Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,827

4 members and 3,823 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Photography at a standpoint

Since I've been getting asked quite a few questions lately about camera selection, and what equipment is needed, I figured I'd throw together a little something that members can use for reference when selecting a camera...I mainly shoot with Canon now, rather than Nikon, so majority of my recommendations will be with Canon. Hopefully this helps

To begin; the Digital Single-Lens Reflex Camera (D-SLR). D-SLR's are a prime choice for photographers as they allow you much better control of your images, focus areas, depth of field, contrast, lighting, and other variables. Don't let "Beginner" labels for D-SLR's fool you into thinking they're only for beginners. They differ from prosumer grade camera's in that they have different functions, and modes, where-as prosumers are mainly manual and have the latest and greatest for their time in sensor hardware, etc, which allows for better creativity for advanced photographers. Beginner D-SLR's allow for the same in manual mode, however, they also have pre-set modes such as Complete Automatic, Portrait, Macro, Landscape, Action, etc, where the camera automatically sets the camera for shutter speed, flash, aperature, and other variables. They all have interchangeable lenses, hotshoes for flashes and radar, extensions for battery grips, etc. You can control beginner D-SLR's in manual mode, jsut as you would a prosumer grade camera as well.

Don't be fooled into Nikon, Canon, Sigma, Sony, etc being better than the other. Generally, they all will do the same thing. It matters most on which your most comfortable with holding, and using (including settings). If the camera feels awkward, and is difficult for you to control, the lower grade your pictures will be, and the less enjoyment you'll get out of it. Go to a camera store, and try out their displays...see which you like best. They all have their pro's, and con's; even Canon and Nikon.

Review camera spec's. See which has what your looking for, and what you need. You can use www.dpreview.com to compare and contrast, cameras, side by side. It's a useful tool when shopping around, before making your choice.

Personally, I'd recommend buying the camera body without the kit lens; and buying better lenses separate to start with. All the kit lens is, is a cheap "bundle" lens that comes with the camera body, so you can start out. It'll teach you the ropes with lenses, although there are better choices in lenses. The quality of your exposures are determines by both your skill, and the quality of the glass your shooting with.

A good product I've recently purchased is Camera Armor - www.cameraarmor.us ... It protects your camera from wear and tear during use. So far, I've been incredibly satisfied. Be smart; protect your investment

Now onto choosing your lenses. Don't just look at brand name lenses made from the specific camera company/name of your camera, such as Nikkor, or Canon lenses. Sigma, and Tamron make excellent lenses, that compete highly with Canon and Nikon in quality. If I were to recommend a beginning lens...Since I shoot with Canon, I would hands down, recommend the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II. Its a great lens, with high quality glass. You can pick one of these lenses up for around $80-110 average. Pay attention to the aperature rating - f/stop on the camera. This is the speed and light allowance of the lens, which translates into quality. The higher the rating, the better the lens. 0.0-2.8/3.0 are high to fair rated lenses. The lower the number, the higher the aperature rating. 1.8 is incredibly fast.

Fixed lenses give you impeccable, crystal clear shots (again depending on quality of the lens). There is less glass moving around inside, and majority have a floating system. Their focus is internal as well, which is a definite plus for animal photography. It will prevent shadows in your images caused by the lens, since the lens doesn't move at all, externally, to focus; as well as prevent you from spooking your subject. Another positive, when photographing neonate reptiles, and invertebrates.

To get into macro photography, a high quality macro lens is an essential. Be wise on the quality of your product. Sigma's macro lenses are very impressive, in my opinion; as are Canons. A few Macro's I would definitely recommend are these-

Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
    Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
    Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro

Flashes are the next step...
    External flashes such as speedlites, are a good way to go towards nature photography, and out door shooting. With this, you are able to bounce a flash (depending upon make and model of flash) from a different object, rather than right onto the subject (which is what the built in flash will do). This will prevent you from washing out, or over exposing the image. Essentially it could make or break the image when doing flash photography. They do come at a price.. Most are around $80-400, again depending upon functionability, quality, model, etc. I use (or used till it went swimming ) the Canon 430EX speedlite. I loved how it functioned, and the quality I achieved with it. Use what's most comfortable for you.

To get into studio photography; flash units are great! Two brands I would highly recommend are AlienBee's - www.alienbees.com ; And White-Lightning's - www.white-lightning.com. Majority of the Paul C. Buff products are highly viewed upon, and very impressive. Both Alienbees, and White-lightning offer good packages. For AlienBee's, I'd recommend the Digi-pack. They're what I use now...and they're definitely going to get a work out at Neil Golli's place, and Brian B's place this fall ..

If you want to look into remote controls to fire off the flashes, rather than your speedlite; they are something to consider. Most D-SLR's will fire off a strobe to help focus the lens better, which will fire off the flashes prematurely since they use a radar system. When using the remote controls (one slides onto your camera's hotshoe), it turns off this function, and your shutter button controls when exactly the flashes go off Very nifty, and useful!

Background selection is another important variable when considering studio photography. For good, clean white backgrounds - I recommend Savage seamless Superwhite paper. It reflects a lot of the lighting, without much glare, giving you a nice white background while retaining quality. It doesn't reflect too much either, washing out the sides of the animal such as a snake. I see this problem often, when people are trying to obtain a nice clean, white background.

For a nice, jet black, or professional looking background; my highest recommendation would be a Black Velour back drape. You can find them at most photography/camera supply stores. Depending on how well you know how to use your camera, they will give you a nice jet black look; or a nice jet black look with waves and washes of royal blue in them. Another good thing for portrait and studio photography

When it all boils down to it though, use what works best, and what feels most comfortable for you. Don't get too caught up in the technological deal. Thats one problem with most starting out into photography. They just get way too caught up in things they think they need, and drop hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on equipment. Not many will start out taking impressive pictures. It takes an eye for angles, an artistic ideal, and a lot of practice - remember, practice makes perfect!

Below are some links I've included for help with choosing supplies. Again, I hope this helped!
    -Andrew

www.ebay.com - Yeah, I know...ebay. But you can find camera's at a cheaper price there from reputable dealers, brand new, than you would from most other online dealers and stores.

www.dpreview.com - Review your camera's before dropping your hard earned cash

www.alienbees.com - Impressive flash units, for an excellent price! Some of the best!

www.white-lightning.com - Just as impressive as AlienBees. Paul C. Buff stuff rocks!

www.bhphotovideo.com - Probably one of the most renowned, and best dealers around. You cannot go wrong with buying from B & H! Period!

www.wolfcamera.com - Their shipping, and quality was ok. I was pleased with buying from them before.

www.amazon.com - you'll find some good deals here, for new photo equipment. B & H even has nice deals posted here from time to time.
    Last edited by CeraDigital; 05-05-2008 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks

Re: Photography at a standpoint

Fantastic post Andrew! Sticky worthy if I do say so myself!

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks I tried

Thanks

Sticky this

Thanks

Very nicely put! I'm a Canon shooter as well and you've really hit the nail on the head! For Nikon and other shooters, there's almost the exact same equivalent for any body.

I can't wait to get into macro photography, but I'm saving up and hopefully getting a 400mm prime for birding this month and a 430ex II.

Thanks

Excellent post Andrew! Thanks a ton!! Sticky

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Awesome post! This will definitely be a big help when I look into getting a much better camera a little later down the road!! Thanks for taking the time to post this!!
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Thanks

+1 for B&H Photo. It is the only place I buy camera supplies from.

And +1 for Alien Bee's, aside from my 4 Canon Speedlites I use 3 Alien Bee studio lights as well.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panthercz View Post
    +1 for B&H Photo. It is the only place I buy camera supplies from.

And +1 for Alien Bee's, aside from my 4 Canon Speedlites I use 3 Alien Bee studio lights as well.
    Very cool! I've looked at some of your photography as well. Pretty impressive

Thanks

Ight so the real question... Which camera do you suggest??
    snakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast