Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,233

2 members and 3,231 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: Do you separate you pregnant mice?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I keep my pregnant mice in with the others always with little problems

50 75.76%
  • No, I separate them ( why)

16 24.24%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Do you separate pregnant mice?

So, to start the forum off, i think id like to start a frequently asked question. Do you separate pregnant mice from the rest of the other mice?

Why do you do so or not?

I do not, and have had great results. I keep 6+ mice per tub and rotate my super stud male between my two tubs without any problems. They all have their babies withen a week or so and I have had hundreds of mice this way. ( no worries about me having one snake, I sell most of what Lesser does not eat off for a buck each.) I also touch my baby's after day three, and do not have any problems.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7p6ZAd2glp8
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Re: Do you separate pregnant mice?

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    So, to start the forum off, i think id like to start a frequently asked question. Do you separate pregnant mice from the rest of the other mice?
    Yes, but mainly because of our breeding style, and space limitations. We tend to let the girls get knocked up in a number of tubs that have about a 50/50 m/f ratio, and then move the visibly pregnant ones to a single tub once a week. This way they all drop their litters around the same time and cross-nurse, and that way we can have 10-15 litters all wean and get sexed at the same time.

The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever. -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Thanks

I do not, and have had great results. I keep 6+ mice per tub and rotate my super stud male between my two tubs without any problems.

After reading that again I thought it might be a little confusing, I mean I do not separate

Ctrl, So you have a bin full of mice and once you see pregnant mice you put them in a different tub with other pregos? Good idea if im not intercepting that wrong I think I might do that actually, my rack gets annoying and Ive wanted to put all my mice together.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

I keep mine in 1.5 groups and remove each prego to her own tub. For each male I have 10 females, 5 at time. Wean babies at 21 days and leave moms to rest until all 5 are togheter. When the 2nd group of 5 females with the male are in their own prego tub I add the first 5 females.

Thanks

I use trios of 1.2 and keep everyone together at all times with great results. I have had a few acts of cannibalism, but that was done by my older breeders who had worn out.

I will be switching to mostly rat breeding soon, tho, as I now have larger BPs and it's just easier to feed them one small rat rather than 3 large mice per feeding. I will be keeping one trio of mice, tho, for future hatchlings and picky eaters.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I keep my breeding groups together always. I start new groups together and when they get a little worn out I retire the whole group together. When I've tried to move new mice into an already established group I've had problems with them killing the newcomers. Not always, and frankly not even most of the time, but more often then I like to see. I just think it's disruptive to an established group.

I do like the idea though of having tubs of females with lots of males to produce pinkies. My main goal in breeding mice is to produce mainly weanling to adult sized mice for my colubrids and baby ball pythons, so when I wean the young mice I set them up separated by sex to grow for a few more weeks. It might be a good idea to throw a few males in a couple of the female grow out tubs and pull all the preggers when feeding day comes around.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Why do you do so or not?

I do not, and have had great results. I keep 6+ mice per tub and rotate my super stud male between my two tubs without any problems. They all have their babies withen a week or so and I have had hundreds of mice this way. ( no worries about me having one snake, I sell most of what Lesser does not eat off for a buck each.) I also touch my baby's after day three, and do not have any problems.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7p6ZAd2glp8
    I'm jealous. My female breeder is super bitey (she didn't used to be until she had babies) and the babies, when they grow to be.. hoppers they do just that. THEY DON'T STOP JUMPING.
    When I try to take one out I HAVE to hold its tail too, or it will fly away. D:

I try to keep only the main male, and two females (with their babies) in one cage, and the younger non-breeding feeders that were the babies of the originals in another cage.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I keep 2 females per tubs and rotate the male (he spends 2 weeks at the time in each of the 3 tubs he is assigned)

I can check on the babies soon as they are born without any issue.

I have been very successful this way, I have tried harem before but have failed each time.

Bottom line it all about finding what works and with mice it can take time and be tricky.
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

My mouse colony stays together all the time. Eliminates the risk of them fighting on reintroduction atleast.
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

I separate pregger moms when they are ready to drop. When I first started out, I had a 1.2 in 10 gallon and everybody/somebody nommed down all the babies when one of the moms dropped.

Last fall, I left .2 in a 20L stay together as they were gonna drop within days of each other. As one mom took over both litters, it took FOREVER for the babies to mature because they weren't getting the same quantity of food as they would have if there less babies per mom.

So, I always separate and have great results. I keep my buck in a shoebox size kritter keeper and when I'm ready for a girlie to be pregnant, I pop her in with him. When she looks preggers, I pull her out and into her own shoebox kritter keeper. When those babies are ready to wean, I divide and put the boys in my male grow out enclosure and the girls and moms in the girl enclosure. Rinse repeat.

Granted I don't have many snakes to feed on mice (a cornsnake and when she wants a mouse, a bp), but I've got a crapton of mice in the freezer ready to eat. =)
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast