Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,079

1 members and 3,078 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

On the "green-ness" of the Reptile Industry

Hey Everyone,

I've been thinking a lot about various products/industries and their impact on the environment.

What do you think are some aspects of the reptile industry that are detrimental to the environment and what ways could they be improved? What are some ways in which the reptile industry is good for the environment?

An example: growing your own rats could cut down on fuel used for shipping.

A more difficult example: Using printed newspaper substrate is a great way to get a second use out of a manufactured product. But, after being soiled by a reptile, it can no longer be recycled. Is this then a "green" practice?

What about the electricity used to heat/light reptiles??

Just thought I'd try and start a dialogue on this topic...

JonV

Thanks

Re: On the "green-ness" of the Reptile Industry

We use the computer print out paper...the type with the green and white 'lines'....we flip it over and its strong, white on the side used and extremely useful....normally it gets thrown away...

yeah, I think it's worth it....used to use aspen...not only did I have to pay for it, but I threw it away....it's like chopping a tree, crapping on it and tossing it.....

not saying it's BAD to use aspen, just not for me...

the snakes don't crinkle it up like newspaper so it lays nice, easy to change...and it's been used once before we use it.....

may not be ground breaking....but I use it as part of my "green"....

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Hmmmm... well, with the newspaper thing... Kind of in the middle.

If you recycle the news paper... well, it gets recycled.

If you just throw out the news paper it gets wasted, and takes up space in landfills.

If you use newspaper for your reptile, you are using it twice as much before trashing it... and you are also putting substances on it that would likely break it down faster... in other words, the reptilian waste would make it decompose back to dirt quicker...

If that isn't green enough, then why did you buy the news paper in the first place?

That said, I don't think there is a "greener" form of substrate then newspaper other then dirt, and that would just be a mess.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

I think in the small scheme of hobbies that reptile raising is NOT very green.

If you think about usage:
    More electricity - for heating (oil or gas)
    Racking - uses plastic (racks and tubs from oil) or wood (cut trees)
    Newspaper or Trees (aspen) for bedding
    Shipping is always overnight which means planes and drastically more fuel
    Higher water usage (drinking and cleaning)
    Feeder raising - significant waste by product (more wood that cannot be recycled or is toxic due to waste as it breaks down) (more trees too) - even if you buy FT someone has the waste (and now you add the potential for escaped CO2 into the atmosphere)

The more you own the bigger your impact.

it is an interesting topic and has me thinking about how to reduce. Besides reusing newspaper or computer paper what other ways can we as a group reduce our impact?
    Sean

Thanks

With the newspaper, I would use it on the reptiles and then compost it, depending on how much you go through. You probably can't compost it all, but every bit helps.

Could you possibly use rain water (using a clean rain barrel to collect) to water your reptiles and/or clean the enclosures? Maybe also use "green" cleaning products.

Raising your own rats would be a good idea. I am already trying to do that. It definitely saves me a long drive (1 hour total driving time).

Re-use plastic containers from your food (butter tubs, ect) for use as water bowls or hides. This will cut down on the use of plastic for hides sold in stores.

This may not be practical, but when decorating a display tank, use natural materials, like live non-toxic plants.

Also, you could re-use old tanks instead of buying brand new ones from the store.

There are probably a million ways to go green in the world of reptiles, but those are a few I could think of on the spot.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

I'm pretty happy to report we just installed solar panels to help with the electricity bills (esp. in the winter). Hopefully we will sell enough surplus back to the power company during the summer that it will cover the difference for the winter.

As to newspaper, we use the printed stuff that has already been perused, then after the snakes read it, about a third gets composted in our worm pile, and the rest gets tossed. We've debated trying 're usable' mats or no substrate, but neither have been tried yet. I guess for me, the newspaper that is tossed , although it can't be recycled, is at least highly biodegradable. It is not sitting in a landfill somewhere for 50 years. and the breakdown is fairly benign.

My .02

Cheers,
    Kat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    If that isn't green enough, then why did you buy the news paper in the first place?
    I get the newspaper free from around the university. I just used substrate as an example, I was hoping to spur a broader conversation as well.

JonV

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel View Post
    I think in the small scheme of hobbies that reptile raising is NOT very green.

If you think about usage:
    More electricity - for heating (oil or gas)
    Racking - uses plastic (racks and tubs from oil) or wood (cut trees)
    Newspaper or Trees (aspen) for bedding
    Shipping is always overnight which means planes and drastically more fuel
    Higher water usage (drinking and cleaning)
    Feeder raising - significant waste by product (more wood that cannot be recycled or is toxic due to waste as it breaks down) (more trees too) - even if you buy FT someone has the waste (and now you add the potential for escaped CO2 into the atmosphere)

The more you own the bigger your impact.

it is an interesting topic and has me thinking about how to reduce. Besides reusing newspaper or computer paper what other ways can we as a group reduce our impact?
    All excellent, excellent points. I think really the only way for us to be "green" is to own pretty much nothing, live in the woods and live off berries. Anything other than that, and we are negatively impacting the environment.

JonV

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by janeothejungle View Post
    I'm pretty happy to report we just installed solar panels to help with the electricity bills (esp. in the winter). Hopefully we will sell enough surplus back to the power company during the summer that it will cover the difference for the winter.
    Very cool on the solar panels! Did you put them on top of your house or do you have them in a field or such?

JonV

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nevohraalnavnoj View Post
    Very cool on the solar panels! Did you put them on top of your house or do you have them in a field or such?

JonV
    Luckily we just moved into a new building with a nice flat roof and no trees in the immediate area, so it was perfect for some panels. The summertime bakes here with clouds being a rarity, so hopefully it will finally be to our advantage!!

Cheers,
    kat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast