

It'll be fun!!!
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

welcome!!!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i had the same issue,wasnt sure if i should get one now or wait but to be honest i think you should get one now so you stop spazing and save up for one you really want.since i got my first a few months ago i have added 2 more and still wanting more.see about getting a nice female ball and as she grows you can be saving for a more expensive morph to breed with her later on down the road.it takes females longer to reach sexual maturity and you might not have any interest in breeding now but i garuntee if you stay in this forum that will change.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    Well, first off, welcome.

Secondly, I think you need to evaluate your setup before you get your animal. Put your initial money into the AWESOME housing you will be putting your potential snake in, and then save up for the animal. It would not be a good idea to do it the other way around, and have a expensive snake in a shoebox under your bed

EBN is good people. I suggest talking with them.

Look around (search for threads to find your answers), take some time, ask some questions, etc..

It'll be fun!!!

Don't worry. (: In my post I mentioned that I'm getting everything for the snake BEFORE I get the snake. He's going to have a very nice home to dwell in. Like..the MANSION of snake homes. Well..maybe not a mansion. But atleast a nice townhouse or something. Thanks for the advice.

And thanks, DGSB, for the welcome. ^_^

Thanks

welcome to the site. be sure to read all the stickies and youll learn lots of information

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butters420 View Post
    i had the same issue,wasnt sure if i should get one now or wait but to be honest i think you should get one now so you stop spazing and save up for one you really want.since i got my first a few months ago i have added 2 more and still wanting more.see about getting a nice female ball and as she grows you can be saving for a more expensive morph to breed with her later on down the road.it takes females longer to reach sexual maturity and you might not have any interest in breeding now but i garuntee if you stay in this forum that will change.
    I'm just worried about breeding because caring for the eggs seems so difficult. Keeping the right temperature, I mean. But that IS a good idea. Do snakes require seperate cages. i.e.: Would I have to worry about the female and male attacking eachother or eating the eggs?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tideguyinva View Post
    welcome to the site. be sure to read all the stickies and youll learn lots of information
    Agh!! I can't post fast enough for you guys. Thanks so much for the warm welcome. And I'll make sure to do that.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to double post. I'm used to forums merging my posts.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'm just worried about breeding because caring for the eggs seems so difficult. Keeping the right temperature, I mean. But that IS a good idea. Do snakes require seperate cages. I.e.: Would I have to worry about the female and male attacking eachother or eating the eggs?

you should be worried about keeping the right temps for your snake too not just the eggs.and you should always keep them in seperate cages because of risk of spreading illness or anything like that plus it could lead to stress and failure to eat.i dont see 2 snakes attacking eachother but i guess it could be a drawback.i personally havnt began to breed and had no interest either but after seeing some of the eggs and offspring some of these people in here have produced i think im gonna try it in a few years.im sure it has a certain degree of difficulty but if you have the time and energy i dont think it should be too big of a deal.and sorry for no welcome so here it is (welcome to bp.net)always nice to have another bp enthusiest

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast