Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,798

2 members and 2,796 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kittens

Thanks

Kittens

My aunts partner found 5 kittens laying out in the middle of an alley all alone last night, she took them to the vet and they said that they would put them down if no one would care for them so my aunt is taking on the responsibility. The kittens must have just been born because their eyes were closed and their cords were still attached. There are dogs that are known to get out in that alley and there is broken glass everywhere so the kittens were taken for their safety because the mother was no where around and it was cold out.

The vet gave my aunt some formula, bottles, and information so that she can take care of the kittens, and I have sent her many links with information on feeding and creating a nest for the babies. I know how to raise orphaned sugar gliders, and everything I've read so far about raising orphaned kittens sounds exactly the same so I'm pretty confident about helping out.

My aunt only works 4 times a week, but will need my help occasionally to feed and look after the kittens when her and her partner are not home (which works well because I go to school for 2 hours 3 days a week which leaves me with all the time in the world to watch after the kittens). Today is the first day I will be looking after them, I'm going to pick them up around 12:30. I've done a lot of reading and have the general idea of how to empty the bladder, feed, and burp the kittens. I also have read up on the warning signs and there is an emergency vet less than a mile away from my house so if anything does go wrong I have a close vet to go to for help.

Has anyone else had to do this before? Any tips?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Kittens

YEARS ago, I raised two kittens from birth, and I think I remember having to feed them every 2 to 3 hours around the clock. I also remembering not enjoying the overnight feedings!

Thanks

I've never taken in kittens that young, just a few already weaned strays that were out and about wandering, so I'm sorry that I can't be of help to you.

Just wanted to say kudos to you and your aunt for taking them in and for giving the time and effort into raising them up instead of putting them down. Keep us posted in their progress, and post some pics if you can. I would love to see the little cuties!! Good luck with them!!
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Thanks

I'll take a picture later tonight, turns out there are 4.. not 5.

There is a tuxedo (which hopefully I will be taking when I move out in October), an all black one, a gray tabby, and a orange/black/white one. Its always crazy how one litter of cats look so different.

It is a lot of work so far! I just did their first feeding and they didn't eat much, which is probably my fault because I don't have the technique down yet, so I will try again in 2 hours. They all went to the bathroom for me though! That was exciting, so I'm not too worried about that., I just need to get feeding down and I'll be good.

Thanks

Pictures!! And an update!

We've had the kittens for 5-6 days now, and they are doing A LOT better than the first day I saw them. I've watched them 3 times now, and each time they appear to be getting stronger and more aggressive during their feedings, which makes it a lot easier for me to feed them. They are now using the bottle instead of the oral syringe which is also good!

Heres the pictures! The little black & white tuxedo is going to be my cat if all goes well, I won't be able to take him until October when I move out but I really hope it works out!

I can't wait for their eyes to open!

Thanks

Awwwwwwwww! Wow, what a great group of people you are. It's nice to see people rescue animals when they are pretty much defenseless and bringing them back up to a good healthy state. Hope everything works out keep us updated. I'll make sure my little black cat Bambina reads this too...lol.

BTW! I wish you lived near here, I would take dibs on the semi-calico...lol.
    "Love Your Snake Like You'd Love The Mice You Are Feeding It, Wait Never mind, Just Love Your Snake"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr86mister View Post
    Awwwwwwwww! Wow, what a great group of people you are. It's nice to see people rescue animals when they are pretty much defenseless and bringing them back up to a good healthy state. Hope everything works out keep us updated. I'll make sure my little black cat Bambina reads this too...lol.

BTW! I wish you lived near here, I would take dibs on the semi-calico...lol.
    I love doing it! I'm going to college for the vet tech program they offer so I can do this kind of stuff all the time, cats are by far my favorite things in the world!

The little calico is really cute, she looks a lot like my cat Tiffany (which is the calico in my sig pic), she would be my second choice in cat but the little tuxedo reminds me of my baby Oslo so I had to have him.

Thanks

Major cuteness!! KUDOS to you and your Aunt!!

Thanks

Awww how cute! Wish we lived closer. We've been considering getting a pair of kittens and that little cali cat would be mine if you weren't so far away. What a cutie! Best wishes with them and eventually finding them good forever homes.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Awww!!! They are too adorable for words!!! I too am a sucker for little calicos, and like everyone else has said, if you were closer to me as well I would definitely offer her a home!!

How is the feeding and everything going?? Again kudos to you and your aunt for taking them in!!
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast