Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

1 members and 3,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Converting from f/t to live....

I am considering adopting some baby snakes around 500g. They are currently on f/t. I prefer to feed live. I've never really had to "convert" a snake to live feedings. Is this a difficult thing to do?

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: Converting from f/t to live....

Nope. Might want to consider keeping them on f/t tho. It is easier if you have a small collection. especially if you already have some that feed live only....

Think about it. if you buy a live rat for your live eater and they refuse it, you can euthanize him and store him for one of your t/f eaters. If not you have to keep him alive for a week or more, of course he will get bigger and bigger each and every day!

why would you want to feed live when you don't have to?
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

If there feeding on f/t leave them that way! a dead mouse/rat can't hurt your snake and its cheaper. If you insist on feeding live just drop a mouse in and he'll do his thing.
    MIKE

This space for rent

Thanks

Transitioning to live should not be a problem at all, although I do agree that f/t is easier, and in some cases better and more convenient to you and the snake
    "Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

- Alyssa

Thanks

I agree with keeping them on f/t! My balls all came to me on live, and my adult male had some troubles with the med. rats he was fed, he got some nasty (luckily not too horrible) bites while on live until I was able to get him on f/t. If you do switch to live it will be an easy transition usually, but switching back to f/t can be a problem and can take a very long time.

The only people I know that feed live are people with large snake collections, and even then some of them pre-kill the mice/rats before giving them to the snakes so their animals do not get injured (by large collection I mean they have 20+ snakes, I feed all 12 of my snakes f/t with no problem).

Also some benefits to f/t:
    You don't have to care for them since they're dead
    You can store them so you don't have to breed your own or buy them from a store every week
    They can't hurt your snake!
    They are usually cheaper than live

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

They'll take live fine. It's instinctual to them.

I only feed live, and on rescues I often don't know what they've fed on before. No one has had a problem with feeding live.

Let's not turn this into a live vs. f/t debate, there are a lot of thread already on that topic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    They'll take live fine. It's instinctual to them.

I only feed live, and on rescues I often don't know what they've fed on before. No one has had a problem with feeding live.

Let's not turn this into a live vs. f/t debate, there are a lot of thread already on that topic.
    Exactly! The question was on how to change them over... Because obviously the choice has already been made to feed live. Funny thing is that debate always pops in off topic...

Piebald... I would definatley start with either really stunning or pre killing the prey for the ones that are used to f/t... just in case they can't handle a live and kickin one for their first couple times. Chances are they will take a live fine... But it is best to take little steps when introducing something new.
    Last edited by SoCaliSon; 04-08-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoCaliSon View Post
    Exactly! The question was on how to change them over... Because obviously the choice has already been made to feed live. Funny thing is that debate always pops in off topic...

Rabernet... I would definatley start with either really stunning or pre killing the prey for the ones that are used to f/t... just in case they can't handle a live and kickin one for their first couple times. Chances are they will take a live fine... But it is best to take little steps when introducing something new.
    I respectfully disagree, I do not feel that stunning is humane, nor necessary. If you choose to feed live, and do so following the recommended guidelines for feeding live, there should be no problems for her snake to take care of the prey on its own.

Pre-scent for 20-30 minutes, drop prey at opposite end of enclosure from snake (allowing snake to hunt from their hide), and remove prey within 30 minutes if the snake has no interest. Those basic guidelines have worked for me and countless other live feeders that find stunning completely un-necessary.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    I respectfully disagree, I do not feel that stunning is humane, nor necessary. If you choose to feed live, and do so following the recommended guidelines for feeding live, there should be no problems for her snake to take care of the prey on its own.

Pre-scent for 20-30 minutes, drop prey at opposite end of enclosure from snake (allowing snake to hunt from their hide), and remove prey within 30 minutes if the snake has no interest. Those basic guidelines have worked for me and countless other live feeders that find stunning completely un-necessary.
    Sorry... That comment was mistakenly directed to you but was meant for the original poster... Piebald...I edited that. Anyway... I completly agree that your method should be safe... for a snake USED to feeding Live. I recommend stunning in the beggining simply as a safety precaution for what might happen. Better safe than sorry, and once something happens it is already too late. There will ALWAYS be a risk while feeding live aware prey... the same danger exists in the wild. I think the chances of live prey injury are much higher in a snake that has not been raised feeding on live food. Attacking quickly and accurately is something that snakes get better at with practice. I agree that feeding on live animals is natural for them and the feeding reflex is instinctual, but if you keep an animal in an environment long enough where it doesn't have the need to exercise it's instictual behavior, eventually they will lose touch with those pre-programmed behaviors.

You said wait 30 mins with the prey in... When there is a live rat in with one of my snakes I supervise every second... and have never seen one live in one of my snakes tanks for more than 2 mins... By minute 3 the snake is unhinging it's jaw every time. Half an Hour is a long time for the worst to happen. And I doubt you sit by and supervise the whole half hour. I feed live to all my reptiles cause I personally am opposed to F/T. The only real recognized down side to feeding live is the danger to your snake. Stunning is the perfect solution for anyone who thinks that it is just not worth the gamble but still want their snake to eat a live fresh meal. I think this is logical and safest way to switch over a snake who has always fed on F/T. The snake may attack the stunned rat like a champ... In which case I would let them go for a non stunned rat the next week no prob... But IMO there is to much risk involved to just have them jump right in to live feeding especially since they have never experienced another animal moving around in their space with them. My snakes know that a little animal moving around in their cage means food... But a snake fed F/T it's whole life has never had the opportunity to relate that with food and may just take the defensive or hide. They may handle it fine casue that is how nature designed them to eat... But since my snakes are in my care and not in the wild... And I have to pay the vet bills... I always play it safe.
    Last edited by BP.net Staff; 04-08-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: editing out censored word

Thanks

I have to disagree with only a few points. A snakes instinct to strike and coil is an instinct from birth. A snake raised on FT still knows how to strike and coil FT prey, although they may be a little awkward when they strike, they instinctively know what they are doing.

To the OP
    In my experience, the snakes raised on FT are more excited and alert when given a live animal. They are usually the ones that will nearly take my head off, and squeeze the crap out of the rat. Mine have always overcompensated when introduced to a live animal, and as they get used to it, tend to relax more with experience and gain confidence in regards to energy expenditure to kill the rat.

It's not a use it or lose it talent in my humble opinion. I do heartedly disagree with stunning, but I have been down that path of debate, so let us keep on topic. I hope some of my experience is useful to the OP.

Just my .02 cents

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast