Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,922

2 members and 2,920 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

African Soft Fur Rats

Hello,
    Does anyone know of a website where I can purchase a male and few females for breeding?

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Thanks

Re: African Soft Fur Rats

-Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Hey I went to that website, and saw your post. I replied to you. There's a place in hoosick falls that ive seen had them, at that time i only saw 2 males (brothers) but they might have more by now or can possibly order you some females, just dont tell them you want them as breeders for snakes. lol I also sent you the number via your email. the little store is easy to find, but if you need directions, send me an IM. I live like 15 mins from that pet store. Hope it helps ya

~Maizie

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

why can't he say they are for feeders??? People don't keep those little devils as pet's!!!!!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Mine dont seem all that agressive... They jump away if you pick them up w/o holding the tail but if you just reach in to pet them they are cool with it. Dwarf hamsters are more agressive IMO and alot of people keep them as pets. My GF hates my rats but thinks the ASF's are cute...
    Check out www.killerpets.com and let me know what you think! Always looking for ways to improve the site

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupter View Post
    Mine dont seem all that agressive... They jump away if you pick them up w/o holding the tail but if you just reach in to pet them they are cool with it. Dwarf hamsters are more agressive IMO and alot of people keep them as pets. My GF hates my rats but thinks the ASF's are cute...
    Why does she hate your rats? I feel bad feeding my rats to snakes since they're smart, friendly animals, but I have no problem feeding off ASFRs. You can pet them if you're careful, but they will make you bleed if given a chance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    why can't he say they are for feeders??? People don't keep those little devils as pet's!!!!!
    because the woman there said she will NOT sell them as feeders, i dont know if she would sell them knowing they were going to be used as breeders but i wouldnt chance it. the woman who owns the shop has a daughter who breeds fancy mice/rats and asf, and they will not sell fancy anything as feeders. they include the soft furred rats in that category.

and when i went in there last time, they had 2 males, they will only sell the 2 males (brothers) together because she doesn't want to separate "brothers".

I got my fancy girl mice there, they throw beautiful babies, but i didnt tell them I was going to use them as breeders, which at that time i didn't intend on it. besides what I do with them is my business, not theirs. lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupter View Post

How old are they? once a male gets older... and once the females have babies... you can not "pet" them period.

For me they were very tame at first. I thought a lot of people were exagerating with how vicious they were. Then the babies came. If you stick your had ANYWHERE in the tank, the male will charge from clear across the tank to take a giant chuck out of your hand. The females are just as vicious, they just don't charge at you... they look nice and curious till you are within reach, then WHAM!

They will ALL DIE!!!!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

We have gotten lucky and had mice, ASF's, and Rats give birth recently. The pet stores around here had a sale recently on ASF rats and they seem to always have them, but our opinion is.

Mice are a pain as they really don't like other mice in the cage when they pop and are nursing.

ASF does not seem too bad, but the babies are like as small as mice babies. Granted we got a female from the pet store with intentions of feeding it to a snake that was off food, and the snake still didn't take it. So we kept it and it dropped a litter of pups a couple days ago.

Rats lay the larger litters. "Most" ball pythons "can" handle a rat pup and very few ball pythons will ever get large enough to handle more than a medium to large rat. One of proper size and you are done. Rats are also social creatures so you can leave birthing moms together and swap in and out other females with little to no issues. Rats can also be held easily.

Thanks

It is all about what works for you...

I would NEVER get rats again. THEY STINK, consume large amounts of food and water, and get WAY to big. IMHO before they are even close to breeding age, they have grown to big for ball pythons.... (sure a large ball can eat a med - large rat, but only if you want to have no idea when it will eat again!) So, you get stuck with lots of big x breeders that your snake shouldn't eat.

ASF's are SO much easier! They don't stink, and they consume little food and water. and even an ex breeder (mine are about the size of a small rat but fatter) is perfect size for a larger ball. set up 1.2 or 1.3 tanks / tubs and you are good to go! You never take the males out, or seperate the females.... All you do is remove the babies when weaned, and put multiple litters together in a grow up tank / tub. MUCH EASIER then having to seperate males at the right time, and having somewhere to put them!

BUT they are little devil dogs that will eat a piece of your hand if you let them.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast