Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,666

1 members and 1,665 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Should I get a Rack?

I went to the Michigan show today and saw some great looking snakes! Unfortunately/fortunately, depending how you look at it, I didn't end up getting anything. I want to get only one more.

Should I go ahead and get a rack? My bp is currently in a tank and doing fine. I wouldn't feel comfortable moving him to a tub without the insulation of rack.

I'm not really handy and since I don't have my own tools, I would be better off buying one instead of making one.

Thanks

Re: Should I get a Rack?

How big is the one you have and how big of one you want to get?
    I don't know how other people feel about this, but there's quite a large selection of sterilite drawers/drawer sets on top of the tubs most people use, and are also still super cheap. (though you might want to put some kind of lock on it!)

So how do you guys with experience feel about one of those drawers? To me it seems like it would work as long as the enclosure is big enough for the snake it's housing. And it should be a good, cheap, short-term rack alternative until you've got enough snake (intentional) to warrant a rack.
    1.0 Spouse Stephen
    0.1 Normal BP Ulitakiwa aka Uli

Thanks

I have looke at those drawers/drawer sets and there isn't any good way to heat them. They are pretty flimsy and there isn't any good place to put some heat tape. I have some in my closet with some clothes in them and the sides bend a little because of the weight.

I don't know my snake's weight because I don't have a scale. He is about 30 inches long and has nice thickness about him.

Thanks

From the sound of your post you only have one snake???? IMO racks are lame. I guess if you are gonna be a breeder and have hundreds of snakes then tanks are not practical, but I want to be able to see my animals. I dont want them to be in a tub all there lives. Granted this is just my opinion but I would never ever get a rack system. If you are only going to have the 2 snakes them buy a nice open front tank(door on front) and stack them both. Much nicer than some rubbermaid tubs. Like I said just my opinion and I dont mean to sound like im attacking people with racks like I said they are practical in certain situations.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

Purchase a rack with caution... it will lead you to purchase more snakes until it is full!

I love my racks... most ball pythons like to hide many hours a day, and most of mine hang out in the rear end of the tub during the day and come to the front at night.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikedahitman87 View Post
    I have looke at those drawers/drawer sets and there isn't any good way to heat them. They are pretty flimsy and there isn't any good place to put some heat tape. I have some in my closet with some clothes in them and the sides bend a little because of the weight.

I don't know my snake's weight because I don't have a scale. He is about 30 inches long and has nice thickness about him.

Please do not listen to this post

I am sorry but the thing is, how are you going to be able to heat, keep the humidity right, and keep the bp from escaping one of those things

Just forwarning you to not read the first reply to your thread and listen to it. Just be patient and let other people tell you what they have experianced and worked best with.

Thanks

scratch that reply i just said

holy crap, i need some sleep

Thanks

I have 13 royal pythons and have 4 racks and 4 reptile cages; all from Rich at RBI. I have my three girls that will breed next season in the cages because they are larger and they like to cruise around at night. Notice I said at night. With the lights out. Yeah, I pretty much see the pythons in the cages as much as I see the pythons in the tubs: when I take them out to be a bother on their reality! lol!!

Really, I have never had a tank, but the tubs and the cages are both super easy to maintain temps and humidity in. I have 2 boas (actually one boa and one boa coming) in 2 more cages that 2 more royals will go into when the boas outgrow them (less than a year, I reckon!) I'm looking to get one more boa, meaning one more cage for one more girl.

So, to your question of "Should you..." Should is a pretty dysfunctional word in this scenario. Do you want to? This is the only question. If you are thinking that the tank is becoming a pain in the rear, and still want the look of a viv, please consider a reptile cage at any of the really good vendors: Reptile Basics, Animal Plastics, ummmm, I know there are more.... brain burp- sorry!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

If you cant or dont want to build your own. Here are some nice racks. I have herd nothing but good things about them. I dont own any of them. I have bought from the site before great service and fast shipping.
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/Iris-CB...k-p-16183.html

Thanks

Racks are the way to go. You can control the temperature easily, and as described above balls like to hide so the tubs work great. Easy to clean and don't take up much space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast