Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,292

0 members and 1,292 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation What Do I Do Now?

Here is my huge dilemma. I just graduated high school and planned on going to college around where I live so I can commute. I had everything set up and got into a college around where I live at but now sadly I want to switch majors and in order to do that I need to go to a different college. I am going to the college around here for the year but after that year I am hopefully going to a different college but farther away. They do not allow animals into any dorms at any of the colleges I have picked to look at. I do have Ball Python and I only bought one because I figured I would stick around and not have to live the dorm life. However things have changed a little and I feel sooo horrible . I am like those people that I despise because they bought a pet and did not think ahead fully and now have to give it away. I feel really bad that I did this to an animal. I'm so ashamed of myself but I do not know what to do or who to give him to. I want him to go to a good experienced snake owning home and would soo not trust anyone remotely around where I live. I know this is a year away but I am worried about where he will go. I love my snake and want the best for him. When the time comes what should I do? I have never given an animal away before.
    You can lick em, and lick em, and lick em, and they never get any smaller ~Willie Wonka

What were you thinkin?

Thanks

Re: What Do I Do Now?

Well, heres the only options that seem to make sense to me.

1) Sneak it into the dorm.
    2) Find a friend/relative to keep it short term, ie, until you are out of college, minus long breaks, summers, etc.
    3) Find a friend/relative to keep it long term, ie, you give it to them for good, and if you want another one down the road, its up to you to find one.
    4) Find someone to take the snake, or give it to a rescue. I would advise finding someone reputable on this forum or through a herp society/rescue, but if that doesnt work out, you can always give it to the rescue directly.

I may or may not be in the position to take another bp in the timeframe you are talking about, but just to throw it out there, I may be able to take him if you want. I live in michigan, but I see you dont have a location listed. Either way, sorry to hear about the news and best of luck.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Im in the same situation as you. Im staying here for two years of community college the moving out and probably a long ways away, and not sure if I will be able to bring my snakes.

Not sure what to do other than find a good home for it, or see if someone in your house would be willing to care for it in your absence.

Thanks

Unhappy Re: What Do I Do Now?

Ya basically none of my family members liked my snake from the start. So the whole giving it to a family members out and sneaking it into the dorm would be hard lol they do periodic inspections and surprise visits. I would like to give it to a rescue but up here in Maine I have never seen a Snake in a rescue place before. I would love to be able to give him to some one and then when I am done with college take him back that would be wonderful but I know no one who would do that. All my friends think he's neat but none would ever think about keeping him. I do live in Maine as I stated up there. This may sound crazy but you think if I found some one to give him to they might keep him for me and then when I am done with college give him back? Like if I paid them a set amount each week to pay for the cost of food? Or something weird like that
    You can lick em, and lick em, and lick em, and they never get any smaller ~Willie Wonka

What were you thinkin?

Thanks

I am sure you could find someone to do that. You may even be able to talk to a rescue, or perhaps a breeder, and see if they can essentially board it for x amount time. I would offer to take care of it for you for a while, but I know shipping would be a pain and I am almost certain my girlfriend wouldnt fly for it.
    -Austin

Thanks

Haha ya my boy friend hates my snake to but I choose my animals if he doesn't like it then we don't ever have to live with each other thats nice of you but ya if she won't fly for it then I wouldn't prob do it >.< thank you anyways. I went from wanting to do computers to wanting to be a Vet and being a vet fits me better then being a computer tech

What were you thinkin?

Thanks

I know how you feel. I started pre-vet, then i didnt know, then I thought linguistics or history/philosophy, and now I am at Zoology with pretty strong intentions on vet school. I will only be a sophomore in the fall though, so i have time. I just read an article about the new full time vet at John Ball Zoo and I think it solidified my thoughts. I want to be a vet. Anyway, good luck with everything.
    -Austin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

There is a reptile rescue in Maine. PM me and I'll try to get you the info. You could also ask the rescue about boarding.
    Hope this helps.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Try NEARR. Also ask on the Maine Herp website if anyone could short or longterm care for your snake.

http://www.reptilerescue.net/

http://www.maineherp.org/

What part of maine are you in? I am in southern maine and I have a friend up in way northern maine. Maybe we could help find someoen close by to help?

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Thanks

Is living in a dorm your final decision.
    I lived off campus because of my snakes ... just a thought.

But if giving your snake away is a must .. you have a whole year to really look into it. Find someone or an organization you completely feel comfortable giving your snake to.
    0.1.0 Ball Python:Syka
    0.0.1 Carpet Python: Vlad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast