Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,406

2 members and 3,404 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question debating on this pet-store find

Sigh My husband and I went to a Buffalo pet store over the weekend. They do not order-in and sell BPs, but if people consign them there, they do have them for sale. Well, there was a Huge female there. My husband popped her and sure enough, she's a she. She is literally the largest BP I have ever seen; around 5' but maybe a few inches longer. But.. girthy! Her girth exceeds the width of a beer can and then some. I swear, she looks like she has eggs in her. The only background that I have is that her former owner had her for 4 years, never bred her, and did not have any other snakes. I think that her fattiness could maybe be due to overfeeding?
    She has some pretty drastic retained shed. All is fine, save for about 6 inches going from her nose down her neck. One retained eyecap. I explained how to remove those to them, but I am not confident that they'll follow through. I moved her in my hands and managed to Gently remove some of the shed on her neck (it did not go completely around her body anywhere, which is good.)
    So.. the debate. I want her. I want to get her out of that place. I know that the $$ I give to them will go to the guy who consigned her there, not them; they might make $10 off of her. They are not the most stellar pet store out there but really, all of their animals were in fine condition and cages, besides this snake. It is not a case of "I will buy this snake and they'll just replace it with 100 more."
    They want.. $80. I would of course Not even think of breeding her this year; 90 days' strict quarantine would definately be observed. I am thinking of purchasing her this weekend really. But I am of course a bit nervous, since I do not know the man who owned her, or her history, and of course a vet visit and deparasitization will happen if I do. Space is not an issue; $ is, but I have something that I can easily sell on ebay by then.
    So.. I am mulling this one over! I feel bad for her of course, being there with the retained shed, but it is definately something that I could easily deal with. she eats fine and is eating live rats in their care. If I don't get her, I still plan on going down there and removing that skin, as that is just unacceptable. Your thoughts?
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Re: debating on this pet-store find

Is there any way you could find out aout her history from the previous owner? Perhaps the store could get in contact with him about it... Personally, in a case like this, I would buy her.

I've always been a softie for rescues. If nothing else, you will have rescued an 'underpriviledged' animal and give her another chance at finding a happy home in which she'll be loved and well cared for.

I say do it.
    Loki Kali
    Merlin

Thanks

I am leaning towards it Now I just have to post a few breyer horses on ebay.
    Edit: Gasp! My husband wants to get her too...
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

i would totally do it shell be more happier with you than those neglectful pet stores

Thanks

If you want her, buy her Jen. She's not really a rescue coming out of a pet store but heck remember my two biggest females were pet store dump offs (ex-pets literally dumped off at a local private pet store). As long as you do strict QT with her and check her out well, she may be a lovely addition to your collection one day.

Since the pet store is selling her on consignment I'd definitely tell them that you want any available information on this snake from it's past owner.
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

you only live once!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

If she is a nice female with size like that, then for $80 I would go for it. Has the pet store fed it/seen it feed?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hi, Ginevive!

I was at our local PetCo today. They're charging $80.00 for CH babies. They've got a thermometer in the tank that reads 70 degrees, and the kid who covers herps says there's no hot-spot - and that the snakes won't eat. (Cheez, I wonder why??) I tried explaining some things he could try to help, but if the store won't spring for heat, it ain't gonna work.

I'd go for the big girl, if it were me . . .

~Bruce

Thanks

Go for it!
    Better in your care then someone who doesn't know proper care and could make her suffer any further!

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks

As my my signature (and tattoo) say, CARPE DIEM!

I wish I had the ability to rescue a few that I have seen at pet stores recently, but space, time, and money are ALL issues. My girlfriend and I have been discussing what can be done about neglectful pet stores recently, and haven't really come up with much. I know that buying neglected pets from them only rewards their poor care, and offering "helpful tips" often goes ignored. Any tips?
    ==========
    Carpe Diem
    ==========

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast