Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

3 members and 2,895 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Sick Ball python results

Remember my thread on my rescue normal that got sick and died? Well, another rescue that came with her got sick and died shortly after she was droped. Here are the results:

We received the final biopsy report from Zoo/Exotic Pathology services regarding your
    snake Lucy. She was diagnosed with a combination of inflammatory diseases affecting
    the lung, brain, and liver. It is possible that all three of these organs are interrelated
    from a virus or bacteria.

No organisms (bacteria, fungi) were observed in the examined sections. Also, the
    characteristic inclusion bodies observed with Boid Inclusion Body Disease (IBD) were
    not observed. It is very unlikely that IBD is the cause of the snake's problems.

There are two diseases, Paramyxovirus and Chlamydiophila, which could have
    potentially caused the clinical signs and histopathology changes observed. Testing for
    these two diseases will require additional special stains and/or PCR DNA probes if you
    want to pursue them. Generally, the viral disease (Paramyxovirus) exhibits an inclusion
    body similar to that seen in IBD and these were not observed.

Unfortunately, no conclusions or definitive diagnosis has been obtained, but it appears
    that a process other than trauma caused her deterioration. Based on what we know so
    far, there would have been no other treatment (other than the prednisone) to correct the
    observed physical abnormalities. If you have additionakl questions, please return an
    email or call us at 770 424 5484 (830am-12noon, 130pm-530pm).

Thanks, Brad Wilson, DVM
    Gladly IBD is not the probable case. Dr.Del, I lied in chat, Bacteria was not the case. But I still think mites had a lot to do with it. Who knows how long they had the mites before I got them
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Sick Ball python results

Thanks for posting that. Fascinating reading. To me, it seems to give a good picture of just how much we DON'T know regarding these animals and the diseases they may be susceptible to. I'd be very interested in learning more about the two diseases mentioned there...and if either of them are potentially transferrable via mites...or otherwise contagious.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Hopefully your Lesser was no where near these animals.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Thanks for posting that. Fascinating reading. To me, it seems to give a good picture of just how much we DON'T know regarding these animals and the diseases they may be susceptible to. I'd be very interested in learning more about the two diseases mentioned there...and if either of them are potentially transferrable via mites...or otherwise contagious.
    I agree, its scary how sudden and unpredicting it was. Ive tryed looking up the diseases with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyToys View Post
    Hopefully your Lesser was no where near these animals.
    He wasnt, and is perfectly fine right now. Im almost positive it was because of all the trauma they went through before we got them/who they were housed with/ and most definitely mites. they were housed with a male as well, so it could be a STD?
    - Matt

Thanks

Well, it seems to be a good thing that this was not IBD. But I would still want to go further and get to the bottom of things. I am sorry about your losses.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Paramyxovirus

I'm not sure, but that sounds similar to the name of the disease that Jen Harrison (hope I have that name right) had wipe out her collection. Or at least it might have been what was responsible. Last I read I think she still did not have a definitive answer. Are you familiar with that story? Does it seem similar to what you saw?

Scary stuff no matter what. I'd definitely want to go with further testing to find out for sure what it was, especially if there was any chance your other animals were exposed.
    Casey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    Paramyxovirus

I'm not sure, but that sounds similar to the name of the disease that Jen Harrison (hope I have that name right) had wipe out her collection. Or at least it might have been what was responsible. Last I read I think she still did not have a definitive answer. Are you familiar with that story? Does it seem similar to what you saw?

Scary stuff no matter what. I'd definitely want to go with further testing to find out for sure what it was, especially if there was any chance your other animals were exposed.

I read the story and it does not match up to these. Both did not have any breathing/mouth problems.
    - Matt