Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,917

1 members and 2,916 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rack Systems..

Thanks

Rack Systems..

I have some questions about rack systems... I noticed that breeders only have one hide in the tubs. So from what I understand the hide is over the heat tape (or similar heating source.) So how does the snake thermoregulate. Is it because they are in a tub so it is all dark? I don't know, it's just a thought. And how do they regulate and moniter humidity? Do they just stick a humidifier in the room and keep the whole room up to par? Thanks, and by "they" I just mean anyone who has racks.

Please Help My Eggies!
    Click on them to help them grow.
    ~Cassie~

Thanks

Re: Rack Systems..

I don't use hides but a lot of the people that do use 2 hides - One on the cool side and one on the warm side...
    BT

Thanks

You don't use hides in your racks? I just noticed in all of Ralph Davis' Videos that he only has one hide.

Please Help My Eggies!
    ~Cassie~

Thanks

Closed-sided racks seem to be more secure feeling than glass tanks. For that reason, less than two hides may be needed. As long as your snake is eating and physically healthy, having less than two hides is fine. Sometimes extra shy snakes may still need one or two hides even in a rack system. To control the humidity you can experiment with different types of bedding, water bowl sizes and placement, misting frequency, and the amount of ventilation holes in the tub.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snickers1714 View Post
    You don't use hides in your racks? I just noticed in all of Ralph Davis' Videos that he only has one hide.
    Nope - Never have...Works for me but might not work for you...
    BT

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do not use hides for the most part in my racks.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

All of my racks have one hide them that the snakes use- and I have enclosed racks from RBI
    I also have one shy girl who is in a 16qt with 2 small hides and she uses them both!!
    The snakes with one hide are very adept at moving themselves abd the hide all over the tub!
    Just depends on the snake

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

I only use hides for the occasional picky eater/obviously stressed out snake. Most of the BPs in my rack dont need a hide. They all eat fine and dont seem stressed at all.

To monitor the humidity and temps, I have a "dummy tub" set up near the middle of the rack. It has everything identical to the tubs that have snakes in them except instead of a snake theres an accu-rite and my herpstat probe. The accu-rite is up against the front of the tub to give me the cool side temp and it's probe & the herpstat probe are in the back of the tub to show the warm end temp. The humidity is also shown on the accu-rite so I can just take a glance over at that tub and it will give me an idea of what the temps and humidity are like in all of the other tubs in my rack. You cant expect it to match up exactly with all of your tubs, but its pretty darn close To adjust the humidity you can modify the amount of holes in the tubs or even mist lightly if necessary. I havent had to mist mine because I waited till I had the rack running before just drilling out a bunch of holes in all of my tubs. If you drill too many you can cover them with tape though.

Hope that helps. I also hope it doesnt look like I was just rambling on and on and on...
    Check out www.killerpets.com and let me know what you think! Always looking for ways to improve the site

Thanks

All of my balls have one hide in the rack, except for one super shy ball who has 2. Some of my kings have hides, and some don't...they tend to hide under the paper anyway.

The snake is able to thermoregulate because only one side (on the bottom or the back) of the rack is heated. Closed rack systems tend to hold humidity very well. It's all about how many holes you put in the tubs.

With an open rack, many breeders will run space heaters and humidifers to help create the proper environment.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I just wasn't sure about all that stuff, but I get it now. Thanks again.

Please Help My Eggies!
    ~Cassie~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast