Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,890

2 members and 2,888 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Eating mouse tail first?

Bix ate a mouse tail first a few weeks ago and got it down really easily, but literally a few minutes ago I tried to feed him and the dummy got his mouth around just one leg and the butt and started to do the wiggle - left the other leg and the tail sticking way out, up by his head. Took him ten minutes to realize it was a no-go, then he tried to eat it from the middle. I had a heart attack the entire time thinking he was going to choke himself to death. After awhile he gave up though. Had to leave for work so I took the mangled mouse out - with him being so dim today I didn't want to risk it. He's a garbage disposal but he'll just have to wait. I totally understand the concern, it's really nerve wracking to see your BP doing something different for the first time. He's not the brightest crayon in the box so I think most BPs wiill throw in the towel if it's clearly not going to go down safely. I don't think you have anything to worry about

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    This thread is from 2008....

Thanks

It was the first link that popped up on Google; I try to be thorough when I'm unsure about an episode so I can take care of Bix the right way. Didn't notice, thought my anecdote was relevant enough. I don't look at the dates, it's just an easy mistake. Seems like it's clear to you that I'm new, so I think it's okay for me to navigate and figure it out along the way, like everyone else when they start something new. Bambi legs always get you somewhere, right? sorry if my wobble bothers you. Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by Maggie Louise; 03-24-2017 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It happens. I have some snakes that do it at times.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Have you ever heard of a BP choking or causing serious damage to themselves because they tried to eat backwards? I haven't, but with the way Bix was going at that thing in such a weird manner...I basically didn't breathe til he put the mouse down so I could take it out of the tank.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Louise View Post
    Have you ever heard of a BP choking or causing serious damage to themselves because they tried to eat backwards? I haven't, but with the way Bix was going at that thing in such a weird manner...I basically didn't breathe til he put the mouse down so I could take it out of the tank.
    no. either way - head first or bottom first - it's gonna be a mouthful. it seems that they struggle more swallowing the bottom first as it's the larger end and the tail and legs go against the grain.

anyway i've had plenty of BP's eat their prey the "wrong" way. my girl Elphie ate a mouse side ways when she was a bb and my Emerald took one of her prey backwards just last week lol.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I have one named dumb dumb that always eats backwards. I beginning to believe he likes the taste from that end better.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-18-2019),Lizardlicks (03-28-2017),Timelugia (03-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    What can get really interesting is watching a snake try to navigate the limbs on prey with fully set rigor mortis. Not a bad idea if you want to offer some easy to provide feeding enrichment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Louise View Post
    There is one definite disadvantage to eating it backward. My ball proved this last week when she tried to eat a mouse backward and somehow managed to squeeze its bladder. She spilled pee over the substrate and I assume in her mouth. She was not happy to say the least.
    I don't know if that's the only downside, but snakes do seem to favor head first, so I imagine there are evolutionary advantages.

Thanks
    Some seem to not care, mine won't even try. He constricts all of his food for 3-ish minutes even though he's on f/t and sometimes he'll unwrap, forget where the head is, stare at the butt for a couple minutes and decide "no, that smells like crap", and then frantically look for the head. One time he was completely perplexed and practically breaded the mouse with the eco-earth so I tossed that one, thawed another, and stuck it on a paper plate for him and he took that without issue. I actually ditched the substrate and switched to paper towels because of that.
    Sneks:
    1.0 '16 Lemon Blast BP(Kevin)
    Fuzz things:
    1.0 '17 Heckin' Borker (Mr. Pickles)
    1.0 '15 Cinnamon Stinky Slinky(Obi)
    0.1 '15 Sable Carpet Shark(Yoda)
    0.1 '16 Sable Noodle bear(Chewy)
    Hominids:
    1.0 '13 Voracious Talking Apelike thing(Connor)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast