Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,004

1 members and 3,003 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Flying boa - a feeding story

It was dinner day, a pre-scented room where the rodents where thawing happened to be the room the snakes are kept. Keeps the snakes on feed mode so they are nice and ready when I slide their tub open and present the meal. Some times they are a bit trigger happy and will often cruise the tub with their nose at the very top... err...

Got to one girl tonight, I tried to pursuade her to move to the other corner so I could keep her in the tub better, but she refused. I figured I would notch the tub out a bit, just enough for her to grab the rat, then, since I was using hemostats, after she grabs the rat, I would move her back into the cage. I do it all the time. Well not tonight.

I slid her tub open, she flys out, grabbing the rat, coil and grabbed the side of the tub and would not let go. So there she hung, rat in mouth, body around not only the rat but the outside lip of the tub

Nice, I am getting tired, got to work in the morning and I got a hungry boa hanging from the tub in the rack. I don't want to move her too much, but I don't want her to hang their either because I had other animals to feed and was getting tired and the youngster I was feeding was a slow feeder.

I tried to grab the rat by the tail so I could move her back into the tub and close it so I could get to work, but she has such a grip on it, I managed to pull the skin off the rats tail

So I waited. And waited. About 15 min pass by. So I decide to turn the lights off in the room and got the flashlight and hoped that would get to start munching the rat. I waited in the dark for 5 min and gave up and decided to just continue on feeding hoping she would just continue with out dropping the rat or making a break for it. Then it happened she finaly started to munch down Mean while, I grab another rat and go to the next animal. I kept an eye out for the boa constrictor acting like a tree boa. I move on to yet another animal After a bit, she was hanging down, half in the tub, half out. She pulled the rat up to her neck and curled up, I grab lid from a smaller tube and placed it under her and gently push her back in the tub and finally get it closed

She did not drop the rat, I did not get bit and I got her back in the tub

Anyway, Just thought I would share a feeding experince with you all

Thanks

Re: Flying boa - a feeding story

Oh-ho man I've been there! Nothin' like those first few seconds where you're still trying to figure out what just happened!

Here's my little Lt. Dan taking his meal on the OUTSIDE of his tub:

Thanks

Re: Flying boa - a feeding story

Quote Originally Posted by Allysen View Post
    Oh-ho man I've been there! Nothin' like those first few seconds where you're still trying to figure out what just happened!

Here's my little Lt. Dan taking his meal on the OUTSIDE of his tub:

Basicly what I was looking at