Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,133

2 members and 3,131 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Little Turtle

Thanks

Little Turtle

I understand that the sale of turtles under 4 inches is illegal. At one point in time, small turtles lived in like a bowl and never got very much bigger than the 4 inch government banned size. Are these little turtles a certain species that has been forbidden in the "pet trade" or am I mistaken of the size they actually got?

Not much of a turtle person so any new knowledge you can share would be greatly appreciated.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Little Turtle

I don't think it was any certain species. I think because it was kept in a small enclosure, they never out-grew it. BTW, the government ban is BS. All reptile carry Salmonella in their intestines, and any reptile kept with unclean water will spread salmonella. It was only because the small turtles were targeting to children who either put the animals close to their mouths or didn't wash their hands properly. Now we all must suffer for their ignorance. Not the kids, but the parents and the dealers, circuses, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

The turtles were usually red ear sliders and actually they can get quite large if housed properly. I think females are like 12"-13" as adults. They lay several clutches yearly so they are easy to get as babies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    I understand that the sale of turtles under 4 inches is illegal. At one point in time, small turtles lived in like a bowl and never got very much bigger than the 4 inch government banned size. Are these little turtles a certain species that has been forbidden in the "pet trade" or am I mistaken of the size they actually got?

Not much of a turtle person so any new knowledge you can share would be greatly appreciated.
    All of those turtles either died or were let go. Without UVB or heat and just the bowl/lagoon, they would not grow and either their eyes would swell shut over time or/and they would get shell rot+ a lot of other problems and die. Lets just say I went through a very horrible time with one when I was around 12
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

I have a Stinkpot or Common Musk Turtle that will only get to about 4 inches. You can buy them in certain states as long as they are "For Research".
    Trey

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hmmm was just reading my State's laws. They state that all turtles are legal(they list 5 that are not). No size restrictions. I wonder if only the stores are prohibited from selling, but not the consumer from buying. I actually have been eyeing the Stinkpot Turtle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kjhowland View Post
    BTW, the government ban is BS. All reptile carry Salmonella in their intestines, and any reptile kept with unclean water will spread salmonella. It was only because the small turtles were targeting to children who either put the animals close to their mouths or didn't wash their hands properly. Now we all must suffer for their ignorance. Not the kids, but the parents and the dealers, circuses, etc.
    It didn't help that the majority of information out there suggested you needed to feed turtles raw meat. Most of the turtles I had as a kid got raw beef....
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

I love mud and musk turtles. Not the prettiest out there (in most people's opinions!) but they tend to be very hardy and stay a small size. Plus they start out so tiny and cute!!

Even with the 10 gallons to an inch rule, a stinker can live happily in a properly set up fifty gallon into adulthood, and as they tend to like shallower water, this is even better!

Love them so much, bred them once in my youth, and plan on getting more as soon as space allows more than the one cute little bugger I have now.