Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

1 members and 2,899 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: How Often Do You Feed Your BP?

Voters
800. You may not vote on this poll
  • every 5 days

197 24.63%
  • every 7 days

523 65.38%
  • every 10 days

39 4.88%
  • every 14 days

41 5.13%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: How Frequently Do You Feed Your BPs?

Babies every five days my adults every seven.

Thanks

Thanks Gorilla! That post was really informative for anyone who feeds F/T...

Crazy about that poor guy! Sounds like he may have unintentionally ate some meat! If your body is not used to it, it will make you incredibally sick like that... As far as pulse stopping and no breathing... that is pretty scary.

Also... Much Respect! Keep up the good work on your calls... I am 23 and almost died from a sudden annurism above my stomach a couple months back... If the EMT's would not have been as thourough as they were it would have been passed off as stomach flu and I would have been dead within a couple hours. I've got a scar going down the entire length of my stomach... But thanks to people like you I still get enjoy Breathing! Thanks

Registered User FireproofGorilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the kudos man. I really love what I do. My patient today didn't even want to goto the hospital at first. I had to talk him into it! Yeah, I know some vegetarians that get sick when they have beef broth! But, us humans need our nutrients from meat AND veggies. Gotta love those incisors! lol Watch that blood pressure if you've had an anuerysm. I had a 60 yo female pt who was having a heart attack which caused her BP to spike and caused her aneurysm to burst again. It was aortic and she died in the cath lab. Said commentary.

Keep up the good work with those reptiles, bro. I like sharing information with people and learning. You're a pretty well-rounded and level-headed guy from what I can tell. Keep in touch!
    -Gorilla

"Alright, thumbs up, let's do this!" -Leeroy Jenkins

0.1 Fireball Morph Ball Python - Mila
    0.1 Columbian Red Tail Boa - Xena

Thanks

WCJ thanks for the kudos.

I think we've got some good opinions about this going. As long as people don't start saying "my way, or the hiway" I'm happy.

I love Ron White. All his stuff is funny. But I do take issue with the fact that you 'need' meat in your diet. I've been a vegetarian my whole life, and I have no deficiencies. I'm in perfect health. Medical research has shown that the longest living people on average are vegetarians, their heart rates are an average of 20 bpm lower than the average population. And biologically our digestive system is more tuned to deal with fruit, grain, vegatables, etc... I can find references if you wish.

All that being said. I think you can be perfectly healthy eating meat, and being vegetarian. Just as your snake can be perfectly healthy eating f/t, or live.

Thanks

Thanks for the input Bissell. I didn't mean to imply that vegetarians are more/less healthy than us omnivores. I've got no problem with it. I love my red meat though and I try to stay healthy by working out and moderating my diet. I'm not in too bad shape. I had a g/f that was a vegetarian. I do make sure I get my fair share of veggies though! I love my veggies and my red meat.

I was wondering, as a vegetarian, is it recommended that you take a protein supplement (whey or soy)? Where do you get your fats from? Starches? Just curious. Thanks for keeping everyone informed!
    -Gorilla

Thanks

lol. I took no offense.

Really, vegetarians don't need to take any protien supplements. I don't. If you've got a reasonably balanced diet there aren't any problems. All the protein the human body needs can be gained if you eat different grains (not just wheat), rice, and beans. Fats, you're body doesn't need much fat at all. Veggie Oil, and Olive oils, and veggie based butter product give all the fat needed, even in very small amounts. Your body actually produces most of the fats it needs from other foods. Starches really aren't hard to get as a vegetarian, potatoes are a big source.

Now the thread has been hijacked

My bad...

Thanks

haha, we'll stop hijacking. thanks though!
    -Gorilla

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 51-50 Python View Post
    for that size.. i would recommend 1 mouse a week.. n when it gets bigger like 2 feet long.. start giving it small rats once a week... but dont ever give it something u think it cant handle because i made that mistake once by giving my ball a huge rat.. and i would also recommend giving ur ball live mice instead of frozen.. i dont know why poeple even give it frozen food at all i guess some people are scared the mouse or rat will damage the snake but ive never had that problem and ive had my ball for 5 months
    No offense but 5 months isnt very long. I feed live also But I watch it the whole time untilwither the snake takes it or I am satisfied that the snake will not eat it and remove it. I also do not feed live to my larger snakes only when they are babies. I find it harder to get my babies to eat F/t. If you wanna see any photos of animals that have been bitten by their prey If no one else post them I will.,
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

i feed mine a rat every wednesday.

wonder who voted 14 days??

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 51-50 Python View Post
    u mean as in live mice have parasites and frozen ones dont? plenty of ppl feed live mice and have never had a problem with parasites
    My only all live feeder has gotten tapeworms and pinworms. Pinworms are no biggie, but tapeworms are not good. I gave him meds for both. It is something I have to deal with because he only eats Live. I feel whatever someone's snake will eat reliably and is ok for their owner is what they need to eat. Most of my snakes eat well and get just as excited over FT. Some over of my males are unenthusiatic about FT, so i try to give them live as often as I can. To me, people feed their dogs all kind of trash, I feel like feeding your dog anything but raw meat and bones and whole animals isn't necessarily their ideal diet. But not everyone can do this sort of thing. I don't think someone who feeds their dog kibble is any less a dog lover, just like I don't think someone who feeds their family vegetarian is any less concerned about their family's health. i believe most people should eat animal proteins because it is how they evolved.
    I think the argument over FT vs live or PK is dumb. You gotta do what you gotta do. There are pros and cons to both. Many snakes like kings and corns will eat a pre-dead animal in the wild, they aren't specifically scavengers, but they will take a freebie when they find it. Well raised live ASF rats is probably the ideal diet for balls, however not all of us can hand raise the little dudes. As long as you aren't feeding your snake hot dogs or cooked mice, it's PROBABLY healthy enough. If you think FT might destroy some vitamins, look for supplementation. Don't feed stuff that has been frozen for more than a year or so and if you do feed live, be prepared for your snake to get bit at least once or twice-it's why they have such touch scales! Have some tongs ready to redirect a possible bite. It's really all a matter of what someone feels is best. I appreciate those of you trying to present your feelings and opinions because there really isn't any evidence for or against either side being "THE BEST WAY TO DO IT!" If you read something somewhere, post a link here so we can read it too.

I feed babies (200-300 grams or less) an adult mouse or baby rat every five days, and anyone bigger gets either as many adult mice as is appropriate to make a noticeable lump or a good sized rat. Usually most large adult BPs are well fed a small rat, but don't hesitate to check and make sure with a good herp vet or an experienced and trustworthy person about what size is ideal for your snake!
    1.0 Het Piebald (Lycaeus)
    1.0 Spider (V "Fawkes")
    0.1 Piebald (Fia)
    0.2 Pastel (Chalcomede & Daeneyrs "Dany")
    0.1 orangebelly (Secha "Veruca Salt")

R.I.P my babies
    Texas luecistic ratsnake (Ripley) 0.1
    Ball Python (Ariadne) 0.1
    Ball Python (Montreal) 1.0

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast