Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,533

3 members and 3,530 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Feeding Concerns....Please help me!

I am so lost. I have visited so many sites learning whatever I can (still) that I'm on info overload. My main concern right now is in regards to feeding. My first ball, Naga, which I purchased last April (I was told she was 3-6 mths old) eats 1 mouse every other week and seems satisfied with this. BUT some sites I've been to say she should be eating weekly. I was considering just trying to feed her weekly and see what happens, but I've also read that balls can easily become overweight. Do you see my dilemma? What do you guys/gals think I should do? I'm kind of taking a poll here? Now, onto my next ball, Neela. I received her through the passing of a relative so I don't have much background info on her. I just know she was being fed 2 mice every other week, but she definitely still seems hungry even after 2. I believe I'll move her up to 3 mice. I'm just curious about whether or not to feed these gals (that's what I was told anyway) weekly or bi-weekly. I sure hope I get some helpful info from you guys/gals and soon 'cause it's feeding time!

Thanks

Re: Feeding Concerns....Please help me!

BP's don't easily become overweight as far as I've ever been told and have experienced in our own collection. Over feeding either in size of single prey or total prey volume can trigger a fast as these snakes will self-regulate their own weight gain. I have had one male that got a bit too chunky and wasn't a good breeder. When we adjusted his prey intake he took right off that way. I can't say though that I've ever seen a truly obese BP.

We have 23 BP's here from small 07's up to big mature 02's. Everybody gets either one or two appropriately sized prey items once per week. For me, an appropriately sized prey item doesn't exceed the biggest girth of the snake and doesn't leave a large, noticeable feeding lump. Even for our big females we only offer a small to small/medium rat once per week (occasionally two smalls) which is far smaller than their actual girth.

Hope that's of some help.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    I am so lost. I have visited so many sites learning whatever I can (still) that I'm on info overload. My main concern right now is in regards to feeding. My first ball, Naga, which I purchased last April (I was told she was 3-6 mths old) eats 1 mouse every other week and seems satisfied with this. BUT some sites I've been to say she should be eating weekly. I was considering just trying to feed her weekly and see what happens, but I've also read that balls can easily become overweight. Do you see my dilemma? What do you guys/gals think I should do? I'm kind of taking a poll here? Now, onto my next ball, Neela. I received her through the passing of a relative so I don't have much background info on her. I just know she was being fed 2 mice every other week, but she definitely still seems hungry even after 2. I believe I'll move her up to 3 mice. I'm just curious about whether or not to feed these gals (that's what I was told anyway) weekly or bi-weekly. I sure hope I get some helpful info from you guys/gals and soon 'cause it's feeding time!
    I am sorry that you're feeling overwhelmed The reason might be because there is not only one good way of keeping these snakes. That said, there is a way that a lot of keepers follow and that seems to work. I have 13 balls pythons and I feed them all once every 7 days (every Thursday night). I have read that some members feed prey that is 10% of their snakes weight; so if your snake weighs 200g, you'd feed a prey item weighing 20g. For my snakes, when they hit around 200g, I feed a 55g prey item. When my breeding girls get to the 400g mark, I feed an 80g prey.

I prefer to not feed multiple prey items, though some people do. Right now I have a little female who is almost at 200g and yet I am still feeding her 19g prey size because that is what she is taking. (I have no idea why; she's just a silly thing!) Anyway, I feed her her prey every 5 days until she gets up to the next prey size. This seems to work for her.

So, maybe you could think about feeding every 5 days and move your snake up to an appropriately sized rat prey; mice will become too small (I believe). In the end, you know your snake and will succeed in figuring this out. Asking others is a great way to get info, but sometimes it does feel like an information assault!!!!! Good luck and I hope this has helped you some.

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starmom View Post
    I am sorry that you're feeling overwhelmed The reason might be because there is not only one good way of keeping these snakes. That said, there is a way that a lot of keepers follow and that seems to work. I have 13 balls pythons and I feed them all once every 7 days (every Thursday night). I have read that some members feed prey that is 10% of their snakes weight; so if your snake weighs 200g, you'd feed a prey item weighing 20g. For my snakes, when they hit around 200g, I feed a 55g prey item. When my breeding girls get to the 400g mark, I feed an 80g prey.

I prefer to not feed multiple prey items, though some people do. Right now I have a little female who is almost at 200g and yet I am still feeding her 19g prey size because that is what she is taking. (I have no idea why; she's just a silly thing!) Anyway, I feed her her prey every 5 days until she gets up to the next prey size. This seems to work for her.

So, maybe you could think about feeding every 5 days and move your snake up to an appropriately sized rat prey; mice will become too small (I believe). In the end, you know your snake and will succeed in figuring this out. Asking others is a great way to get info, but sometimes it does feel like an information assault!!!!! Good luck and I hope this has helped you some.
    I agree with you 100%. It is hard to figure out what advice to follow when there is so much out there but it is safe to say that if your snakes are still hungry, well feed them.

My bp would sit in strike mode everyday between feedings when I was giving him 20g mice every 5 days. So hes up 30 gram rats every 5 days and hes only 165 grams. I don't think hes over eating, he is only putting on about 10 grams a week.

Anyway I would say that every 5-7 days is the common feeding schedule around here, but there may be exceptions. Don't be afraid to fatten em up a bit.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks

Mice will never become too small.. That is, unless you're feeding only hoppers to adult females.. That would just be a waste of their energy.

I feed all 45+ Ball Pythons live adult mice every week and they grow wonderfully. Sometimes faster than rat eaters Juvies get 1-2 medium adult mice depending on their size. Under 250g, they get 1 adult mouse, from 300-500 they get 1-2 adults, possibly a third if they are really wanting another.If they are over 500g, but less than 1000g, they generally get 2-3. If they are adult males, they get 2 good-sized adult mice, and if they are adult females, they get 3-4 adult mice.

All in all, gram for gram, rats and mice are the same thing. I would recommend moving up to at least a medium adult mouse. Pinkies and fuzzies are for corn snakes.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

How often does your BP poop? My are just about clock work. Once a week for some, and others once every 2. If your BP is hardly pooping, he's using every little bit of food you give him to just live.

If your BP is sedated for 2 days digesting, I can happily say he's had a good meal.

I can see where the mentality comes from that they only need to eat once a few weeks, because that's what they do in the wild. What's left out is that these animals are eating all they can because they know that there is NO certainty that there will be a next meal.

Also, if you were to post a picture of your snake, I can bet you that many keepers here will tell you if your snake is too thin and emaciated, or looks to be well built and in good shape.

I can't see how feeding a BP once mouse every two weeks is beneficial at all for the snake, and I would tell you to up it to once every 5 or 7 days. Depending on age and size.

There are many very experienced keepers here that will tell you to feed a rat weanling or a few adult mice once a week. I tend to agree. Once you start feeding more, you will see the difference. You will see him grow from week to week, and probably have a better, healthier and well adjusted snake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by missi182 View Post
    My bp would sit in strike mode everyday between feedings..
    I have had my BP for almost a month now and I have never seen "strike mode". When I offer F/T food he barely even pays attention to it. After taking of the screen and offering prey with tongs he is more interested in climbing up and out of the tank than what I am offering. It is getting very frustrating. The pet store I got him from said that they feed F/T, so I thought I would just stick with that, but should I offer live? I don't have a scale, but he seems to be losing weight..
    ==========
    Carpe Diem
    ==========

Thanks

If he's losing weight, then YES, feed him live. Leave him IN his enclosure, pre-scent with the mouse in a secure container next to the snake's enclosure for 30 minutes or so, and then place the mouse on the opposite side of the enclosure that the snake is on. I always feed with the lights off and a flashlight held in my mouth(yes, I look weird..) but the snakes feel more secure eating this way.

Feed live until he's happy about eating and on a consistent schedule, and then if you want, you can try to switch to f/t. Some switch and some don't.. but be prepared to feed live for the next 30 years if he decides he doesn't want to.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Alright, we'll see what the girlfriend thinks about this...
    ==========
    Carpe Diem
    ==========

Thanks

I'm going to try to post two pics I have. Bare with me 'cause I don't really know what I'm doing here. I hope this works.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...a/IMG_0207.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...a/IMG_0293.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast