Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,606

2 members and 2,604 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

back to riding soon..

I admit, that I have not ridden in a few years. Unless you call being ponied around a pasture, riding! lol.. Well, big problem is that our mares are herdbound. So one of our mares is going off for training this summer at a farm with actual facilities that we lack here; arenas, etc. So, it will be just me and my more docile mare for the summer.
    Mark my husband rides her with a halter and leadropes. She is pretty responsive and dependable. Now I plan on buying a dressage saddle with my Eco Stimulus check.. I like the feel of these saddles and this is what I learned from in the past. Cuesta was trained in a hackamore and is not that keen on bits, so I plan on buying a bosal and mecate reins also.
    Now what would you suggest for me to begin with? I was thinking, just some basic patterns at the walk and maybe trot, and then getting my friend out here to lunge me while I work on my seat, which I really don't know what to expect from. Last time I rode was western, in 2005, and I have not sat an english saddle in over 10 years! I do have a western saddle here but it is very old and I dislike its metal horn, which actually ribbed my friend in the ribs years ago when it was her saddle and her horse bucked!
    Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! I am more after not only what exercises will help me; I also want to get my mare (a pasture pet for now) back into the swing of riding gradually too.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: back to riding soon..

Is there anybody who could come out and give you a lesson each week? Then that person could help you with your plan and make sure everybody is nice and safe.

If not, I'd tack her up the first day and walk her around in hand practicing walk, halt, walk, halt, trot, walk, halt, etc. Then get up and lean over her like she knows nothing, put weight in the stirrup without climbing on just to be sure she is fine with getting abck to work. Then if she seems fine, get on, walk around a little, practice some walk halt and call that good for the first day.

After that, just concentrate on getting your seat back. Walk and do some serpentines, circles, transitions. Pay attention to your own position and do some stretches. I bet after a week of this you will have a good idea what you need to work on for both of you.

LUnge lessons are a great help if your horse will be good about that. That time is invaluable. You might want to try a wintec isabell for a dressage saddle. Pretty inexpensive and you can find them used on ebay PLUS the gullets can be changed out as your horse grows and muscles up so you dont have to mess around with buying another one in six months.
    Last edited by ZinniaZ; 06-05-2008 at 06:56 AM. Reason: had another idea!

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Thanks

thanks I do have a friend who would come out and watch over me the first few times. My husband does ride Cues periodically so she is not "that" fresh.. she is basically an old trail mare who, once she learns that you mean business, will obey well. She has a tendency to let her mind wander (nibble grass or otherwise wander off) and the biggest thing is making sure that she cannot do this. She's not a bolter; she is even fine with gunshots nearby, and the only time that she spooks really is when my other mare makes her I definately plan on buying a helmet before I ride.. and yes I do like the Wintec saddles!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

I would go w/ a bosal w/ mecate.. unless you are trying to teach the mare to neck rein. If she is a well trained normally going western type mare, she should know that.
    AND I would go with a side pull OR a bitless like thers
    Side pull http://www.codywesterntack.com/shop/...od&productId=9
    Bitless type http://www.joshnichol.com/sidepulls.htm
    One looks more english than the other one...
    the reason people use mecate is its prickly on the horses neck and helps teach a young horse to neck rein.
    If you go with a Wintec, get one with Cairs panels/ interchangeable gullet system.
    That way if you change horses, or with riding your horse looses weight.. you can change the system so it fits the horse better..
    Congrats, be safe, wear a helmet!! and have fun.
    Always end the session or ride on a good note.. if you are going well, but are a little tired. Stop and give the horse a pat and call it a day. That way you have confidence, aren't getting too tired or sore (LOL), and you and the horse are enjoying it.

Carol