Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,515

2 members and 1,513 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Breeding Differences

Hi there~
    So, Jas posted on another thread that he had some '07 girls who were up to weight and maybe would be breeding next season. Whether or not he was pulling my leg is irrelevant. What is relevant is that he got me thinking. I have 2 '07 girls who are already 1100g and going strong. By next breeding season they will absolutely have the weight on but will only have 2 winters under their belt (um, so to speak!)
    Both of the girls were born early summer at NERD. I have spoken with Kara about this question and she has her ways and Kev has his ways and also each snake is different.
    And so my question: If each snake is different, how can you tell if one is ready to breed who is up past minimum weight but not yet at three winters?

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Re: Breeding Differences

Quote Originally Posted by starmom View Post
    And so my question: If each snake is different, how can you tell if one is ready to breed who is up past minimum weight but not yet at three winters?
    Each snake is different.....and minimum weight is also more personal preference in my opinion, I think 1200 or better is a good mark, others say 1500, SOME lol have bred under 1000 gram females with success. But you have to know your animals. I haven't bred yet, but from talking to other people I have always heard that is you have an awesome feeders who gets close to size them suddenly goes off food, that is her bodies way of getting ready for breeding, so again use personally preference to see if he weight is adequate for her length, and has plenty of fat reserves so that egg laying doesn't take too much of a toll on her. Just my two cents.
    Custom reptile and amphibian enclosures! As well as other custom wood working.

Thanks

The only way to find out if she's ready is to breed her...If she's ready - She's give you eggs - If she's not you won't get anything...I've bred plently of 18 month females - Some go and some don't...I bred two 18 month girls this year and both are gravid...Last year I bred 5 or 6 and 1 gave me eggs...IMO - Age is more important than size but I'll be breeding 18 month females again this year...
    BT

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

At least for me, personally - I won't breed under 1500 grams - at least for now and until I get to know my animals even better.

After seeing just how much weight is lost after laying eggs, I'm not personally comfortable breeding much less than that. You hear how thin the girls are afterwards, but I don't think anything really prepares you for the sunken in stomach and the extremely thin posterior until you see it in person.

I have nothing but mad respect for those who do breed lighter/younger successfully, as they have the experience necessary to make that decision.

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is something you have to gauge with the particular animal. If they eat constantly, seem to have a good weight on them, and are looking great before breeding, do it.

You know better than anyone else (other than the snake) if she is healthy and has the resources to pull off such a amazing feat of procreation.

The last clutch I just got was from a female that was 18 months.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

I wasnt pulling anyones leg.. And I said they are breeding this season! I have gotten eggs from 11 month old 1250 g females. And they are on there 3rd year straight giving me eggs. And weigh close to 3000g. If your not sure about doing it. DONT! I am...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JASBALLS View Post
    I wasnt pulling anyones leg.. And I said they are breeding this season! I have gotten eggs from 11 month old 1250 g females. And they are on there 3rd year straight giving me eggs. And weigh close to 3000g. If your not sure about doing it. DONT! I am...
    Thats why we respect you John, you know your animals, and do it with great success!! No one can argue with that.
    Custom reptile and amphibian enclosures! As well as other custom wood working.

Thanks

I should have tried the Jas method this past winter.
    1100 gram female spider that never misses a meal had follicles. Never put a male in.
    I regret not giving it a try.

Thanks

Okay, I'll keep watching these girls. My '06 spider will be ready to rock and roll for sure. The '07's are steady and consistent chow hounds and look really good! I'll see what there weight is at the end of the summer and talk to them
    Thanks everyone!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

this season i bred a female pastel at one year old and 1100g. i tried because she was a wicked eater and she put on some serious weight on a weekly feeding schedule. i got 6 eggs from her this morning and she is my first bp ever to lay for me. her clutch weighed 425g and her weight is 925g without eggs in her. i wouldnt have tried her if i thought she couldnt do it and from what i have been told they wont produce eggs if their not ready.

i thought she was ready because she is a very agressive feeder and puts on weight really quickly and seems like a very hearty girl.

plus Jas told me to do it!

P.S. ill post pics of her and the clutch soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast