Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,730

5 members and 2,725 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

To vent... or NOT to vent-That is MY question.

Seeing it's eggie time...

I've read, and or heard anything from vent your eggs every day, to vent every three days, to seal that box and vent in the last two weeks, etc... all scenarios leading to success.

So obviously there is no "one way" to incubate successfully. Especially when you factor in all the different incubators, substrates, environments, and so on.

I guess this is my question... Is venting case sensitive? As in dependant on what substrate your using?

Example: "I use vermiculite, so I need to vent every day"...

Not even sure if this qualifies as advanced...?

Just thought it would be a good subject for feed back!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Re: To vent... or NOT to vent-That is MY question.

Last year I peeked in once per week and opened up the egg boxes. I was using substrateless incubation and they all hatched out perfect. I'll probably do the same thing this year just because I like watching the embryos inside develop and making sure all of the eggs are doing fine Wigglers!

I've read that you don't even have to circulate the air in the egg box at all. A good number of breeders just leave the egg box alone for 60 days.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Sweet! Thanks Becky

I've read that too somewhere.... did you haft to replace the water at any point? I know tap water is chlorinated, but I wonder if it goes stagnant at some point? I've got one substrateless box that's been up with the same water for about a month now and it seems to be fine...
    Thanks again for the feed back!

Thanks

In my experience, I completely sealed the egg box using press and seal. In the beginning I was checking on the eggs and opening the box every day. When I did that, the humidity would not stay high enough. I backed down to every few days and the humidity did a lot better. During the last few weeks of incubation when the temps inside the box rose and the box really started having a lot of condensation, I opened the box every day again, and sometimes I'd wipe the condensation off the press and seal. When it came to be just a week or two before the hatch date, I took the press and seal off of the box and just used the lid of the tub so it was not perfectly sealed.

I used vermiculite and a few pieces of damp moss in the box.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Nope, I didn't have to replace the water. At one point, I had to soak up some of the water with a paper towel because a clutch of 7 was so heavy, it started sinking, even with 2 layers of the light grating underneath. I'm thinking of using some pieces of pvc pipe to hold the grate above the perlite/water. They all hatched out fine though.

The water seemed fine though and didn't get icky.

My egg boxes didn't really get condensation on them except a bit on the sides. I had a shoebox tub filled with water in the bottom of the incubator so the humidity would equalize. Didn't make the Acu-Rite too happy, LOL. It quit working(the one inside the bator) from getting so humid.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Gotcha! *taking notes every day*

I know if you use a substrate, it's better to go with as large of a container as possible, I'm assuming that going substrate-less... it's ok to use a 6qt... correct?

I'm just gonna ask stuff as it popes into my head

Thanks

I used a 6qt last year for a 5-egg clutch(BIG surprise to me as the snake was a rescue) and it worked out fine. Put Press N' Seal over it, and put the lid over that. Held humidity just fine and the eggs did great(all 5 were girls).

For my non-surprise clutches, I used those red-topped rubbermaid food storage containers. They were 2 for.. $9 I think? I'm going to use 15qt tubs this year just for the added space.
    --Becky--

Thanks

Great to know Becky! Thanks again for the input... I figured a 6qt would work... I was just curious about the size!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

We use a 2:1 Vermiculite/Perlite blend. I used to always open up the egg box once a week, mostly to check the eggs, but they obviously got some fresh air while the top was off. Toward the end of last season, we were so busy with hatchlings, that I didn't have time to check the eggs that often, so many of our last clutches went a month, and some the entire 60 days without ever getting any fresh air. I did not notice any problems from doing it either way. As Rapture stated, I think the only regulating force here is checking too often, and having the humidity stay too low in the box. As long as your heat is spot on, and your humidity stays very high, I don't believe they need any "fresh air".

Hope that helps,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've done the same as Tim, although I did at one point cut a small vent hole in one of the tubs just to see what would happen.

Nothing different came of it, as the humidity stayed up there, and the temps were good.

Not an exact science by any means, but make sure not to dry them out. That has happened to me before as well...
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast