Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,981

1 members and 2,980 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

New member, need some general info from OWNERS

I have friends who have had pythons albino, ball green, and something huuuge that required a special permit and was like 18ft long. Ok maybe it wasnt a python.

I live in a large 6th fl loft in a 101 year old conctrete building. Gets colder inside in winter (maybe like 48*) but never really hot even in summer. (California). I want a pet but do not have the time or environment that would be fair for a dog or any mammal.

Ive owned reptiles and insects but never a BP. Ive got plenty of windows and natural light. Based on my situation is there anything you can recommend as far as care and keeping it happy and healthy?

Also is there a formula for feeding? I read every couple of weeks but im sure size and weight and activity of the snake are factors. What size aquarium do owners recommend? Ive looked at babies, well smaller snakes around 12" but I dont want to throw it our when it gets too big or keep bringing up larger glass for it. Also, will it get so big that I cant get a large enough tank for it up to the 6th floor?

I want to make sure I can do it right before I do it.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New member, need some general info from OWNERS

ya i usually throw my snakes out when they get too big as well...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Most people that keep snakes, and keep alot of snakes, have separate rooms for them. That way it is easier to maintain appropriate heat.

But for one snake, you just need to ensure that your snake has a controlled environment. His/her environment will be their enclosure.

I use heat tape - flexxwatt, for each end of my enclosures. Which means having two thermostats and two separate heating devices (flexxwat, heat pads, etc.) that keep the cool end at 80-84 degrees, and the hot end at 90-94 degrees.

As well you want to measure those temps with a dual indoor/outdoor thermometer and hydrogemeter. That will also measure your humidity.

If you have the enclosure set up to a thermostats, or two thermostats, they will adjust as the temperatures in your space change, and will maintain constant temps for your snake.

Maintaining constant temps and humidity is crucial. You create an environment that has a thermal gradient and appropriate humidity, then your snake is free to move around within that environment in order to find the appropriate place it needs to be.

Good luck, BPs are a really rewarding pet.

I live in a loft and have b/w 15 - 20 bps at all times. I manage to keep their husbandry impeccable. And we have no central heating, it is all space heaters (convectaires).

I would recommend though keeping your snakes in a part of your space where you are likely to get the least amount of temp fluctuations. I keep mine in the back of the space, away from the windows.

One concern for you... is that is the temps in your space drop substantially, then that would limit your handling of your snake. You do not want to be taking it from a controlled environment to a cold environment, especially for extended periods of time.

I also keep corn snakes, milksnakes, rats, ASFs, mice, gerbils, insects, and one lizard. No one that comes into my space even knows we keep animals unless we tell them and point out where they are hiding throughout the space.

Bruce

A snake in a loft...
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigballs View Post
    ya i usually throw my snakes out when they get too big as well...
    Totally missed that part.
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Derteufel View Post
    ...Ive got plenty of windows and natural light...but I dont want to throw it out when it gets too big..
    Here's an idea: Go to a zoo and spend the day around all of the animals and then go back to your place. I think you might not be quite ready for the care and respect that is involved in 'keeping' animals.

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

I think he's talking about the tank having to grow in size with the snake. He doesn't want to have to keep throwing away tanks as the snake gets bigger.

Tanks do not insulate well, especially in cold environments. Try an actual reptile enclosure for when the snake is older, and smaller plastic tub enclosures for when the snake is small. Plastic insulates better and isn't expensive(plus you can use the tubs for storage after the snake has outgrown them).
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Usually I don't highly support tubs, but in this case I believe it's called for.

Tubs are light and easy to carry up stairs. Tubs are cheap, so getting a larger one won't break the bank. Tubs do keep humidity up without much work, and they can be made to look almost as nice as a tank.
    When the snake is full grown, you could get it into a nice reptile display cage that would also be lighter than a glass tank of the same size and better looking.

Make sure, BEFORE you even look at snakes to buy, that you can afford and get the basics: Tub (12qt for babies, 15-32qt for sub adults), two identical hides (from caves to flower pots and bowls), a heavy shallow water dish (cat and dog ceramic bowls do quite nicely), Heat source (from a ZooMed UTH pad to Flexwatt heat tape for under tank heating), and a thermostat to control the heat (ReptiTemp 500R - $30. Ranco or Johnson - $80. Herpstat - $110+), and a digital thermometer preferably with probe (Acurite in/out/humidity - $12 WalMart or Lowes)
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    I think he's talking about the tank having to grow in size with the snake. He doesn't want to have to keep throwing away tanks as the snake gets bigger.
    Good catch.

To the OP... it sounds like you do not have a real strong idea on what kind of snake you are interested in. You should narrow it down *a bit*.

Pythons can get to be everywhere from 3 - 30 feet... so it really depends on the species that you like and find appealing. Then figure out if you can provide for it long term.

Ball pythons are perfect apartment pets. They do not get too large. Do not need huge ensclosures.

Other pythons can be smaller or larger... so again, depends on what you are looking for in a snake.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

Loft Lizard, thank you for the reply. Very Helpful. I AM looking at a BP sorry I was not clear.

Argenta, you nailed it, I dont want to put it in a tub. I want to do it right the first time.

SatanicIntention, ya I want to do it right once and get everything I need to take care of a BP start to finish. LL and Argenta gave me some good advice. But you are right. I do not want to get a snake that will eventually get too big for anything I can get up 6 floors and through the door.

Bigballs, this is a huge problem in Florida. I dont know if you didnt read my OP carefully, I DO NOT plan doing this.

starmom, what are you talking about?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

This article has a LOT of excellent information about BP's....from how big you can expect them to get, to most of your different options in caring for them:

http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=59

There are many methods to choose from...it'll be up to you to figure out what will work best in your particular situation. I'll offer this bit of advice though....if your home gets really chilly in the winter and you don't want to go with a plastic tub as a home....I'd spring for a professionally built enclosure designed specifically for snakes with the heating elements and t-stats already installed. It's an expensive way to go, but you get an attractive enclosure that you can be reasonably sure will keep the snake's environment at the appropriate levels. (Glass tanks would be VERY hard to use given the conditions you described)
    -- Judy

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast