Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,974

2 members and 2,972 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Rack Almost Done

We had some issues with the rat rack while building. We didn't predrill holes for the screws and so we had wood splitting issues and the legs were going off at weird angles. So now we've sawed off the legs for the most part and took the rack down to 3 tubs. We but bracers on to make it more sturdy and we are in the process of putting the runners on. Then I can go to the store and get the tubs for the rack.

So without crowding anyone, how many rats can live comfortably in a tub that is 22.25" by 16.75"? I also want to give them toys and things to chew on. And how best can I hook up waterbottles for these tubs? I can't do a watering system since I wouldn't put that kind of money into a rack with only 3 tubs.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Rack Almost Done

Sorry to hear of all your issues, hubby had some trouble with the latest rack but it worked out alright. Since I'm always ready to show pics, and hopefully they'll help...here:

This is how we did the rack, and a distant view of how we did water bottles:

This is a closeup of how we did the water bottles, nothing spiffy really, although we've found it to work better with the 45 degree water bottles from Lixit, we just put it in the hardware cloth, and rest it on the wood frame:

As to how many can comfortably live in that space;
    This.....is too many lol, (thinning out tomorrow and they haven't been in there long, ended up out of room):

This is better, although only a holder, so they will not be in there until adult size in that quantity:

This is our breeding groups, kept permanently in this rack. I prefer a 1:6, but 1:7 seems to work quite well equally.

As far as toys go, I don't provide them, more because they're not realistic at the size we're aiming for then anything, there's room for anything but a wheel though, and plenty of room for chew toys.

Hope to help!

Thanks

Are the tubs the same size I said above? I'm going to be using litter pans. I was planning on a 1.3 group per tub. I plan on using 20g Long tanks as grow out tanks for feeders and using 10g tanks as maternity tanks. And I will be using extra cages (my old ferret cage, and my friends old ferret cage) as vacation cages for resting females.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

No, not quite. The cement tubs are slightly larger, and we've found them easier. They are 19 x 25 x about 6.5. Also neglected to mention we don't leave mommas in those breeding groups to deliver, they have their own maternity rack, part of why the higher ratio works. If you're going with the larger cat litter pans I would say you could keep up to a 1:5 though, if you're intending (which it sounds like you are) to seperate them to birth.

Thanks

I do intend on seperating them for the birth and raising of their litters. I like to keep track of who's babies are who so I don't do any inbreeding.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

I will keep up to 3 females and one male in the cement tubs. I will put up to two litters of weanlings into the cement tubs.

I don't like to crowd my animals at all.

On that note, Skittles, I would think about making the cement tubs FLUSH with the hardware cloth, or you chance the risk of chew outs.

I dont know if it was just the picture, or if it's open, but it looks like there is a pretty big gap for them to start gnawing on.

Thanks

Connie, thanks for noticing! It must just be the picture, as there's no room there at all (I double checked lol, thats just how paranoid I am).

Thanks

Haha! No problem, I was worried for you! I wouldnt want escapees running around either!

Thanks

i have never had any chew outs with cement mixing tubs and my gaps arent purfectly flush with the hardware cloth

Thanks

Rats Rats everywhere!
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com