Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,013

2 members and 3,011 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: which boaphile?

Thanks

which boaphile?

For anyone using boaphiles, I'm just wondering if you use the 421D or the 422D? Is the extra 6 inches of height really worth the extra $170 dollars? My female just reached 4 1/2 feet, so I'm starting to look for her adult cage.
    Also, is a 4x2 cage large enough for a 6-7 foot boa? I'm picking up an adult male salmon next week and need to get him a larger enclosure as well, so I'd like to get a couple of boaphiles and stack them.
    1.0 pastel bp, 0.1 aby, 0.1 normal, 1.0 DH coral sunglow, 0.1 coral albino, 1.1 het leopards, 1.1 pos het albinos, 0.2 75% suri het albino, 1.0 DH snow

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: which boaphile?

I have them both and whether it's worth it or not depends on what you are trying to do with them.

If you want to give your boa an opportunity to climb in the enclosure then it's worth it. It's also easier to work in the enclosure with the extra height.

However, the extra height means much more space to heat and humidify - I work 3x as hard at keeping the tall cage at the target levels than the short one. In fact, I found that the tall cage would not heat up enough with just belly heat due to the large space.

As for adequate size for a 7 footer, I can't answer that but hopefully someone here will know
    Augie 1.0.0 Lemon Pastel BP
    Rio 1.0.0 South Brazilian BCA
    Blaze 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks

4x2 is a minimum for an 8 footer.

Basically 1 square foot for every foot of snake

Bigger never hurts..
    www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
    myspace.com/aztekvamp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishmommy View Post
    I have them both and whether it's worth it or not depends on what you are trying to do with them.

If you want to give your boa an opportunity to climb in the enclosure then it's worth it. It's also easier to work in the enclosure with the extra height.

However, the extra height means much more space to heat and humidify - I work 3x as hard at keeping the tall cage at the target levels than the short one. In fact, I found that the tall cage would not heat up enough with just belly heat due to the large space.

As for adequate size for a 7 footer, I can't answer that but hopefully someone here will know
    I agree completely...I have both as well....I house an adult redtail in the taller one....there is enough room for climbing and plenty of room for the snake.

I don't have a problem with humidity...I'm pretty anal on misting though....This is our first boa into the rescue, so I make extra sure everything is perfect for her recovery....

the shorter boaphile however is EASIER as far as temps and humidity....not much climbing room but easier maintained...

I suppose it's all about what you want to offer your snake....I chose the taller of the two since she has a climbing limb that she loves to perch on....

hope this helps