Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,115

0 members and 2,115 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Question Trans Pecos - tell me more

Hey all, got my usual kind of query - tell me all you know about trans pecos rat snakes.

There's an 8 yr old female needing to be adopted out at Petco - surrendered b/c the previous keeper was moving. She is labeled "Thaispecos," but I think they mean Trans pecos; correct me if she could be something else. She looks about right, but I only looked at her briefly. She strikes and bites - supposedly b/c she was fed live in her tank. I said that it's usually more than that causing a snake to be aggressive. I took her out, w/out getting bitten. But when I put her back in, I put the back of my hand too close to her and she bit. Not too bad. She kept her mouth open threateningly so I could get a nice look at what a pretty yellow it is. Her tongue was black, but seemed to have a touch of red or pink on the very back of it. She's free with 20 L tank - just a donation to their adoption foundation.

Thoughts? How well do these guys tame down with handling and proper husbandry? Does this possibly fit my bill for colubrid opening in my collection? Interesting or not worth it?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Trans Pecos - tell me more

I keep and breed trans pecos.
    One in a hundred might be a biter.They are usually very calm though there are exceptions to the rule.
    From my colony of 6 T.P.R.'s not one is a biter.
    All my animals feed readily on frozen thawed rodents of appropriate size.I don't keep a light or heat on any of mine.They are kept at 72 degree room temps with no problams at all.
    A well ventilated enclosure is a MUST and hold a very diligent cleaning schedule.They are more prone to pathogenic bacteria than other snakes I have kept so a clean well ventilated cage and clean fresh water is a must.A hide of moist sphagnum moss in a shoe box with a hole cut in the lid aids in shedding and gives the animal a place to retreat.Once settled in you will find they are a very curious snake and will actually come out of thier hides and watch your movements.They almost seem to have a level of intelligents about them.I have been hooked on them since the mid 80's and have always had a few in my collection before they where as popular as they are now.
    Here's a few pics for ya.

Thanks

Thanks, Mike! Sounds like a keeper then. What is the phase/morph in the top two pictures? A blonde? That is exactly how this girl looks.

How often do they musk? I thought snakes musked through their anal vents. But she had grayish liquid come out of her pores on the side of her body, not even close to her anal vent. Is that where they musk from, like a gland? Or is that b/c she tried to bite someone else and bit herself? I saw this same sort of liquid come out of the black rat I rehabbed - he musked but also had bitten himself when he went for my husband.

I wonder if her previous keeper abused/neglected her...? She bit me when I was moving her hide back into place I had already put her back in the enclosure - my hand moved toward her as I lifted the log and she bit me.

Thanks

*sneaks in* I don't usually post (I'm a lurker) but I just had to say that that snake in the second picture has absolutely gorgeous eyes (well... eye). So they don't don't require heating or lighting at all? Is there a good website out there with more information about 'em, do you know?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    *sneaks in* I don't usually post (I'm a lurker) but I just had to say that that snake in the second picture has absolutely gorgeous eyes (well... eye). So they don't don't require heating or lighting at all? Is there a good website out there with more information about 'em, do you know?
    I say mine do well without heat and lights.I'm probably on the low side of optimum temps.It just seems to work for me that way.My snakes eat well,digest,and breed,so I don't "fix" what's not broken.
    As far as a good website go to Subocs.com Dustin Rhoades is quite the fancier of T.P.R.'s
    Also check out the link to his blog,simply subocs.
    He also has written the first book of it's kind that's almost exclusively about T.P.R.'s
    I recieved my signed copy last week.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike m View Post
    I say mine do well without heat and lights.I'm probably on the low side of optimum temps.It just seems to work for me that way.My snakes eat well,digest,and breed,so I don't "fix" what's not broken.
    As far as a good website go to Subocs.com Dustin Rhoades is quite the fancier of T.P.R.'s
    Also check out the link to his blog,simply subocs.
    He also has written the first book of it's kind that's almost exclusively about T.P.R.'s
    I recieved my signed copy last week.
    Awesome. Thanks.

Thanks

Mike you have some gorgeous snakes!

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks

I looked at the "paint jobs (morphs)" section on http://www.suboc.com and found this.

Last edited by JLC; 06-15-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: fixed broken link ;-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V1L3 DiaL3cT View Post
    Mike you have some gorgeous snakes!
    Thank you very much.I appreciate that compliment.