Since I decided to buy a trio of ASF's, I have been thinking more and more about why they cost 5 bucks a piece. When they are sold, they are only the size of a large mouse, which at a show, which is where the ASF's would be from, are no more than 75 cents. In addition to this, the ASF's dont cost nearly as much to keep and cause a lot less hassle in the breeding process. I say this because they eat half as much, drink a third as much, are extremely prolific and actually have protective fathers, and they dont smell. As far as I can tell, there is really not much work to an ASF colony, other than moving around tons of weanlings as they are reproducing so much. So why is it that a lets say 25 g ASF is 5 dollars, whereas a 25 g adult mouse is 50-75 cents. It makes no sense to me, they should be the same price, if not cheaper. I can understand a markup because of the lack of smell really being a selling point, but at what point does that become gouging? I think 5 dollars a piece is gouging, especially when they are not at all suitable to be breeder/feeders and pets.

Just my 2 cents. Let me know what you all think.