Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,310

1 members and 2,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Feeding ideas needed!

We have an 1800+ gram female. We got her on the 27th of February. Judging from E-mails from the breeder we got her from she had not eaten for 2 weeks prior to being shipped to us. She is a beautiful girl, but she has not eaten for us yet.

When she came in she had a minor RI. We took her to the Vet on the 28th of February and the vet gave us oral meds that she proceeded to spit up. So we took her back to the Vet on the 3rd of March at which time the vet gave her an injection, we stopped the oral meds and started her on daily injections for the RI. On the 10th of March we took her back to the vet and the vet believes the RI is cleared up. He did have some concern over the fact that she seems to have a little too much saliva, but he says it could be due to not eating for a while. So he wanted us to try and get her to eat between that date and her scheduled follow up on the 24th of March. We tried a medium rat on the 11th, then again on the 14th, and then again on the 17th, but did not eat on any of those days. Today we tried an ASF rat to see if she would take to filet mignot, still no eat. So we are trying something different by moving her out of the CB-70 tub and into a sweaterbox to see if it will make her feel more secure. We plan on trying again on the 22nd as we would like to give her a day or two to digest before transporting her to the Vet.

We prescent before feeding currently. She has peed a couple of times for us, but has not pooped yet!

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get her to eat?

Thanks

Re: Feeding ideas needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post
    We have an 1800+ gram female. We got her on the 27th of February. Judging from E-mails from the breeder we got her from she had not eaten for 2 weeks prior to being shipped to us. She is a beautiful girl, but she has not eaten for us yet.

When she came in she had a minor RI. We took her to the Vet on the 28th of February and the vet gave us oral meds that she proceeded to spit up. So we took her back to the Vet on the 3rd of March at which time the vet gave her an injection, we stopped the oral meds and started her on daily injections for the RI. On the 10th of March we took her back to the vet and the vet believes the RI is cleared up. He did have some concern over the fact that she seems to have a little too much saliva, but he says it could be due to not eating for a while. So he wanted us to try and get her to eat between that date and her scheduled follow up on the 24th of March. We tried a medium rat on the 11th, then again on the 14th, and then again on the 17th, but did not eat on any of those days. Today we tried an ASF rat to see if she would take to filet mignot, still no eat. So we are trying something different by moving her out of the CB-70 tub and into a sweaterbox to see if it will make her feel more secure. We plan on trying again on the 22nd as we would like to give her a day or two to digest before transporting her to the Vet.

We prescent before feeding currently. She has peed a couple of times for us, but has not pooped yet!

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get her to eat?
    *Warning: This is not expert advise*

How do you prescent? I prescent IN THE TANK. I figure out which hide Vincent is in and put the Box-O-Rat right next to that hide. I wait 30 minutes, remove the box and the hide and drop the rat in. Usually works for me, but if it's not hungry, then I'm not sure.
    1.0.0 Normal BP: Vincent Vega

Thanks

We prescent with a tupperware container with lots of holes in it. We put the rat in this and set it in the front corner of the tub. We do this for 15 to 45 minutes depending on how many snakes are being fed that day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post
    We prescent with a tupperware container with lots of holes in it. We put the rat in this and set it in the front corner of the tub. We do this for 15 to 45 minutes depending on how many snakes are being fed that day.
    I see. So pretty close to what I do. Sorry I couldn't be more help, still a newbie BP owner.
    1.0.0 Normal BP: Vincent Vega

Thanks

By my count you've had this snake all of 23 days. So in the past month this snake has....

- been shipped
    - been setup in one enclosure
    - switched to another enclosure
    - was found to be ill with an RI
    - taken out of that enclosure three times for transport to the vet
    - been given oral meds
    - been given meds by injection
    - been offered rats
    - been offered ASF
    - been handled likely quite a bit to take care of her medical needs and so forth

Hon, I'd be amazed if this snake did eat for you quite honestly after all this in, what is to a snake, a blink of an eye. I'm not being at all mean here, you've done what you had to for her but think about it from a snake's point of view. For a shy creature like a BP, this is so much change so quickly and could create so much stress that eating isn't most likely on this snake's top ten list right now.....simple survival is.

I know the vet wants her to eat but you need to let the snake become settled in enough to feel the need to eat. Stressed, scared predators are just not as likely to hunt.

Personally I would set her up in a very quiet, very low light, low traffic room of the house (even a large walkin closet would do). Hopefully she's quarantined anyways if you have other snakes. Make sure she's warm, has hides and the right temps and humidity, clean water and if she's all done her meds, leave her be with no handling. Just check the enclosure for poop/pee but other than that no fussing with her for a good solid week or two.

In the meantime get hold of who you got her from. Find out exactly what she was eating, and exactly how they presented the food to her. Mimic that when you next offer her food. These snakes are creatures of habit so use that to help her feel like she knows what's happening in this new, strange environment.

All of the above is just my thoughts. If her health is not stable enough to allow a week of hands off (she's still drooling, wheezing or popping) then of course get back with your vet immediately.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

That is actually what we kinda thought as far as stress goes. The only reason we moved her to the sweater box was the breeder we had gotten her from said she had just moved her up to the CB-70 enclosure size shortly before we bought her and that was when she stopped eating for them.

After this follow up Vet visit as long as the vet doesn't put her on more medication for something we will put her on the regular routine of feeding once every 7 days and pretty much leave her alone other than if any clean up is needed and even after she eats we will leave her alone till she eats second time.

We have been considering cancelling the follow up with the Vet as we have not found anything related solely to a little extra saliva. Her mouth is not enflamed, she is not mouth breathing, has no poping when breathing, and no bubbles. But then you hate to do go against your vets judgement, particularly when he is the areas expert as far as reptile vets go!

Thanks

I agree with Jo . . .

I agree with your thoughts also - I would be concerned with taking her out again to haul her to your vet. You may want to call your vet, tell him/her the current status and suggest that you delay the visit for a few weeks unless new symtoms appear.

Let us know waht happens.
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Thanks

Talk to your vet and explain you are concerned about the stress and trying to settle her in so she can eat. However, if there's any concern at all don't miss a vet visit or a follow-up. It's such a fine line in not wanting to stress the snake but yet not missing a sign that the RI isn't fully gone. Only you and your vet can make this call I think.

Just whenever it's all done with her being hauled about and fussed with, start the "quiet time" clock then and give the snake some time to just de-stress before you try to feed. Trying too often to feed when the snake isn't ready can have the effect of triggering the refusal which is what your trying to avoid in the first place.
    ~~Joanna~~