Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

2 members and 3,284 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: ASF Price gouging?

Hmmm thats funny I give mine away.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

I would probably give mine away too once I am established, but to start, I dont see charging the same as a mouse to be a bad thing. It helps cover my start-up costs of hardware cloth, tubs, food, etc.

Also, not sure what is meant by your location, but if it is MI, I would gladly pay you for your ASF's, especially if you are not charging 5 dollars a piece.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

And my point is that you are LUCKY to live down state near those breeders. I had to drive 3 hours south one way to get my trio. I paid more than 5$ for them, and I aint crying about it. I was thankful they were so cheap!

If you want to start breeding them, then more power to you. Good job for helping spread these animals, but my point is don't hate on people because they do charge $12 ea. It is very hard for many people to get ASF, so the price can be justified.

For real, rats are hard enough to come by as it is, much less some ASF.

And I only live 2 hours north of you. It's more of a city by city thing. You can't change the prices for ASF up here if you only charge a buck each down there.

For one, the cost in gas isn't worth it, nor the time it takes to get them.

As much as mcavana touts they dont eat very much, well they eat just as much as a small rat. They drink that much in water too from what I can tell. (Maybe I just have piggy ASF? LOL) Cost of housing, food and water all come into play when selling any feeder. As well with the availability and rarity.

So, I hope you understand how lucky you are. Not everyone lives next door to breeders.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    Hmmm thats funny I give mine away.
    I do too...Out of all my snakes I only have 1 BP and 1 JCP that are hooked on them...I give my excess to my buddy - Around 20 a month...
    BT

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThyTempest View Post
    I would probably give mine away too once I am established, but to start, I dont see charging the same as a mouse to be a bad thing. It helps cover my start-up costs of hardware cloth, tubs, food, etc.

Also, not sure what is meant by your location, but if it is MI, I would gladly pay you for your ASF's, especially if you are not charging 5 dollars a piece.
    M I crooked letter crooked letter I crooked letter crooked letter I hump back hump back I

Mississippi.. LOL
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BT41042 View Post
    I do too...Out of all my snakes I only have 1 BP and 1 JCP that are hooked on them...I give my excess to my buddy - Around 20 a month...
    BT
    I got them to get two of mine started back and now I got to rotate them in with mice just to keep from getting over run.

Thanks

Maybe I am being a douchebag about all of this, but I am not in any better location than you. You say you drive 3 hours south, I drive nearly three hours east. I may be lucky with the petstores, especially in Lansing, but even that is an hour north for me, at least until I go back to school in the fall.

Sorry if I offended anyone, it just seems like this topic never comes up, but apparently it is more of a hot button issue than I expected.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Maybe I am being a douchebag about all of this, but I am not in any better location than you. You say you drive 3 hours south, I drive nearly three hours east. I may be lucky with the petstores, especially in Lansing, but even that is an hour north for me, at least until I go back to school in the fall.

Sorry if I offended anyone, it just seems like this topic never comes up, but apparently it is more of a hot button issue than I expected.
    I agree that it may be an inconvenience for you to get your starting group but the bright side is that its a one time inconvenience and not a trip you have to make every week.

Thanks

LOL, I just don't want to see hatin going on towards people that do charge $5 each for an ASF.

For me personally, that's why I breed my own feeders. It's not cost effective at all to buy from down state.

Either pay $5 each to feed 15 snakes from the petstore ($75 wk!) or drive down state every month to buy bulk FT ($60 + $30 gas). Especially considering the feeder rats down state or at petshops are usually not very good quality.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think anyone is offended...nor is it all that "hot" of an issue....just that most folks aren't quite seeing it from your point of view is all. Nothing wrong with that, from either side. And I don't see anything wrong with you raising your own ASF's and charging whatever you want for them. More power to ya!
    -- Judy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast