Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,773

0 members and 2,773 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

help, apparently i cant get Prevent-A-Mite?

Hey guys, i seem to be having a problem getting PAM in new york state. i ordered it www.pro-products.com and they have a great website, etc but i just received this email from the owner

Dear Samantha,

Unfortunately, Provent-a-mite(tm) is not available in NYS. The NYS DEC has
    decided to refuse to honor our Federal section 18 registration. Due to the
    manner in which NYS conducts itself regardless of any state or federal laws,
    we have decided not to deal with their underhanded tactics, so will not
    register the product for sale in NY.
    We can sell the product in all other states, but for the above reason, we
    can't offer it in NY.

We have canceled your order and your credit card has not been charged.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Bob Pound promist@comcast.net
    Pro Products www.pro-products.com

i found small bug-like-things on aspens substrate today. i house her on paper towels and have been for months now. she's been healthy and happy. i cleaned everything in her tub with the hottest water i could and changed her substrate and cleaned the tub with a 1.0% bleach solution as a temporary measure and gave her a little bath (luke warm water) to make sure nothing was on her or bothering her. i ordered PAM as soon as i saw the bugs so i could use and and get rid of them, then i received that email.

what should i do? are there any places i can get PAM in New York State? other websites? help!

Thanks

Re: help, apparently i cant get Prevent-A-Mite?

not even 3 hours ago, I was cleaning up a mite infestation in my little buddies cage (he hasn't been named yet). I'm pretty sure that the active ingredients in PAM are the same as "bedding spray" for lice in humans. ( .50% permethrin) I used "reptile relief" ON the snake (follow directions to a T) and the drug store brand bedding spray on everything else (EVERYTHING ELSE!) Then, after rinsing everything, I replaced the substrate (eco-earth) with paper towel and left only 2 hides and a water dish, and my trusty accurite thermometer. This way IF there are any mites left I'll see them easier on the white paper towel. I believe there's a sticky about this somewhere here

Chris
    1.0 ('07)Ball Python- Vlad
    1.0('08)cinny- Marius
    0.1 fiance- Keri
    0.0.10 frozen rats

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kneepoles View Post
    not even 3 hours ago, I was cleaning up a mite infestation in my little buddies cage (he hasn't been named yet). I'm pretty sure that the active ingredients in PAM are the same as "bedding spray" for lice in humans. ( .50% permethrin) I used "reptile relief" ON the snake (follow directions to a T) and the drug store brand bedding spray on everything else (EVERYTHING ELSE!) Then, after rinsing everything, I replaced the substrate (eco-earth) with paper towel and left only 2 hides and a water dish, and my trusty accurite thermometer. This way IF there are any mites left I'll see them easier on the white paper towel. I believe there's a sticky about this somewhere here
    i just dont feel comfortable doing that. i'd rather use the products thats is ment for it.

thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks

Banned
    Thanks

Yes....our government has decided to put the squeeze on the owners of PAM, but really it's retaliation by the owners of Black Knight that started it.

The new Black Knight does not work anywhere close to as good as the old for anyone that purchases it. It kills those little flies, but the Mites I received from a "trusted source" looked at me and laughed when I used the new BK.

I wouldn't order it from another company. You might be made an example of. The company told you it was illegal, so you really have no excuse if you receive it from someone else.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here is where I get mine from http://www.entirelypets.com/proventamite.html
    Deborah Stewart

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kneepoles View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the active ingredients in PAM are the same as "bedding spray" for lice in humans. ( .50% permethrin)
    Because a product contain some of the same ingredients does not make it the same product.

Only PAM (Provent a mite) has undergone over 14 years of research, only PAM is designed for it's use with reptiles.

Long term effect of other products are not known.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    Yes....our government has decided to put the squeeze on the owners of PAM, but really it's retaliation by the owners of Black Knight that started it.

The new Black Knight does not work anywhere close to as good as the old for anyone that purchases it. It kills those little flies, but the Mites I received from a "trusted source" looked at me and laughed when I used the new BK.

I wouldn't order it from another company. You might be made an example of. The company told you it was illegal, so you really have no excuse if you receive it from someone else.
    i just dont understand. im not supposed to be able to treat my animals for something i dont even understand?

i dont know what the DEC is. i dont understand half the email but i thanked the owner anyway for the information regardless. and i appreciate all of you helping me.

i will not use a product on her i dont feel safe using. maybe if someone could point me to a site that tells me which small bugs i might be looking at that could help too. then if i cant get PAM i could get something made to kill them specifically.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post

How would she be made an example of ??

how would anyone even know if she ordered from somewhere else ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast