Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,085

3 members and 3,082 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ginevive? Tattoo-knowledgeable people?

I drew up this sketch some time ago and have been toying with it as an idea for a memorial tattoo. For those that have knowledge of "the biz", do you think this design will work well as a tattoo or no? I'm wanting it considerably smaller than this image, and I'm worried the lines will blur beyond recognition as it ages.

Lemme know what you think.

The design isn't set in stone yet, either, so ideas for improvements are more than welcome.

Thanks

Re: Ginevive? Tattoo-knowledgeable people?

how much smaller do you want? because in order for the details to show up it needs to be large, not huge but a fairly good size. good, simple design though, which is great for tattoos
    ~Alli

Thanks

I don't know how well it would work trying to duplicate it exactly as drawn as it has that sketch feel to it. If that's what you're going for, I'm sure there are artists out there who could make it work well. I think the overall design would be great and very easily translated into a tattoo, but the artist will most likely want to redraw it. Keep us updated on it, and of course, pics are required if and when you get it tattooed.

Thanks

What color would the rabbit be also? Whites are very bad for use as solid colors. Whites are better for accents.

Thanks

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't make a nice bit of inking!

As has been said though, the fine lines may cause some issues over the years....Have you thought about thickening them up a bit & having more of an illustrative design???

I'd be more than happy to help & show you what I mean if you're interested!!??

Thanks

I like the sketchy look only because it suggests fur without going into too much detail. If someone can come up with a way to make it look decent with thicker lines, that'd be great. It's just that I wanted it to be realistic while maintaining a cartoon-ish feel.

As for color, It will probably just be a simple black outline with a light brown shading on the rabbit. The spool of thread will probably be blue. I don't like too much color in my tattoos.

Thanks

Really they will just take yours and add to it etc to make it work for them. It is a nice sketch but I would let the artist do his/her version cause they know best. I would even get a couple of artists to draw up a tattoo to see which one you like better.

Good luck...

Thanks

See, the thing with having people draw something up for me is that they want to charge out the wazoo just for the drawing. I live in an area where tattoos aren't very common so the few parlors that are out here know they can charge an arm and a leg even for mediocre work. They have separate fees for the drawing, a consultation, the work itself, etc. And it's not cheap.

Since I can draw fairly well, I prefer to have my design ready to go when I get in there. If they need to make minor adjustments, that's fine, but they can't charge me for them.

It's one thing to pay good money for a GOOD artist. It's another to put up with highway robbery from little boys with a needle.

Thanks

I see a lot of potential for dimensional shading. I am picturing how my husband would do it.. he would add furry shading into the bunny, and maybe reposition it. Maybe a shadow beneath it to give it the effect of popping out of your skin more. You could get a few things around it to "ground" it and not have it just floating in midair on your skin; such as maybe some grass under its feet, or stones, etc. But that would be up to you
    Here's the dirt on tattoo artists charging for artwork. A lot of people like to "window shop" and go into shops wanting something drawn up, only to not really intend on following through with getting it. Many artists tire of this and make policies wherein they charge a deposit for artwork. I know that my husband does, but he incorporates it into the cost of the tattoo.. and the person who wants it, watches him draw it. And if they don't like what they're looking at after a few tries, they get their money back, but no one ever leaves with the artwork. Actually I asked him, and it never happened where someone put down $$ and then wanted it back and left; this is just what he Would do if that happened
    The way that I understand this better, is to put myself in their shoes, and imagine what it'd be like if people walked in all day and took up their time wanting drawings that they weren't serious about. Money kind of filters off the people who'd do this. I am Not implying that you'd be one of these people! But if there was not a connection and a trust, coupled by a stellar portfolio, I would not suggest getting tattooed by an artist anyway and you'd be right to leave the shop.
    I draw also. I am actually having a bear of a time coming up with something that'll lend itself to being tattooed on myself. I drew up the 2 tats that I have now; but they are really not what I want as the years go on, and I am already drawing up cover-ups for them This is really because they looked great on paper to me, but translated into pretty oversimplistic and odd tattooes in my opinion.
    Any more questions, please ask. I can ask Mark about more specifics when he gets home
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

I was thinking about what I know, regarding thin lines, also. It depends on the person doing the tattoo, I have found. I know of one local guy who is just stellar using a single needle. They actually call him "Fine Line" because he just makes these fluid lines that really last. My husband has a tat from him that's about 8 years old, and its thin lines are just as fresh as can be. Thick lines can be a way that inexperienced or hurried tattoo artists hide their mistakes. Going over and over one spot.. the way you'd do if you were drawing with a pen and screwed up the outline of something Yet, thick lines DO have their place, and are awesome in some work.. it just depends. I would definately want to see an artist's portfolio for some thin-line work that they did; but it is iffy, yes, if you don't really get to see older pieces that he/she did.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast