Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,972

5 members and 2,967 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: New here.

Conservative Springs, CO, but moving back home to Tucson, AZ soon.
    Thanks

Cool New here.

Hey all you snake lovers out there! My name is Leah. I got my ball python, Nathan Balls in October, (his last name refers only to his species, by the way) and I've done a fair amout of research. But research only tells me so much, I also want to hear thoughts and advice from people who have experience, hence the reason I joined this site.

From what I can tell, he was not even close to being a baby when I bought him at PetSmart (I know its not the place to buy healthy pets, but I felt so bad for him, because he was getting so big, and no one wanted him). He was already about 18 inches long. I'm not sure what his sex is yet, I dunno if I have the heart to have him probed. After all, HE knows what he is, and since I don't plan on breeding him anytime soon, and I'd call him Nathan regardless, I'm not sure it matters. I THINK he is a male, though.
    He is now probably over 3 feet long, and growing like a weed. He's is SUCH a healthy eater, almost never misses a meal!

He is also the most docile, laid back guy ever, and surprisingly cuddly for a snake, I think. And I'm his all time favorite person! I'm so lucky to have found him!

Anyways, I actually have a specific question, lol, about his rear opening. I don't know if I can say butt on here, but thats what it is. It was normal looking, but just recently I noticed at the edges, these "spur" looking things are poking out, one on each side. I searched online, but couldn't find much by way of explanation, and no pics at all that looked like what he looks like. I don't know if this is normal, or if I should be worried. So any of you here that may know what I'm talking about, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm off to find a more appropriate topic to post my concerns under.

Thank you all for your time and help.

Thanks

Re: New here.

I believe you might be referring to the actual spurs that every Ball Python has. A picture of what you are talking about will help greatly.

BTW! Welcome!!!
    "Love Your Snake Like You'd Love The Mice You Are Feeding It, Wait Never mind, Just Love Your Snake"

Thanks

its totally normal

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!!!!
    As for your question, this all sounds normal down at his south end (cloaca)
    Probing or popping a snake to sex it is not harmful or (apparently) hurtful to the snake; at least not so far as behaviorists have been able to determine. Ralph Davis has a great video on popping and Jasballs did a great one too. Check them out~ they'll probably 'pop' up when you do a search!!!
    BTW, we LOVE pictures

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Hi

I'm new here too so wait till someone else more knowledgeable replies for a definitive answer....but pretty sure that's normal, look up the term "spurs" or ::cough::cough:: "anal spurs" ::cough:: and I think you'll find something in reference to Seņor balls "issue".

Admins, not sure if we're allowed to reference other sites but...

Granted it's not the authoritative source but pretty sure this is what you are talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_spur

Anyway, hope that helps....and welcome
    ~ Shane

Thanks

Oh my, thank you SOO much! Thats exactly what they are! My only concern was that I'd never noticed them before, although I could have SWORN they just started showing recently. Any one wants to answer any other questions, that would be awesome. I've been reading posts for an hour on here, and have seen some confusing stuff.

I feed Nathan in a separate tank, because I was told if I didn't he'd get mean, and bite. A lot of people on here say it's unnecessary. Of course, I change tanks, but never move him back until 24-48 hrs after he eats, so I don't upset his tummy. But I would LOVE to get rid of the second tank If I could!

Also, if anyone could help me guess at his age? Petsmart said he was big for his age, and he was about 18-maybe 24 in. long when I bought him in October. He's got to be at least 3 1/2 feet long now, and thick. I'm just curious as to whether he's a youngin' or not so much. He does still shed every 6 weeks or so, almost like clockwork, but he also eats more like a little piggy, and less like a snake, lol.

And they REALLY prefer smaller tanks? I read somewhere that an adult ball python would require a 50-60 gallon tank, but thats not what I seem to be getting from here. Any advice?

Thanks

So, you ought to ask these questions in the husbandry part of the forum.
    But for short answers:
    No need to move them to feed them.
    My adult females love their 2x3 reptile cage from Reptile Basics (RBI).
    My juvie balls make it in their 32qt rack system from RBI and are waiting for their cages!
    Age could be better guessed if you provided a weight; length isn't a very good gauge.

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Talking Re: New here.

Thanks so much for your help, I guess from now on I'll be posting in the other section, lol. But thanks again.