Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,951

1 members and 1,950 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Absolutes in Reptile Care

I thought this would be a great discussion for an 'advanced' forum.

I am not a believer in absolutes when reptile care is concerned. Each situation is different, each keeper is different, and each reptile is different. How can there be absolutes with so many differences?

To me, many fixed ideas concerning reptile care originate from how information is given to beginning keepers.

The same recommendations are made to beginning keepers in order to keep things simple. The last thing you want to do is confuse a beginner with advanced concepts right off the bat. So we say things in absolutes....

1. Do not house snakes together unless they are breeding
    2. Do not house different species together
    3. Tubs are best for snakes
    4. Do not breed young animals
    5. Fast growth is good
    6. Feed snakes weekly
    7. Feeding f/t has less risk than feeding live
    8. CBB is better than CH

Just to name a few...

...and I could go on and on about these comments that are sometimes spoken(typed) as if they are strict rules to follow.

While those statements were initially give as just general guidelines to beginning keepers.......they somehow became engrained as fact and instead of being repeated as a guideline....The statements are repeated as fact or absolute by some people.

Do not house snakes together unless they are breeding. Very general statement. So many variables.....what size is the enclosure, what type of environment is going to be provided, what is the age, sex, size, and health of the snakes, what kind of experience does the keeper have, how many basking areas, how will the snakes be fed, what will they be fed, etc.

Everything is in the details.....nothing is absolute, so why speak as if the statement is written in stone? It goes beyond just snakes....it happens with tons of other reptiles.

Do not keep bearded dragons on sand. Very general statement. So many variables....what is the grain size of the sand, is it manufactured or natural, what are the shape of the grains, is it 100% sand or is it a sandy loam, is the bearded well hydrated, moisture content of the soil, etc.

Everything is in the details.

The number of fixed ideas concerning reptiles seems to be growing constantly. My opinion is this lack of exploration (i.e. developing new ideas instead of using the guidelines already there) has to do with a blind focus on morphs and breeding....and lack of any attention to natural history and natural environments.

How many keepers have seen a picture of a bumblebee ball python, but have never seen a picture of a ball python's native environment?

How many keepers preach about keeping animals seperate, but have never seen reptiles of different species sitting right next to each other in the wild?

How many people say to keep beardies off sand, but have never read books describing bearded dragon burrows in the red sandy loam of Australia?

How many people say to keep an enclosure at two set temperatures and one constant humidity, but have never seen a basking snake on a dry, hot day retreat under a rotten log to feel the cool, dampness beneath once the temperatures get too warm?

There is so much to learn about reptiles. No absolutes.

I just wanted to have a little rant to tell everyone....

Do not limit yourself. Do not settle for something that works well, find something that works better. Make it a point to learn something everyday....and try to avoid speaking absolutes when discussing reptiles.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Absolutes in Reptile Care

Absolutes:

Feed your animal
    Give water to your animal
    Don't try and kill your animal
    Protect your animal

There are some out there
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Registered User Windridge Kennels's Avatar
    Thanks

Great post- and it applies to dogs, cats, snakes, birds, lizards, and parenting... and just about everything in life IMO
    Jenna in Florida

Eight Ball Pythons Kamala (100% het pied), Lou (het albino) and the normals: Boxcar, Jake, Gorgeous George, Heenan, Beulah & Ivory

The Labrador Retriever Crew + two Whippets & a Golden Retriever

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    Absolutes:

Feed your animal
    Give water to your animal
    Don't try and kill your animal
    Protect your animal

There are some out there
    But it is all in the details....

Feed your animal what, feed it how, feed it when, feed it where?

The basic needs to maintain life are absolute........the ways in which those needs are met are not
    -Daniel Hill

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am not a believer in absolutes either, however the fact is most beginners how overwhelmed by very simple things and some barely grasp the concept of proper husbandry.

I think the responsibility of more experienced keepers is to provide safe guidance to beginners until they understand the basics, have more experience and gain the confidence to experiment things on their own and see what work for THEM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I think the responsibility of more experienced keepers is to provide safe guidance to beginners until they understand the basics, have more experience and gain the confidence to experiment things on their own and see what work for THEM.
    Agreed. What I disagree with is the way things are stated.

"Never house snakes together" and "I recommend that you keep the snakes seperate until you get more experience" are two completely different comments.

When absolutes like 'never' or 'always' are thrown into the statement. It creates a false fact in the mind of the person receiving the advice.
    -Daniel Hill

Thanks

I find it difficult as it is to recommend certain things to new keepers, like the 1 snake 1 cage rule.

While I think the wording is NOT unimportant, I think the urgency of such ground notions on husbandry do need to be communicated effectively.

While they questions us "Why cant I keep my 2 snakes together?", we usually always give a long list of reasons. Afterwards they say, "I'm going to keep them together, I don't have the space"
    Is this really what an experienced keeper is thinking about? That they do not have the space to keep both animals separate, so this is reason enough to keep them together?

I hope it's not. I would hope the well intentioned experienced keeper is well aware of the risks and has taken all the means necessary to minimize those risks. Something the newbie keeper may be completely unaware of, or may not know how to accomplish.

I guess summed up, most NEW keepers don't have the experience necessary, and by giving them a plethora of options, they are going to take what appears to be the easy way out. Often to the harm of the reptile, simply because they do not understand what they are doing on each level.

The decisions are based on many things, but sometimes the care for new species seems daunting, and many are just looking to keep things simple. Which most people here for any amount of time know that the majority of people here have had there snakes for a few weeks or months.

LOL, sorry if that made no sense. I have trouble getting my points across sometimes.
    Last edited by littleindiangirl; 04-29-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: forgot an important word

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983 View Post
    Agreed. What I disagree with is the way things are stated.

"Never house snakes together" and "I recommend that you keep the snakes seperate until you get more experience" are two completely different comments.

When absolutes like 'never' or 'always' are thrown into the statement. It creates a false fact in the mind of the person receiving the advice.
    I guess I rather use strong words to dissuade new owners, rather than let them think it is ok to do so before they are ready and experienced enough.

You know that if you let them think it is OK they will want to do it right now without waiting to have the experience.

We use NEVER and ALWAYS in this language all the time in various circumstances, it does not mean we mean it as an absolute.
    Deborah Stewart

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

But it is all in the details....

Feed your animal what, feed it how, feed it when, feed it where?

The basic needs to maintain life are absolute........the ways in which those needs are met are not

Sure. But I am not talking about the details Bare Bones basics. Absolutely.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

3. Tubs are best for snakes.
    *grumble*

I hate that this is a "for granted" absolute...I hate having to stamp on my "glass soap box" on this website so often to fight for the right to safely and correctly house my PET snakes in glass...

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    Sure. But I am not talking about the details Bare Bones basics. Absolutely.
    But then Heather just cracks me up!
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast