Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,708

0 members and 2,708 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Getting excited about mickey mouse!

Out of sheer bordom, I am trying to develop genetic distinct color "morphs" of ASF's. I have 5 completely unrelated lines that I am working with. It is still a brand new project... only a couple months old. The progress is SLOW but steady. So here is a list of what I have so far.... they are dam near impossible to take a picture of with my slow camera... and when I do finaly get one in focus, the color is just pathedic compared to real life so please keep that in mind... after about 2 hours of trying to take pics, i gave up.... So I only have pics of some of them.

So far I have:
    Normal = mostly brown / grey body with all white head and ears. Seem to be most dominant except for Mickey Mouse.

Brindle = all brindle. First one just born last week. Will get a pic as soon as it looks like an ASF.

Caped = all white with black or brown colored cape

Albino Caped = all wite small gold colored cape seems to be the meanest... Just LOVE to bite.

Gremlin Brindle = all brindle with white stripe on forehead

Brown Gremlin = all brown with white stripe on forehead

Gold (albino) = all gold albino

Grey Gremlin = all grey with white stripe on forehead

Albino Gremlin (albino) all gold albino with withe stripe on forehead

Blue Gremlin = all super light grey / nearly blue with with stripe on forhead. Not quite there yet but VERY close to blue... coloring in pic does it NO JUSTICE. This is first and only produced so far. almost at breeding age.

Mickey Mouse = normal with black ears

Dumbo Micky Mouse = Micky Mouse with large ears. My favorite, and the one I am most excited about next to the blue gremlin... Hard to tell in pic, but its ears are considerably larger then normal. This is the first generation of the larger ears..... and one of its sibling is identical. Will try to play around a bit to see if I can get the ears any bigger.

As you can see for a while the gremlins were my favorte... but I am starting to see a much bigger picture.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Re: Getting excited about mickey mouse!

Totally FRUSTRATED!!!!

I did this thread on my lap top... and now I am looking at it on a normal monitor. THESE PICS SUCK!!!! the colors are totally jacked up. The gremlins for instance all look the same!!! even the blue looks brown!!!! spent a lot of time on this and the pics are crap. sorry guys. I need a better camera. They actualy do totally different from one another believe it or not...

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

They're all adorable - I particularly like the gold albinos! And a dumbo!!!!!! Don't bring me any mean ones to Daytona though! I've got a male that I play bull fighter with right now! LOL

Can't wait to see more pictures when you are able to get them!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    I did this thread on my lap top... and now I am looking at it on a normal monitor. THESE PICS SUCK!!!! the colors are totally jacked up. The gremlins for instance all look the same!!! even the blue looks brown!!!! spent a lot of time on this and the pics are crap. sorry guys. I need a better camera. They actualy do totally different from one another believe it or not...

Mike
    Hi, you might want to go to some of the photography websites and calibrate your monitor. Try searching for monitor calibration in google. You can buy software to do this, but unless you're really into photography, it's probably more than you want to do.

I don't know what camera you're using, but it's good to know what you're looking at is really representative of what you photographed...or at least as close to it as you can get.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

As far as I know about ASF genetics, there are 2 main colors for agouti. Grey and Cinnamon. The only other major color described is the Fawn color (Red eyed dilute). This fawn color does change when either background color.

On Grey agouti, the fur is Fawn with a very grey undertone. When it's on a cinnamon Agouti background, the fur is Fawn from tip to shaft.

So far there hasn't been a non agouti color described.

As to the patterns, the piedbald is the dominant white heads and butts, and the head striping is either recessive to the piedbald or a simple recessive. If that makes sense.

I'd be intereseted with what colors you do actually end up with. So far what I described seems to be the most accepted and prominant colors.

I do suspect another color similar to cinnamon, but mine aren't grown up enough to see the difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    As far as I know about ASF genetics, there are 2 main colors for agouti. Grey and Cinnamon. The only other major color described is the Fawn color (Red eyed dilute). This fawn color does change when either background color.

On Grey agouti, the fur is Fawn with a very grey undertone. When it's on a cinnamon Agouti background, the fur is Fawn from tip to shaft.

So far there hasn't been a non agouti color described.

As to the patterns, the piedbald is the dominant white heads and butts, and the head striping is either recessive to the piedbald or a simple recessive. If that makes sense.

I'd be intereseted with what colors you do actually end up with. So far what I described seems to be the most accepted and prominant colors.

I do suspect another color similar to cinnamon, but mine aren't grown up enough to see the difference.
    I completely forgot about Eva's page! She does have some great descriptions on her own findings regarding inheritance and colors.
    http://goto.glocalnet.net/natal/genetics.htm

Thanks

what kind of bedding is that? just wondering

Thanks

I'll take the liberty and say Equine Fresh or some other wood pellets.

Thanks

cool thank you

Thanks

Yep, equine fresh. best stuff in the world, and only $6 for a huge 40lb bag.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333